Dumb#@$ Question About Sharpening

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you determine your angle of the file as you're dragging it through the cutters? I know the bar, I know the chain, and I know the correct file size. Thanks

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer Remington brand file guides. They have marks in the middle for 22.5 deg which I tend to use on most saws for durability. Stihl square grind seems more like 17.5 I'm guessing. Anyway, try to fing a guide meant for the file size you are using, I ended up filing the groove the file sits in on a Remington guide to hold a 7/32 file, it was originally a 5/32 guide. Because file height relative to the tooth matters: too high, and you get very little hook (can be good for durability, bad for self feeding and speed cutting). Too low in the tooth, and the tooth might not even get sharpened, or it will have too much hook, and be grabby and dull quickly.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you determine your angle of the file as you're dragging it through the cutters? I know the bar, I know the chain, and I know the correct file size. Thanks

Are you asking what angle you are ‘supposed’ to file at (charts by each chain manufacturer for that); OR, are you asking how to know the angles of your file as you file (file guides).

Philbert

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you asking what angle you are ‘supposed’ to file at (charts by each chain manufacturer for that); OR, are you asking how to know the angles of your file as you file (file guides).

Philbert
Phil: The number of degrees OFF perpendicular to the chain. Usually it's somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees off straight across the chain. Probably saying it wrong, hope you follow me.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a file guide. It has a degree line marked on the top that you just line up with the top plate.
Right. But how do you know which angle applies to the saw you're sharpening? I have one of those guides too, but I don't know which angle to line it up on. Hang on for a sec, let me look up something on sharpening the chain and see if I can get the right terminology.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, got it. File angle. Found on Oregon's website or my user guide. Or even better, the package the chain came in. Thanks, gents.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, got it. File angle. Found on Oregon's website or my user guide.
A key thing to keep in mind, is that those are recommendations or suggestions for general use.

One of the advantages of sharpening your own chain is that you can use custom angles for your wood, your saw, and the cutting that you do (it's all about you!). For example, 25° is often better for hard or frozen wood. 35° is often preferred for soft wood. If you mostly cut one type of wood, with one saw, you might find out that 27.5° is the best angle for you.

Best way to find out is to start with 3, identical chains and file / grind them to 3 different angles. If you notice a big difference, go that way. If you don't notice a significant difference, stick with the 'standard' angles.

Philbert

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember if I've been pulling mine lately (I need to use chainsaws more). My most recent sharpening technique is without a guide, bar pinched between my knees, and holding each end of the file. I know I've been pulling flat files on the depth gauges. I find it's easier to keep the file straight and steady by pulling.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember if I've been pulling mine lately (I need to use chainsaws more). My most recent sharpening technique is without a guide, bar pinched between my knees, and holding each end of the file. I know I've been pulling flat files on the depth gauges. I find it's easier to keep the file straight and steady by pulling.
I file right rakers opposite of left rakers

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember if I've been pulling mine lately
When I use a Granberg type file guide, I find that I have one hand up by the top rod for power, and one down by the file for pressure and guidance. Pushing and pulling depends on which side I am filing. If I think about it too much, it does not work as well!

IMG_0125.jpg

Philbert