huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
8:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the flywheel off and I can't find a part number anywhere on it to verify it. Definitely looks correct from comparing to pictures.
Dolmar/Makita had a habit of changing fw/coil combinations mid run without changing how they fit.

If you have a timing light with timing advance ability, you can mark top dead center on the fly wheel and the corresponding spot on the cylinder and use the advance feature to find out when it’s firing using a drill motor to spin the crank. If it’s somewhere between 24 and 30° BTDC, I’d say you have the right combo. It would eliminate that part of the problem

Last edited:

Turner Saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar/Makita had a habit of changing fw/coil combinations mid run without changing how they fit.

If you have a timing light with timing advance ability, you can mark top dead center on the fly wheel and the corresponding spot on the cylinder and use the advance feature to find out when it’s firing using a drill motor to spin the crank. If it’s somewhere between 24 and 30° BTDC, I’d say you have the right combo. It would eliminate that part of the problem
I'm going to see if I can get a timing light with advance adjustment and give that a try. Thanks

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
7:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ty @Dub11, i think that 510 i had made it around 2-3 more people with no luck. But......tink at @timg got it working. Think itwas the wrong coil. That sum beech was 120$ OEM, but wrong:mad:

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ty @Dub11, i think that 510 i had made it around 2-3 more people with no luck. But......tink at @timg got it working. Think itwas the wrong coil. That sum beech was 120$ OEM, but wrong:mad:
Think you gotz your cousins mixed up on that one Nick. Can't take the credit. How you doing after your procedures Nick?? Hope all is well and healing!!
Where are you in Ohio @Turner Saw ? I've got a timing light and can check a coil number on my 510 if needed sir.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LMAO! Im doing good Cuz! Been back at it full tilt for about a month. Still got some nerve pain in the legs and feet at times but im like a dog out of its cage trying to make up 8 months of life. Feels good! IIRC correctly Corey told me u wound up with the 510 and got it running with a different coil than the one i had got
for it. :nusenuse:
That saw i had was mint! So frustrating......only saw that ever stumped me and i kinda gave up being my only Dolly at the time. Thought it wasnt meant to be:risas3:
I think Kevin has the OP on the right track. :headbang:Seem all ive read on them 510’s its all with the damn FW/coil. Its like ya have a good one or ya don't.

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LMAO! Im doing good Cuz! Been back at it full tilt for about a month. Still got some nerve pain in the legs and feet at times but im like a dog out of its cage trying to make up 8 months of life. Feels good! IIRC correctly Corey told me u wound up with the 510 and got it running with a different coil than the one i had got
That saw i had was mint! So frustrating......only saw that ever stumped me and i kinda gave up being my only Dolly at the time. Thought it wasnt meant to be:risas3:
I think Kevin has the OP on the right track. :headbang:Seem all ive read on them 510’s its all with the damn FW/coil. Its like ya have a good one or ya don't.
That's what I like about Kevin.
Glad your doing well cuz!!
Gotta hit it up early my man.:eusa_dance:

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would also go down this road dolmar did some stuff like this on 9000/9010 too flywheel position was about 90 degrees different on some. So if you knew the timing you may just be able to clock the flywheel different and get it running.

Turner Saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think you gotz your cousins mixed up on that one Nick. Can't take the credit. How you doing after your procedures Nick?? Hope all is well and healing!!
Where are you in Ohio @Turner Saw ? I've got a timing light and can check a coil number on my 510 if needed sir.
I'm in northeast Ohio. Not too far from the PA line. Closest somewhat large city near my way is Youngstown

Turner Saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is only the third Dolmar I've ever worked on. The other two were 7900's. Normally I play with Husqvarnas and Stihls, plus the occasional McCulloch restoration. This thing has me pulling my hair out!!

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in northeast Ohio. Not too far from the PA line. Closest somewhat large city near my way is Youngstown
Wow, Small world for sure. I'm right across the border close to New Bedford. Sure you know where that is. If you want to borrow the timing light let me know. I'm doing 6 days a week with long hours but could make something work on Sunday if needed. Let me know. Thx. TG

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is only the third Dolmar I've ever worked on. The other two were 7900's. Normally I play with Husqvarnas and Stihls, plus the occasional McCulloch restoration. This thing has me pulling my hair out!!
Lol! Stick with the huskys:D Naw i like um all, but ya got to fire some shots sometimes:risas3:
Lotta good guys to help here if ya can keep ur sanity with the saw. Looks like Cuzin Tim can get u a timing light, wer moving forward!

Turner Saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I located a friend with the timing light I need. I have a couple saws that came in for a local tree service. So once I get them finished I'll play with it again. I'll update the post once I have more info. Thanks for all the suggestions

Turner Saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Been a while since I was able to get back to this saw. I did get the timing light on it and I couldn't get my marks to line up at TDC no matter where I turned the dial from 0-50°.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been a while since I was able to get back to this saw. I did get the timing light on it and I couldn't get my marks to line up at TDC no matter where I turned the dial from 0-50°.

Where did they line up then?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could grind off the keyway and do trial and error until you got it at 30° btdc. That’s how I did my first 7900 with a 272 coil swap

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or get the correct coil/crank/flywheel combo for it