Dyno

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made up some brackets for the tach, pump tach sensor, flow valve and welded them and everything that was tacked on. after that I sanded the table down with a flap disc, primed and panted it. I ran out of pant so the tank and other pieces are going to have to wait until I get to town and get some more.

KIMG3379.JPG

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To cut down on oil mess, I block off the oil holes in the bar and use 'belray superclean' on the chains, a dry type spray motorcycle chain lube that's made to not fling off or be too sticky.
That's a good Idea, I've used chain wax on my bikes in the past and it doesn't sling off.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I'd have it up and running today but when I filled the tank and turned the pump by hand it had a slow drip from the shaft seal so I ordered another pump from someone else and will be returning the one I have. Also I had to take the rubber mounts off from the bar mount, they were to soft and the weight of the saw would pull the tip of the bar up.

KIMG3390.JPG

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my new pump and put it on, no leaks. I gave it a try and I have to almost close the valve to slow the saw down so I'm going to increase the pump RPM and see if that helps. Also I have to do something with the scale to keep it from sliding around.

KIMG3397.JPG KIMG3395.JPG KIMG3396.JPG KIMG3394.JPG

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered a 35 tooth sprocket for the pump, I think the 60 tooth might have been ok with the old 18gpm pump but this new pump is 9gpm, we'll see.

New gear ratio

Screenshot from 2022-07-15 15-48-34.png Screenshot from 2022-07-15 15-48-44.png

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
6:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know enythin…about dino's but that pressure gauge goes woop woop and wants to bend :D
So something isn’t right :rolleyes:

;)

edit & btw. Nice work you put into this Dino and thread :thumbup:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know enythin…about dino's but that pressure gauge goes woop woop and wants to bend :D
So something isn’t right :rolleyes:

;)

edit & btw. Nice work you put into this Dino and thread :thumbup:
Thanks, I think it's because the pump isn't pumping much fluid because of the low RPM but I could be wrong.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
12:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now just because I can. I have to ask how many psi is your gauge rated to and is it a fluid dampened gauge?

I'm sure you already know, but you want a gauge with aprox 30% more than you expect. Built in safety/fudge factor.

And a slight possibility for the gauge jumping is air in the hydraulic system yet. I lost a seal on my outboard dyno and it took a few longer than usual runs to get it to settle down. Takes the oil a while to de foam once it gets full of air from a pump cavitation.

Steven

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now just because I can. I have to ask how many psi is your gauge rated to and is it a fluid dampened gauge?

I'm sure you already know, but you want a gauge with aprox 30% more than you expect. Built in safety/fudge factor.

And a slight possibility for the gauge jumping is air in the hydraulic system yet. I lost a seal on my outboard dyno and it took a few longer than usual runs to get it to settle down. Takes the oil a while to de foam once it gets full of air from a pump cavitation.

Steven
It's a 3000 psi dry gauge, it was cheaper than a 4" liquid filed one. I know liquid filled ones stay accurate longer but it's not going to see that much use and I'll mainly be using the scale and saw tach to get the HP and torque numbers. It might have some air still in it, I only ran it a couple of minutes.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With that much gearing on a small pump it does put a lot of torque on it, assuming it can handle the rpm a lower reduction ratio should help. Try a 7 pin rim...
And maybe get some guards on those chains...?

That valve looks pretty big and like it has a way overkill amount of throughput, I'd speculate that you'll benefit from a smaller valve. You're only ever going to use a very small amount of the range on the present one, gets touchy to control with such a short throw of the lever. I did ok with knob/screw types, gives a bit more feel to running the rpms down in a smooth manner.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New sprocket plan, I'm going to change out the 11 tooth sprocket with a 24 tooth and that should put my pump speed almost the same as the dynos that people have made with a 24 tooth pin sprocket. I ordered a 24 tooth sprocket and I also ordered a chain tensioner for the roller chain

New gear ratio.

Screenshot from 2022-07-17 10-44-29.png Screenshot from 2022-07-17 11-00-36.png

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My sprocket arrived and I put it on. For the scale I just screwed some hose to the platform to keep it in place. @wcorey I took your advice and ordered a needle valve and It also came today, maybe I'll have it going by the weekend.

KIMG3401.JPG KIMG3403.JPG KIMG3402.JPG

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking at my valve and thought the threaded holes looked a little small and it turned out that it's a 1/2" valve so back it goes. I found another NOS high pressure valve at a reasonable price on ebay and ordered it.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday I made a mount out of angle iron for the chain tensioner, painted it and bolted it up this afternoon. My new valve will be delivered on Saturday so between now and then I'm going to mount the two tachs, the scale display and give it a run with the valve that's on it. Just a word of advice if you use the type of sprockets I did, put thread locker on the set screws because in under a minute of run time all of them came loose and I lost a couple. Also if you use a two piece kart sprocket, you will have to center the sprocket or your chain will go tight then loose, I just put a piece of wood against the sprocket with the bolts snugged, rotated the sprocket and taped on the wood until the chain had the same tightness all the way around.

Tensioner

KIMG3406.JPG KIMG3407.JPG

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My valve showed up two days early and I got it on without spilling to much hydraulic fluid. When it came it was dirty from setting around for 30-40 years and the bonnet was loose where it screws into the body, I cleaned it up and tightened the bonnet, hope it doesn't leak. it surprised me ho big it was, the T handle is around 6". Out of time today but will give it a try tomorrow.

KIMG3411.JPG

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gave it test run this morning, no leaks. I don't like the valve T handle so I'm going to see if I can find a wheel handle to fit it. I also don't like the back lit display on the scale because the camera doesn't pick it up very well, maybe when it's dark it will work better. I didn't have a tach on it so I don't know what the RPMs were but I got 9lbs of torque right at the end on that ported 372, @Red @wcorey does that right?