Echo cs 590,600,620 porting/mod/build thread

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the quick response Brother Red97. On the timing can I just advance stock or do I need the 620 coil?

Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys.! I’ve been porting my 620pw. And ended up with these initial #s:
Int: 100 deg.

ex:80 deg.

trans: 126 deg.

I opened up the lower transfers a bit and tapered them Into the upper to speed up the charge, widened the exhaust a bit and raised the exhaust roof up 4 deg.
I am running no base gasket with a muff mod.
Squish is .031”

do they look like they will be a good initial starting point? I’m having a bit of trouble finding this out. Thanks guys.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys.! I’ve been porting my 620pw. And ended up with these initial #s:
Int: 100 deg.

ex:80 deg.

trans: 126 deg.

I opened up the lower transfers a bit and tapered them Into the upper to speed up the charge, widened the exhaust a bit and raised the exhaust roof up 4 deg.
I am running no base gasket with a muff mod.
Squish is .031”

do they look like they will be a good initial starting point? I’m having a bit of trouble finding this out. Thanks guys.
Keep in mind that I'm not a porter, just my own saws, but I would have left the exhaust where it landed after the base gasket delete and gave it a try because now if you feel it's to high you'll have to have machine work to get it back down. The best way to know is to put it back together and give it a try, it maybe just what your wanting. Hopefully someone will chime in that has tried numbers similar to yours and let you know how it cut. I'm assuming that your EX is 100 and your IN is 80.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Keep in mind that I'm not a porter, just my own saws, but I would have left the exhaust where it landed after the base gasket delete and gave it a try because now if you feel it's to high you'll have to have machine work to get it back down. The best way to know is to put it back together and give it a try, it maybe just what your wanting. Hopefully someone will chime in that has tried numbers similar to yours and let you know how it cut. I'm assuming that your EX is 100 and your IN is 80.

Yes, my exhaust started out at 104 and my intake 80.
So I really just took off about the width of one of the rings and widened it a bit. I have some cleaning up to do the n the exhaust side. I’ll post pics after I clean it up.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ok Ive got my 620p through a few heat cycles and put it in some wood today. ITs a 28" bar with full comp chain. the wood is some nasty crab apple and
the rakers are a tad low for hard wood but i think she did ok considering.

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, but have been a pro lurker for a little while. I purchased a 590 last year to take down a problem tree. I've run saws in the past for firewood gathering, but they were all homeowner type, smaller displacement saws. This 590 was a big step up and I'm glad I did it.

Over time, I've modded it, using forum info and you tube videos, and the performance gains are very noticeable. Up to yesterday, the mods were:

1. Completely gutted muffler, but retained the top deflector and spark screen.
2. Plug high jet rev limiter hole w/JB Weld (I have a replacement solid jet from an 036? Stihl carb).
3. Compression release delete (netted 5 psi of compression).

On Friday, I decided to try my hand at porting. After getting my stock numbers (111* exh, 79* intake, 128ish* transfers, .037" squish. Exh duration: 138*, int duration: 158*, transfers: 102ish*). This is with a base gasket.

I pulled the saw apart yesterday, removed the BG, and rechecked my numbers. I lost 1*across the board, and squish came in at .026".

I'd planned on raising the exhaust roof to 107* (I'm sure you all can see where this is heading) , while leaving everything else alone, with the exception of the bottom of the transfer divider, which I angled to a peak to help with flow between transfers. I ended up getting a bit carried away on the exhaust roof, blowing right past 107* and landing at 102*after gluing the cylinder down with Motoseal. I also was very careful in my chamfer on the exhaust, as I've read horror stories of junking rings and pistons if you don't. Lastly, I widened the exhaust port to 1.15", which is 65% of bore, a well as polishing the runner.

So, at this point, I have the following numbers:
Exhaust duration:158*
Intake duration: 160*
Blowdown: 28*
I only know for sure what the exhaust timing is because it's the easiest one to check with the saw assembled (Oops, forgot to check the rest of the numbers post-work), and it was really the only one I was concerned about, since that was the only port I'd worked on. I just let the rest ride and hoped for the best.

I say all of this because I'd watched a popular channel of an experienced porter who was having all kinds of problems with the 590 he was working on. His numbers weren't anywhere close to mine, so it caused me concern when I saw my final numbers, especially the exhaust.

So, yesterday, I sent it. I filled the gas tank half way, pulled the choke on, yanked on the pull rope 4 or 5 times, and it sputtered. I took off the choke and chain brake, yanked it once more and it came to life! I ran a couple of heat cycles, still thinking something bad was about to happen, but it never did.

I've since run it in some wood, nothing big mind you, but it runs great! When I pull the trigger, it boogies. It's easy to tune and it seems to have quite a bit more pull than it used to have. At max rpm, and when I lean it out, the thing screams. I don't have a tach yet, but I'm thinking it in the upper 13k range, and definitely higher rpm than stock.

Lastly, I'll post some pictures of my "handiwork".

