Drill bits

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I literally have thousands of drill bits metal cutting,freebies .Some are solid carbide which will go through a hard chainsaw bar like a knife through hot butter .When production drills get too short they are discarded .

The wood bits I have to buy and they could be Irwin,Craftsman,Vermont American or any thing else .Brad point drills are nice for doing woodwork .

blackop555

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Tool guy from Barnes came in to demo a bit and he bent it. First I ever saw that done. It drilled good so it had to be hard. Maybe a 2 part bit

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can straighten them out with an arbor press and a set of v blocks .
I've got an 1 1/4" bit at work with a number 4 Morris taper tang they managed somehow to bend .Just haven't taken the time to fix it yet .How in the 'ell could anybody bend a drill bit that size is beyond me but they did it .

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright I'll be honest I can't sharpen a drill bit to save my ass.. I free hand saw chain well enough what I'm doin wrong ?? I use high speed steel bits made of I dunno I got a big set of real nice ones I haven't dulled any of these up but y'all just use a bench grinder or got somthing more better?

Jeff Svoboda

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright I'll be honest I can't sharpen a drill bit to save my ass.. I free hand saw chain well enough what I'm doin wrong ?? I use high speed steel bits made of I dunno I got a big set of real nice ones I haven't dulled any of these up but y'all just use a bench grinder or got somthing more better?
Buy Mac. Lol. When they don't cut anymore get them warrented. But if you don't work at a shop with tool trucks coming around I'd get the better drill doctor. I think they make two kinds or at least they did.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes some practice to get good results by hand. Work hard on getting the angles correct, then work on the relief. Once you do a few (hundred, thousand, million...) you will get sharper bits than a drill doctor can only hope to achieve.

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wouldn't this method remove the tempering from the steel? In my experience, heat is what kills bits. No cutting fluid, too high of RPM and the ever popular put all your body weight on a 1/4 bit in a cordless drill method.
NO! you would have to get it way hotter to do that...its also why you dip it in water to keep it from getting too hot.
unless you really *f-word up the drill, you're not grinding much off of it..

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sharpening a drill bit is a tad like sharpening a chainsaw chain in that you won't get good at it until you do it often.

There's tricks to it like cutting in chip breakers etc but it's best to get the basics before you get fancy with things .

One little trick is get a can of water and dunk the bit often .Keeps from burning the metal and keeps the grinding wheel from loading up .You can't get a good grind with a wheel loaded up with tailings .

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You ever hung up a big bit in thick steel with one of these, It's gonna hurt.lol

SANY2349.JPG SANY2350.JPG

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You ever hung up a big bit in thick steel with one of these, It's gonna hurt.lol

View attachment 23337 View attachment 23338
yup with the regular type drill...those old single speed trigger on or off, really suck when they get stuck!
I knew a guy using the right angle type like that one (Milwaukee hole hawg) drilling into a ceiling with a big auger bit, while on a ladder......the bit caught and spun the drill into his teeth, knocking most of them out and knocked him off the ladder...

he wasn't the brightest guy...

junkman

Crush it
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yup with the regular type drill...those old single speed trigger on or off, really suck when they get stuck!
I knew a guy using the right angle type like that one (Milwaukee hole hawg) drilling into a ceiling with a big auger bit, while on a ladder......the bit caught and spun the drill into his teeth, knocking most of them out and knocked him off the ladder...

he wasn't the brightest guy...
How much did it cost to fix your teeth ?