Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What we can't do is compare a strato engine to a non strato engine. The relatively small intake port on the strato can be misleading......the engine also draws in air through the strato ports. Although the transfers are stacked in layers, some mixing must occur, or the engine would never run as well as it does.

When I mod a strato engine, I rarely do anything to the intake side. I'm afraid of messing up the balance of fresh air VS mixed intake.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What we can't do is compare a strato engine to a non strato engine. The relatively small intake port on the strato can be misleading......the engine also draws in air through the strato ports. Although the transfers are stacked in layers, some mixing must occur, or the engine would never run as well as it does.

When I mod a strato engine, I rarely do anything to the intake side. I'm afraid of messing up the balance of fresh air VS mixed intake.
Have you messed up a strato before by doin that?

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On the strato would there be any benefit from gutting the boot and filter horn and basically do away with the fresh air transfers. Where one transfer feeds directly from the intake would there even be enough vacuum to pull enough Mix up where you have essentially lowered the pressure in the boot?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 241, and 261 Stihl there are big gains in gutting the jug and boot.

I can get the same gain, or more with port timing tweaks though.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think what you are doing with your tweaks Randy is making the charge in the true intake more fuel rich. Especially on the 661 where you shorten the intake duration.

We know the saw had to have the correct fuel air mix to run and we know where this fuel enters from.

If this concept was taken further it would've similar to fuel injection.

So the benefit in a two stroke motor is we are counting on the transfer cycle to flush the burnt charge and fill with Unburned charge. I think the mods you make are increasing the over scavenging. Which is the oem design for emission purposes.

By raising the transfers. You getting a more pure charge in the cylinder.

I think the mods you do work well whether you figured this all out or backed into it. Nice work.

Gutting the stratos is going backwards imo

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the pipe saw I just ported.....

EX: 85
TR: 120
IN:85

The pipe sends a wave of pressure back into the exhaust port........so the transfers stay closed for 35° after the exhaust opens.

I'm thinking on Al's muffler idea, timing number will need to be different for it to work.
This is interesting because it proves that changing one thing and testing to find out you lost power doesn't mean it was bad. It just means something else also may need to change to see the gains. It's like a symphony. It all intertwines, which is what makes this all so puzzling and interesting. Seems like all these rules we are seeking aren't really there. Trial and error is where it's at. In fact I think Blair and Bell both said that you can get close with "rules", but the rest is try it and see...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is interesting because it proves that changing one thing and testing to find out you lost power doesn't mean it was bad. It just means something else also may need to change to see the gains. It's like a symphony. It all intertwines, which is what makes this all so puzzling and interesting. Seems like all these rules we are seeking aren't really there. Trial and error is where it's at. In fact I think Blair and Bell both said that you can get close with "rules", but the rest is try it and see...

We have traveled a long and winding path, and finally we have reached our destination......

There are no set rules, no absolutes.

We get close with experience, whether ours or someone elses. Then we test, and tweak, and test some more. We hone in on what works well for us, on each model. Then.....we second guess ourselves, and we try new ideas.

That is the joy of these infernal two stroke machines.....figuring them out is so challenging.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have traveled a long and winding path, and finally we have reached our destination......

There are no set rules, no absolutes.

We get close with experience, whether ours or someone elses. Then we test, and tweak, and test some more. We hone in on what works well for us, on each model. Then.....we second guess ourselves, and we try new ideas.

That is the joy of these infernal two stroke machines.....figuring them out is so challenging.
Gospel

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone running full circle cranks?

What about timing with a full circle?

I got one coming for my 066 is also have a cylinder I can port just for it if I need too.

How bout it guys,teach me about them