Attachments

• 20220325_175330.jpg
    20220325_175330.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220325_175141.jpg
    20220325_175141.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220325_175125.jpg
    20220325_175125.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220325_175121.jpg
    20220325_175121.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220325_175005.jpg
    20220325_175005.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 33

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm new to the forum, but have been a pro lurker for a little while. I purchased a 590 last year to take down a problem tree. I've run saws in the past for firewood gathering, but they were all homeowner type, smaller displacement saws. This 590 was a big step up and I'm glad I did it.

Over time, I've modded it, using forum info and you tube videos, and the performance gains are very noticeable. Up to yesterday, the mods were:

1. Completely gutted muffler, but retained the top deflector and spark screen.
2. Plug high jet rev limiter hole w/JB Weld (I have a replacement solid jet from an 036? Stihl carb).
3. Compression release delete (netted 5 psi of compression).

On Friday, I decided to try my hand at porting. After getting my stock numbers (111* exh, 79* intake, 128ish* transfers, .037" squish. Exh duration: 138*, int duration: 158*, transfers: 102ish*). This is with a base gasket.

I pulled the saw apart yesterday, removed the BG, and rechecked my numbers. I lost 1*across the board, and squish came in at .026".

I'd planned on raising the exhaust roof to 107* (I'm sure you all can see where this is heading) , while leaving everything else alone, with the exception of the bottom of the transfer divider, which I angled to a peak to help with flow between transfers. I ended up getting a bit carried away on the exhaust roof, blowing right past 107* and landing at 102*after gluing the cylinder down with Motoseal. I also was very careful in my chamfer on the exhaust, as I've read horror stories of junking rings and pistons if you don't. Lastly, I widened the exhaust port to 1.15", which is 65% of bore, a well as polishing the runner.

So, at this point, I have the following numbers:
Exhaust duration:158*
Intake duration: 160*
Blowdown: 28*
I only know for sure what the exhaust timing is because it's the easiest one to check with the saw assembled (Oops, forgot to check the rest of the numbers post-work), and it was really the only one I was concerned about, since that was the only port I'd worked on. I just let the rest ride and hoped for the best.

I say all of this because I'd watched a popular channel of an experienced porter who was having all kinds of problems with the 590 he was working on. His numbers weren't anywhere close to mine, so it caused me concern when I saw my final numbers, especially the exhaust.

So, yesterday, I sent it. I filled the gas tank half way, pulled the choke on, yanked on the pull rope 4 or 5 times, and it sputtered. I took off the choke and chain brake, yanked it once more and it came to life! I ran a couple of heat cycles, still thinking something bad was about to happen, but it never did.

I've since run it in some wood, nothing big mind you, but it runs great! When I pull the trigger, it boogies. It's easy to tune and it seems to have quite a bit more pull than it used to have. At max rpm, and when I lean it out, the thing screams. I don't have a tach yet, but I'm thinking it in the upper 13k range, and definitely higher rpm than stock.

Lastly, I'll post some pictures of my "handiwork".

Welcome to OPE sir.

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you kindly, Mastermind. I'm glad I've found this resource. There are obviously many knowledgeable members here that are more than willing to share.

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, I have. Lots of good stuff. I don't have the ability to cut down the cylinder to set squish, but I can do pretty much everything else. My exhaust is a couple of degrees high compared to what I've seen from experienced guys like Red97, but it's been runing pretty well so far as I heat cycle it. The real test will be to see how it pulls chain in big wood.

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ok Ive got my 620p through a few heat cycles and put it in some wood today. ITs a 28" bar with full comp chain. the wood is some nasty crab apple and
the rakers are a tad low for hard wood but i think she did ok considering.

What were your final numbers after your port work? I believe I have similar numbers and your saw looks to run pretty strong.

My numbers, after Motoseal, are as follows

Ex: 102*, duration of 156*
Int: 79*, duration of 158*
Transfers: 129*, duration of 102*
Blowdown: 27*

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those numbers are just fine for a good running 590 as you have found out.

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Those numbers are just fine for a good running 590 as you have found out.

Yes, at least no load. I've yet to get it in to decent sized wood. Fingers crossed, I'll head a couple hours away from the house to get a cord or two in a couple of weeks. Then, I'll really see what she's worth!

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple hours away for a a couple pickup loads is alot of driving.

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welp, I have an 6'x8' flatbed and can drag a good sized trailer, as well. I'll be heading out with 3 or 4 other guys from work, so the trip will be worth it.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What were your final numbers after your port work? I believe I have similar numbers and your saw looks to run pretty strong.

My numbers, after Motoseal, are as follows

Ex: 102*, duration of 156*
Int: 79*, duration of 158*
Transfers: 129*, duration of 102*
Blowdown: 27*
Sorry I didn’t see this till today. I’ve had a crazy week!

my final numbers are:
Ex: 100
Int: 80
Trans 126

trimmed cylinder down to get to .020” squish
And installed a ms 361 jet and the thring screams!!!
W/ a bar I’m hitting 14.4k rpm’s.
I need to make a different video of this thing now. I cut the cylinder installed the 361 jet and added a red beard saws air filter.

Last edited: