(Dead build) 242 stuffers

DGH53

OPE Member
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s good to heat cycle it a few times let it idle until it gets hot to touch and then let it cool right off. Initial break in before putting any load on it. Mix it rich and tune the screws rich

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s good to heat cycle it a few times let it idle until it gets hot to touch and then let it cool right off. Initial break in before putting any load on it. Mix it rich and tune the screws rich
Very true. Im not a newbie at this though.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard the same and have never done it. No detriment either. I just start, tune, and bury the biggest bar to load the livin shít out of the motor. No failures yet.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard the same and have never done it. No detriment either. I just start, tune, and bury the biggest bar to load the livin shít out of the motor. No failures yet.

About the same, I at least make sure the cylinder is warm to the touch before going WOT the first time.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am another proponent of getting the fresh engine loaded good to seat the rings while you have the chance. If you miss this small window the rings will never really seat good and the engine performance will suffer. I say this method and use it but only if your tolerances are correct. If something is off you will find out pretty quick.

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This build is getting shelved. Done 3 heat cycles and lt has lost compression each time. Also four strokes at only 11800RPM.IMG_20230502_154147361.jpg

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you investigated why it is losing compression? Did you ever get the timing numbers from the new cylinder?

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you investigated why it is losing compression? Did you ever get the timing numbers from the new cylinder?
May try to pull the cylinder. I dont have the tools to chech timing. And with the season starting i dont really have time or motivation to work on my own saws when i work 8 hours a day with others.

And i dont own my own shop so i work on my own stuff after work.

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's frustrating when things go south after you invest a lot of effort. Maybe you will regain an interest in this project at a later time. It's been a very interesting thread!

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's frustrating when things go south after you invest a lot of effort. Maybe you will regain an interest in this project at a later time. It's been a very interesting thread!
I think the AM cylinder is the problem. Will try pull it next week and have a look.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear it’s not going well. It’s a weird problem to be losing compression steadily over multiple tests. The best thing about personal projects is they can set forever. Maybe come back to it when you have a good P&C.

Degree wheels aren’t expensive or hard to use. I definitely recommend you get one.

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pulled the cylinder just because. Cylinder looks completely fine, ring gap is fine and piston is also in like new shape. Ring looks like this.

AM stuff is new to me due to only getting OEM stuff for customers or myself. Never had to really think when building stock saws.

Hard to get it to focus.
IMG_20230503_070324574.jpg

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you trying to show with that ring picture? I assume there is a problem with it but I can't see what it is. Glad the rest of the parts appear to be okay. Did you happen to do a vacuum/pressure test on the crankcase before pulling things apart?

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
is it me or does the ring look sort of tapered, like bottom of ring is wider than the top?