PAST CT GTG 2016 May 7th

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I having a hard time putting it in words Dan.

I guess it's the HP in the usable range.

My leaned out 360 that made 8hp at 13,000 rpm was a useless powerband.
I see what you mean. Here we go with variables again. Lol.
Did you try cutting with it like that, maybe not useless...

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not real Mike. It was totally leaned out and made 16,000 rpm with no air filter.

The fuel couldn't keep up with the air with no filter. There was a lot of spitback that didn't get sucked into the motor.

But I now know that a stock 036 boot flows more than enough air for the saw.
How could it not be real Al, if it pushed on the torque arm and got that reading, it produced the power. Unless it was just a spike from brake grab.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the right chain that wouldn't be useless. Maybe with some nitro it would be 10 hp there.

Lets get a balsa cant for the next GTG and let that sweet 360 sing through some wood with a race chain :)
regardless of the particulars getting an MS360 to 8hp is badass!!!
other opinions on this matter will be summarily disregarded :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This whole thing is so cool. Through great innovations come even greater benefits! Right on the forefront of greatness.
Experimentation through the information garnered from technological innovations will spur better engines. We will all benefit down the road.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eric, why in the 066 graphs and one of the 661 graphs does the torque scale change? It makes it look like there is more torque than hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is because I haven't yet told the graph tool a forced range for each torque and HP scales. So it has freedom to make whatever scale the tool wants. I need to force the scale at some point but need to find out what range for each is most like a car dyno.

I also want to make these available as web based so you guys can hover mouse over a point and see HP number and RPM it was collected at. Scale prob not granular enough on the right!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How could it not be real Al, if it pushed on the torque arm and got that reading, it produced the power. Unless it was just a spike from brake grab.
I'll be getting more graphs out tonight so you guys can look for spikes vs trend line on this one.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can publish the 3 different MS360 runs if you'd like Eric. Any place you'd prefer. I have nothing to hide.

My 036 as well. It had flatter (036) vs. angled transfers. The angled ones (MS360) should make a wider powerband with less peak power.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two things:

Hp it the most important # because it combines RPMs with torque at that RPM to produce "work", and my gut was right, I thought the 661 was a bit stronger than the 066, but looks like the 066 has a wider power band (which some may prefer). If the saw operator can keep the RPMs near max Hp, that saw will win the race (all other things being equal). The broader power band will be more forgiving for things like knots in the wood, pinched bars, etc.

Your optimum compression will vary based on the amount of air/fuel in the cylinder. As pointed out, SC & turbo motors have less compression because the charge volume is greater. To a lesser extent, the more you improve the ports (etc) to flow maximum charge volume into the cylinder, the less compression pressure you need to burn it optimally, and there can be a point of negative returns. It depends on many factors, so we just make an educated guess, but fuel octane, chamber design, hot spots, etc all play a role.

Fortunately, the dyno can let you know what does and does not work in your engine with your fuel!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That 661 is in competition with the 064 for top honors in the Hp range, both seeming to produce a little over 9 Hp at the right RPM range. That confirms my seat of the pants when I ran them, it was too close to call for me, especially since they were wearing different b&c s.

I would also like to see a dyno of Matt's 385. That saw was fast, but did not feel quite as ballsey, but that may have been due to the spring AV just giving it a different feel. The 385 was very smooth and cut quite well. Also, b&c were different, another variable!