Do you have a plan ??

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saws are chump change compared to the rest which is pretty straightforward.

An auction would probably be best. Problem is auctioneers always want to sell everything. That would be a problem for the kids.

A auction is a great way to get a farmstead cleaned up in a few days time, if none of the surviving family members want any of it. Few hundred people show up with trailers, and pay you money to clean up the place.

I went to a auction last summer, guy was a hoarder, I had been there a few times when he was alive, he never wanted to sell anything! His dad was a hoarder, his grandpa was a hoarder, etc. Car/trucks/equipment going back into the teens.

I talked to his sister that day, she had inherited the place. She told me it would have taken me a few years to haul everything off and get it cleaned up. She said this is great, everything will be gone in a few days time, and they are paying me to do it, not the other way around.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It is in everybody's best interest to legally setup an estate and choose it's executor long before you think it will be an issue. If my dad had done that it would have saved me 3 years of dealing with scumbag lawyers to claim what was yours to begin with. Just food for thought to those reading this post.
Sad truth but great advice. I told my mother she better draft a will after unexpectedly losing my father (they were separated). He didn't have much it doesn't take much to mess things up, especially when some people don't agree on things.

My wife will start porting saws if I kick the bucket. Still gonna have bills to pay. lol
We're going to need to see an example.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sad truth but great advice. I told my mother she better draft a will after unexpectedly losing my father (they were separated). He didn't have much it doesn't take much to mess things up, especially when some people don't agree on things.

We did all that a few years ago so my daughter won't have to pay inheritance taxes.

We're going to need to see an example.

Wouldn't a surprise be more fun?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We did all that a few years ago so my daughter won't have to pay inheritance taxes.

Wouldn't a surprise be more fun?

Randy, a simple will without an estate plan(funded by an insurance policy) will not guarantee no transfer taxes. Fed or state. Check your state laws as to percentage numbers for dollar amounts.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, a simple will without an estate plan(funded by an insurance policy) will not guarantee no transfer taxes. Fed or state. Check your state laws as to percentage numbers for dollar amounts.

Oh yeah.......we got a good lawyer to fix everything up. And we have good life insurance.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My old Skipper on the boat I fished on up in Alaska put it to his wife best. He said "Dear, I've fished all my life to make my living, but when I die please do not bury me at sea. Have me cremated, than take my ashes mix them with some water, put me in a douche bulb and run me through just one more time!"

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A limited family partnership is the surest way to pass things on without taxes or hassles. Also protects your assets from hospital bills,nursing homes and what have you.