Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a beautiful thing when both chips are equal... seems like most can't properly sharpen drills by hand anymore.
It is the same thing as with being able to square file freehand, which I can not do.

I have been in the drilling business too long not to know how to freehand grind a drill bit.
A good ground bit was influential to how hard I had to work to earn my paycheck back when I was manning the drill presses in mass production!
Nowadays I usually just give the drill bit gauges and aids and grinders a smirk and freehand my grind.
It is a matter of knowing what Your wheel needs to look like, as well as getting a feel for the twist of Your wrist while grinding - once You get that right it is just muscle memory reflex. :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I freehand on a belt sander and check with a cheap drill gauge on larger bits.
I prefer the outer radius of a grinding wheel with a small convex belly on the grinding surface rather than a flat surface, it is just what I am used to.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…maybe I should’ve typed “correct” in front of speed. I figgerd that was a known.
Do not assume that this bunch of freaks understands lest assumes the term "correct" in correlation to "speed" in the same sentence!!!

You should know better. 😋

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You do anything long enough, you become proficient at it , like taking a chit , but sometimes that’s an issue,Lol 😜

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer the outer radius of a grinding wheel with a small convex belly on the grinding surface rather than a flat surface, it is just what I am used to.

I'm sure I'd like a nice square grinding wheel better, but with the other guys around the shop the hopes of keeping a wheel nice are dashed.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure I'd like a nice square grinding wheel better, but with the other guys around the shop the hopes of keeping a wheel nice are dashed.
I have my own privately purchased diamond dresser in my toolbox at work.
I dress a wheel before I grind my bits, but indeed quite often the wheels are in such bad shape that no amount of dressing can save them.

FFS, the idiots I work with tore out the teeth of an ER32 collet wrench, which looks like this when new.
IMG_20230328_144040.jpg

I am making my own 6-point wrench. Almost done, just gotta open up the center hole and weld on a handle.
IMG_20230328_174459.jpg IMG_20230328_174510.jpg

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is the same thing as with being able to square file freehand, which I can not do.
I seriously fawked my first chain when i tried to hand grind a round chain into a square. Lol.
I have been in the drilling business too long not to know how to freehand grind a drill bit.
Same here.
A good ground bit was influential to how hard I had to work to earn my paycheck back when I was manning the drill presses in mass production!
Thats how I learned... my first production shop, being the new guy they dumped a pallet full of drills infront of me and said "see ya when you finish sharpening these"... 3 weeks later... lmfao that was my true introduction to hand grinding drills from 1/8" up to 3"... after that onto the spade drills.
Nowadays I usually just give the drill bit gauges and aids and grinders a smirk and freehand my grind.
It is a matter of knowing what Your wheel needs to look like, as well as getting a feel for the twist of Your wrist while grinding - once You get that right it is just muscle memory reflex. :)
I'm particular with drills, when I see guys haphazardly sharpening drills and their finish looks like a snaggle toothed beaver chewed on it... I stop what I'm doing and explain to them how and and why... idk if it's my ocd or what... 🤷‍♂️ cutting edges, relief... I start almost flat, dip and twist... lol.
I prefer a flat wide grinding stone... I've used belt sanders with the backing plate worn and wavy... not preferred but in a pinch, it works.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New-ish guy said, "our drills suck"... I said slow down and grind them properly and they'll work fine... his reply was "I just sharpened it"...
I said... Let me see it... 😬 Come-on man... showed him how I do it... well, the following week he chewed on another bit.
I did my part, I tried showing him. He'll learn.

Attachments

• 20230328_121442.jpg
    20230328_121442.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230328_121500.jpg
    20230328_121500.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 9

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should have taken a picture but I picked up a 3/16" drill bit at our shop that one of the 1/2 blind old guys tried to sharpen, I think it would have cut better in reverse.
Some of the old guys are on point... others.... well, they should delegate the sharpening to the fresher eyes. 🤣🤣
I see so many drills from the factory with the relief higher than the cutting edge... lol

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dealing with apprentices ,is always an adventure,
At work I am not showing anyone anything anymore!
These last couple generations are too cocky to bother with, no work ethics, no practical knowledge.
Also, I am at odds with my superiors and as such helping the new guy equals helping my overpaid superiors benefiting from it.
Sorry new guys, call Your superiors and let them show You that they know less than You do!

I know it sounds harsh, but I am sick and tired of being exploited (at my current workplace of 26 years).

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At work I am not showing anyone anything anymore!
These last couple generations are too cocky to bother with, no work ethics, no practical knowledge.
Also, I am at odds with my superiors and as such helping the new guy equals helping my overpaid superiors benefiting from it.
Sorry new guys, call Your superiors and let them show You that they know less than You do!

I know it sounds harsh, but I am sick and tired of being exploited (at my current workplace of 26 years).
The old ways of learning , are long gone !!

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A go to for all ur manual sharping needs , endmills, drills , taps ,reamers , counter sinks, etc, etc , The Deckel View attachment 371519
😍😍😍😍 NICE!!! In my early 20's I couldn't stand sharpening drills, endmills, shl mills, cemented carbide turning tools... now that my brain has slowed... I find it almost therapeutic in the sense that I get lost in the process and the next thing I know I times traveled ahead a few + hours.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A go to for all ur manual sharping needs , endmills, drills , taps ,reamers , counter sinks, etc, etc , The Deckel View attachment 371519
"My Deckel" at work, I hate running that machine, heavy dual doors, biggest and heaviest workpieces (manual loading).

I wonder whether it is the same "Deckel" manufacturer, or at least the evolution from Your Deckel.

IMG_20230328_192444.jpg