RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
YES. Just funnin ya...
Wish I had the room for a dedicated grinder.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In all the logging I have done it has worked out the best for me to touch up my chain ever be tank full at least! After all the flooding this summer the silt will be in bark on the butt cut so that will mean alot more sharpening!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi. I use grinder for bad rocket chains. And finnish with file, to make it super sharp.
Do you notice much difference finishing them off by hand, do they cut faster or longer? Do you use regular coarse files of choose finer files for a sharper edge?

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on the steps you take to avoid or transferr the heat.

Burnt cutters are bad ....... don’t burn them !

View attachment 196289
Thats a misting spray setup, even when converting round filed or taking back rocked cutters, the chrome doesn’t see any heat at all. After grinding it, you can lay your finger on the cutter and it’s actually cold

View attachment 196290

See ??
No heating whatsoever
404 RS ground to square

If you don't mind my asking, what do you use for coolant in your spray mist setup?? Water soluble oil??

That's the way to go!

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What brand is the best for race chains?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a diamond wheel on my grinder for round chain. I still use the bump method to remove material and keep it cool. Yes you can get more agressive then using a scintered wheel but it's still possible to put too much heat into the tooth if you're being dumb with it.

I like to use the grinder occasionally for work chains. My milling chains go on the grinder the most. You can save yourself some time by grinding when you're like 144 DL deep. Plus it's still more consistent than my hand filing.

Does anyone know if you can get a diamond wheel for square? I had a friend ask and he swore there was one. I haven't found one...

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@paragonbuilder

Dan and I considered it, but after Dans review, there seemed to be just a bunch variables and a price tag.

They'll make you anything you want, you just havta be sure of what you want.

IIRC, I dont believe the angle (the surfaces for grinding) on the wheel would be as crisp as you can get with diamond dressers on a stone

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I first started heating my home with wood I filed poorly and would remove chain and take to work to grind. I switched jobs and purchased my own grinder. I since then have been touching the chains up with a file in between grinding. Now I only use grinder to fix rocked chain.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I since then have been touching the chains up with a file in between grinding.
Lot of people tell me that you can't do that! The trick is to 'file as you grind and grind as you file'. If your ground cutter profile is very different than your filed profile, you will waste a lot of time going back and forth.

Philbert