Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool!
So, basically in the US You'd just call it Red Oak?!
Good to know.

What's the "regular" oak then?
White oak?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buck almost exclusively turkey oak, which is much more dense than "regular" oak (You figure out the difference between the two!).
Our white oak is harder and heavier than your turkey oak. Your turkey oak would be comparable to our red oak and black oak which are a little softer and a little lighter. 4A6D3A38-374B-4D7B-80C4-948C9E831130.jpeg1A512A11-6780-405F-9A9C-97FD0468D632.png 32B4321F-2F7D-4081-AEDE-8EF1CAE4361B.jpeg6B82371C-157F-4CEC-8565-831D423E5725.jpeg

Last edited:

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red oak is regular oak here.

Crosscut a piece and look at the end grain. If it has big open pores, it's likely to be red oak. Not sure who decided to call them 'red' and 'white, but the color is a poor way to try to tell them apart.

I usually run 60/30/0 on semichisel here, 60/30/10 on full chisel. I favor semi over full but use both.

I usually need to do a lot of cuts, often in dirty wood, when I fire up a saw, so I have never had much urge to explore square.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TriLink full chisel, not my favorite brand by any means but I can get it to cut fast.
This chain is filed with a Archer FastFiler jig with custom bottom and side rollers.

IMAG1833_1.jpg
IMAG1834_1.jpg
IMAG1835_1.jpg

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon Vanguard, modified, I like these chains they're cutting fast filed right.
Filed with a stock Archer FastFiler jig.

IMAG1836_1.jpg IMAG1836_2.jpg IMAG1837_1.jpg IMAG1838_1.jpg

I have this chain on my MMWS6100

IMAG1839.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, basically in the US You'd just call it Red Oak?!
Not exactly. I think it just points out that ‘oak’ is a large family, and that there is significant variation within it.

I thought that you would like the comparison to Arnold Schwarzenegger!

Philbert

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 45lb a foot dry is very misleading imo for white oak. Those weigh near 75 wet with spring sugar in them. Red oak is closer to 55 most times and under 35% moisture content. Old wet white oak will sink and red will not most times in my experience. Yes, I do drop trees in lakes then cut them up. Sometimes you have no choice.

You have a lot like sycamore but not many like old sugar maples or those other rock hard white maples we get in behind the salt marsh flats. Like wtf... wood. Nasty old stuff with tight grain on some brackish waterway.

The dry land locusts is a mfer to cut with sandy bark and/or loaded with minerals. It eats chain right up. Full chisel round is a half a tank maybe in my 361 20" 3/8 saw. Sandy bark equals three cuts sometimes. Black oak on a wind blown tree line does the same thing. These and frozen wood get cut with Carlton semi chisel and sharpened on a grinder. Anything else is waste of time imo.
25/45/0 035-038 on newer cutters works well.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm have you tried the Swedish/husky roller guides...how would you say they compare to the fastfiler?
I got a Husky roller guide recently, but it is still in its plastic packaging.
Just having taken a look at it I don't like it not having side rollers.

I also have a never used BAHCO roller guide.

I need to try both of them but I really don't want to since I like the Archer FastFiler guides so much.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the husky. I can play with angles a bit where as it seems the Fast Filer is locked in. I want to try a 13/64" vs. 7/32" file in the Husky and see if the smaller dia file will get me more hook and speed. Also want to try smaller dia rollers or modifying the chassis to lower it for faster angles.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the husky. I can play with angles a bit where as it seems the Fast Filer is locked in. I want to try a 13/64" vs. 7/32" file in the Husky and see if the smaller dia file will get me more hook and speed. Also want to try smaller dia rollers or modifying the chassis to lower it for faster angles.
I have worn down two bottom OEM FastFiler roller sets and two custom ones.
As the bottom roller wears the file positions lower within the cutter, there is a small gain in cutting speed but also a significant increase of accelerated dulling - IMHO it is a poor trade off bucking hardwoods.

I love the Archer FastFiler for the fact that the rollers can easily be exchanged, everything is bolted together.
Cutter angle change is simple, though limited due to the jigs construction.
I have made me various bottom and side rollers, I can reposition file height, change cutter angle, even change pitch (work in progress, I am converting a 3/8" jig to .404").

I love the FastFiler's!
Thanks to @SOS Ridgerider and @Philbert I have spares to revert to if I mess up my two customized ones which I am using excessively lately.
Thank You fellas!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the husky. I can play with angles a bit where as it seems the Fast Filer is locked in.
Take the FastFiler's side rollers slider off and You have unlimited choice free handing any angle You desire! ;)

That been said, the FastFiler can be made less precise as the BAHCO and Husky rollers are if You so desire - I don't.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody free files just by hand anymore? Why use a file guide?
Asking for a friend.
I free filed for decades.
Every half dozen sharpenings I'd be off left to right teeth so much my chains wouldn't cut straight no more and I'd have to even them out with a bar mounted filing support.

Ever since I use the Archer FastFiler my chains always cut straight.

Quick free hand touch ups in the field are a no brainer, still do it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nobody free files just by hand anymore? Why use a file guide?
Asking for a friend.
Jeff go look very hard at the last pic of a cutter you posted up on here post #34 or #35. David mentioned your dual angles but you just ignored it. Your side plate has two angles. You knocked down the first angle with a second one on the side plate. A file guide tends to keep that from happening. It will load the saw more and cut slower with the side angle blunted down like that.

More than likely your rolling the file at the end of the stroke or shifting your angle a bit at the end of your stroke. Blow up that pic and go review it on a larger screen like mirrored to the TV. Better yet dust a few off and get fresh pics of several cutters on that loop. See if more look like that.