Drill bits for metal and using them properly

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At work I am not showing anyone anything anymore!
These last couple generations are too cocky to bother with, no work ethics, no practical knowledge.
Also, I am at odds with my superiors and as such helping the new guy equals helping my overpaid superiors benefiting from it.
Sorry new guys, call Your superiors and let them show You that they know less than You do!

I know it sounds harsh, but I am sick and tired of being exploited (at my current workplace of 26 years).
Holy *s-word man... this must ring true all over this country!
I try to show the new guys... but, like you said, they know everything and holy fawk are they cocky... and expect everything for nothing but want to get paid more than the guys who know their *s-word.
We live is strange times... I have 3 boys, they all can run a lathe and mill, weld... etc... be it may not look the greatest, but, they have a baseline understanding... we as a country need to start pushing Trade Schools Hard otherwise future generations will be lost with liberal arts and basket weaving-101 degrees... wondering why they can't find a job.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
😍😍😍😍 NICE!!! In my early 20's I couldn't stand sharpening drills, endmills, shl mills, cemented carbide turning tools... now that my brain has slowed... I find it almost therapeutic in the sense that I get lost in the process and the next thing I know I times traveled ahead a few + hours.
The old days of making split dies , for a progressive tool tool , and jig grinding , have been taken over by wire EDM’ s and button pushers, who don’t care much about anything .

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like Tap Magic, AlumaTap, heavy dark cutting oil and Kerosene when not using the cncs... for cncs I like Val cool.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t feel like we should neglect the younger generation. They will soon find humility and remember the words “that wise man once told me”.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
High quality drill bit, but quite shatter prone and the cutting edges dull a bit faster compared to the aforementioned bit, Solid-Carbide

IMG_20230407_105517.jpg IMG_20230407_105606.jpg IMG_20230407_105627.jpg IMG_20230407_105639.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HSS-Co drill bit freehand ground by me, 12.0mm OD so it doesn't quite fit within the "UNO" camera view field.
Wheel wasn't too good missing a sharp corner, hence the resulting mediocre "cross cut".
Was intended to be a spot drill, as such the cutting edges are ground at a steeper angle (~90°) and the relief is quite extreme.
I liked the result I got, but in the end it didn't get used as the workpiece proved to be too big for the mill.

IMG_20230407_102317.jpg IMG_20230407_102258.jpg IMG_20230407_102228.jpg IMG_20230407_102218.jpg

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
High quality drill bit, very durable and well contoured cutting edges, Solid-Carbide

View attachment 373504 View attachment 373505 View attachment 373506 View attachment 373507 View attachment 373508
I never used this brand... but, I have and continually use Guhrings. My drills and taps last a Very long time and I basically cut everything. From zinc, copper, various aluminums, plain carbons to high carbon, various tool steels, various grades of SS, once in a while inconel as well as various grades of Titanium.
Like anything... Speeds, Feeds/chiploads and rigidity... they all dictate how long bits/cutters last... We all know cutter geometry, the hardness of the bit being used, the ability of the bit to retain the cutting edge when operating at elevated temps as well as wear resistance at those elevated temps are crucial, but they all fall back to speeds, feeds/chiploads and rigidity. If someone spins up their bit and it exceeds the red heat range, it's obviously going to fail... if the setup isn't rigid, it's going to fail, shock loading carbide and/or cobalt, it's going to fail... I have guhring taps and drills that I have been using for a couple years now... I have definitely gotten my money worth out of them? I've had such good results that I don't even entertain the idea of swapping brands, changing geometry etc... I am budgeted "x" amount for expendable tooling... soooo needless to say, my box is filling up with Guhrings. 🤣😅
I need to try and use the Parlec to get detailed images of the cutting edges of my old bits and then compare them to the new bits.

fredx

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Last edited: