Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning folks:

Tossing this out for opinions/advice....

I started selling bundled firewood late last year and had some pretty good success with just a roadside self serve stand and advertising with online local groups. I was wondering if anyone selling bundles has ever included pieces of kindling and used that as a sales tactic to distinguish from other sellers?
A lot of sales now are for camping and backyard firepits, and I thought this might be an incentive.
I have access to unlimited free hardwood cutoffs/waste from several local cabinet shops, so there would be no major effort to include some in each bundle.

Would love to hear thoughts!
Thanks in advance!

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It can't hurt. And like you said how hard could it be. I know of two places I deliver to do a self serve fill a milk crate firewood for campers etc. And most grab some smaller stuff for that purpose.
Anymore the majority of people that buy firewood in bundles are yuppies or urbanite/city folk that end up using a bottle of lighter fluid or a roll of paper towels to start the thing anyway. Lol.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quantity discounts meant a lot to my sales. I was priced rather low when I sold one bundle for $5, two for $9, and three for $12. It was incredible how many customers bought three at a time, and they were not small bundles. I cut the seasoned logs 16" to 18", mostly splits, and eight large logs per bundle. I made a padlocked drop box for money if I was not around or the restaurant was closed -- strictly an honor system.

Nobody objected to burning cottonwood, the Nebraska state tree. Easy to light, good flames, and never had to be doused with water to extinguish it because it burns so fast. I'd even include mulberry for folks who wanted to hear the wood burn: snap, crackle, and pop!

My log bundles were tied together with baling twine and a 5" length of old garden hose for a carrying handle. Customers loved that feature. After tying it up, I would then stuff the bundle with smaller kindling twigs to get the twine even tighter. One guy said, "Wow, that's packed like a sardine can!"

One spring/summer I estimate that I packed and sold over two thousand bundles at only one location -- on the porch of a restaurant near a state park. It was sparsely populated, but occasionally people would also take a bundle or two home with them after visiting the restaurant. And, the restaurant had increased sales from my customers who walked in and bought beverages or sandwiches to go along with the firewood.

So those you have it. Those are the immediate thoughts from a small business owner. Not much profit, lots of work, and lots of fun. I guess I was a glutton for punishment. Oh, and over 75% of my customers were women, but don't tell anyone.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1676393963679.jpeg
One of my good friends just bought one of these firewood bundlers that uses plastic wrap. Not cheap, but it works.