Firewood Sales Predictions

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Western Oregon, the woods are off limits for the firewood cutters so, while other fuels are low $$$, wood may be in shorter supply. The environmentalists have been putting pressure on eliminating firewood burning so few people in Portland proper burn wood anymore. But I understand that dumpsters downtown are fair game?

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Western Oregon, the woods are off limits for the firewood cutters so, while other fuels are low $$$, wood may be in shorter supply. The environmentalists have been putting pressure on eliminating firewood burning so few people in Portland proper burn wood anymore. But I understand that dumpsters downtown are fair game?
Thats what I hear.:cursing2::cursing2:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... The environmentalists have been putting pressure on eliminating firewood burning so few people in Portland proper burn wood anymore...
(1) It has already been proven that a log that rots away gives off the same amount of carbon emissions as the same log would if burned. It just takes longer to rot than burn.

(2) Forest fires produce 96% of the carbon emissions caused by burning wood each year. Wood burning stoves and fireplaces produce about 3%.

My conclusion is that most environmentalists don't know what they are talking about.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
(1) It has already been proven that a log that rots away gives off the same amount of carbon emissions as the same log would if burned. It just takes longer to rot than burn.

(2) Forest fires produce 96% of the carbon emissions caused by burning wood each year. Wood burning stoves and fireplaces produce about 3%.

My conclusion is that most environmentalists don't know what they are talking about.
Yup, well at least their supporters. To them a diesel pouring out black smoke is bad. They cannot figure that it is mostly carbon that falls to the ground. But hey, Phosphine must be ok since it is clear and won't likely show up on a hydrocarbon emission test.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
6:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sold the last seasoned cord I had last week here in upstate NY. I had to take a little from my personal stash. (I’ll have enough). Taking a small gamble and buying logs to up the inventory for next year to go along with the free wood. We don’t sell a ton of wood, every year its more and more and it all sells.

I just don’t see it slowing here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy Toledo! $9 a gallon for diesel fuel in New York? That is four times the price for diesel in Omaha, NE.

Well, I suppose the best way to choke off demand is to raise the price sky high. I learned that 60 years ago in a high school economics class.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure sales will be good look at gas prices last Thursday.

ScottView attachment 277798 View attachment 277801
Wow it's just over $2 a gallon here, I guess one way to get us to drive a coal powered car with toxic batteries is to raise gas prices to unaffordable!

Somewhere around here I have a magazine that talks about converting your gas powered engine to a wood fired.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heck the US Govt printing office still has the manual cataloged. Problem with wood gas in our current IC engines is it is too dirty. Have to run it though a bunch of filters. Storage is another problem.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heck the US Govt printing office still has the manual cataloged. Problem with wood gas in our current IC engines is it is too dirty. Have to run it though a bunch of filters. Storage is another problem.
Correct I believe in the article it says you need a non-epa carbonated engine for it to work.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure it's a goof. I'm in NY and it isn't that price. Look at the price on the pump.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure it's a goof. I'm in NY and it isn't that price. Look at the price on the pump.
Could be two different stations trying to get attention? Then when you get there and ask for verification, they say "The guy who sets the numbers on our signs made a mistake. We ran out of diesel last night. Sorry about that."

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sales are definitely up in my area and less people doing it. I have turned customers away, regular customers are buying second loads. Lots of people using outside fireplaces and fire pits for social time while keeping physical distance. Out of seasoned wood. Selling partially seasoned (with appropriate warning to customer) and they still want it.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sales are definitely up in my area and less people doing it. I have turned customers away, regular customers are buying second loads. Lots of people using outside fireplaces and fire pits for social time while keeping physical distance. Out of seasoned wood. Selling partially seasoned (with appropriate warning to customer) and they still want it.
I could have written exactly the same thing. I have tried explaining that the wood is not quite seasoned yet. They say, "I don't care. Bring whatever you have. If it's split it will dry fast."

Actually, it will burn OK if they can first get a hot bed of coals. A little extra kindling gets it going. I can usually include that in the delivery, or they can buy fat wood.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. That’s where I am at. As long as they know it has only been split and stacked for 3 months I’m gonna send it. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I only have one or 2 customers I will sell green wood to; only because I know them and they want unseasoned wood. I don't want anybody talking bad about me because their wood won't burn. I have had 10 cord stacked before and it drives people crazy that I won't sell it. I tell them "It's not ready, wait until next year, you won't like it if you buy it".

On more than one occasion I have had people calling me complaining about wood, they bought from someone else, that won't burn. I don't want to be that guy...

Ontario Firewood Resource

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you understand where the world is going, then you will know that firewood will only be more expensive. Think carbon tax, that's just one factor. Eventually they will ban people from using it and say that the trees are for the animals, there aren't enough for humans. I live in Ontario, Canada (in the city of Toronto) and we have the most freshwater lakes, streams and rivers than anywhere in the world (250,000). We border with 4 of the 5 Great Lakes. I tell people that one day we'll be looking at Lake Ontario from shore and they will tell us that there is no water.