Echo 4910/501p “shortcomings”

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
8:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As some know, I’m quite a fan of these little guys in ported form. Tons of features I love about them.

Some called these a 346 killer, I don’t know about all that but I think it’s a possibility. These saws are consistently hitting 5.5hp on @Red97 ’s dyno, that’s pretty impressive for a $300 50cc saw!

On Facebook @huskihl mentioned a few things that he felt really hindered these saws from becoming the rocket ship that 346’s can be. What I’m hoping of this thread is that guys who are experienced with these can point out what we feel like holds these back, and what we can do to make them even stronger. I’ll put up a few pics to get the conversation going! I didn’t go in depth with Kevin on Facebook because most there are too dense to understand, and it’s better recorded here. He mentioned exhaust port width, carb, and transfer issues hold them back. Curious what others think about these little guys.

Not a dig at Kevin, I don’t disagree with him, just wanna see if collectively some ideas can be kicked around, for fun and stuffs.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston pictures are with a stock 346 NE piston just for comparison. Alright guys, what downfalls do we see here and what can be done to fix?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As some know, I’m quite a fan of these little guys in ported form. Tons of features I love about them.

Some called these a 346 killer, I don’t know about all that but I think it’s a possibility. These saws are consistently hitting 5.5hp on @Red97 ’s dyno, that’s pretty impressive for a $300 50cc saw!

On Facebook @huskihl mentioned a few things that he felt really hindered these saws from becoming the rocket ship that 346’s can be. What I’m hoping of this thread is that guys who are experienced with these can point out what we feel like holds these back, and what we can do to make them even stronger. I’ll put up a few pics to get the conversation going! I didn’t go in depth with Kevin on Facebook because most there are too dense to understand, and it’s better recorded here. He mentioned exhaust port width, carb, and transfer issues hold them back. Curious what others think about these little guys.

Not a dig at Kevin, I don’t disagree with him, just wanna see if collectively some ideas can be kicked around, for fun and stuffs.
5.5hp …is that ported I’m guessing?

Thanks for the mention. I love the saw; built well, great oiler, priced right. I’ve only ever been into this one, and that was only once so far until I get some time. So other guys could very well be getting more out of them

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5.5hp …is that ported I’m guessing?

Thanks for the mention. I love the saw; built well, great oiler, priced right. I’ve only ever been into this one, and that was only once so far until I get some time. So other guys could very well be getting more out of them
Yes the 5.5hp is ported, stock they’re a messily 3.25 hp approximately lol.

The carb and exhaust width I can see, what do you dislike about the transfers?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the 5.5hp is ported, stock they’re a messily 3.25 hp approximately lol.

The carb and exhaust width I can see, what do you dislike about the transfers?
Not a fan of the secondaries being twice the size of the mains. Don’t know if it matters or not, it just doesn’t fit into my MO

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a fan of the secondaries being twice the size of the mains. Don’t know if it matters or not, it just doesn’t fit into my MO
Makes sense. I wondered what other guys were doing with those. Anyone know if Mitch Weber is on here? He’s built lots too.

I raised my mains and left the secondaries bone stock with great results, I wonder about taking t he ramp out if it would help.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense. I wondered what other guys were doing with those. Anyone know if Mitch Weber is on here? He’s built lots too.

I raised my mains and left the secondaries bone stock with great results, I wonder about taking t he ramp out if it would help.
I believe I did something similar. The ramp kinda helps the charge swirl up and around. But it’s a bunch more than most saws

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It ends up being a huge stagger between them, but it seems like I’m getting the benefit of fast response from the low blowdown on the main and keep torque with the lower secondary. It’s worked for me but I didn’t know how others are doing it!627ECEB2-3028-4990-9FCC-A7DDA2092FB4.jpeg

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It ends up being a huge stagger between them, but it seems like I’m getting the benefit of fast response from the low blowdown on the main and keep torque with the lower secondary. It’s worked for me but I didn’t know how others are doing it!View attachment 321878
Must’ve been a different saw. Mine aren’t that far apart I don’t believe

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked and the only pictures I have are the base and squish band cuts. Didn’t take any pictures since it was for myself
The two I’ve done were just base cut, my personal saw has exhaust at 102 and 190 psi with .038” off the base. Were you able to pump yours up a good bit more?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The two I’ve done were just base cut, my personal saw has exhaust at 102 and 190 psi with .038” off the base. Were you able to pump yours up a good bit more?
.040 from the band and 106-7 on the exhaust. I didn’t figure I could keep the walls and roof straight without going through at 104