RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or buy a box double bevel files and start being your own worst critic
I did Kevin. I do OK. Chains cut better than my round file. But they don't look like yours. I learn more every time I do it.
A little tune-up from someone like yourself goes a long way for a hacker like me. [emoji16][emoji481]

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't had a chain ground in maybe 40 years .Every so often if I rock one I might use a Dremel bring a few dinged teeth back if I don't shear them clear off .They cut okay .I can square file but to me it's a pain in the buttocks and takes forever .Square is a west coast thing anyway .25 minutes just to touch up versus 5 for round . I can just see me doing the chain on the saw in my avatar in square ,.Three hours, two files and a 12 pack .No thanks .

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't had a chain ground in maybe 40 years .Every so often if I rock one I might use a Dremel bring a few dinged teeth back if I don't shear them clear off .They cut okay .I can square file but to me it's a pain in the buttocks and takes forever .Square is a west coast thing anyway .25 minutes just to touch up versus 5 for round . I can just see me doing the chain on the saw in my avatar in square ,.Three hours, two files and a 12 pack .No thanks .
It’s not bad once you get good at it. I can do a 404 - 50” in about 20 minutes

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did Kevin. I do OK. Chains cut better than my round file. But they don't look like yours. I learn more every time I do it.
A little tune-up from someone like yourself goes a long way for a hacker like me.
I’ll touch up a loop or two for you if you want Jeff.......

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose it just depends on what you cut .A production cutter on the western slopes cutting in the piney woods hills square probably would be the hot ticket .A guy like myself cutting basically dead hard wood like rock hard ash not so much good .That damned stuff on round chisel is a file hit every tank of fuel .Dead hickory is the worst .The bark is like cutting asphalt shingles .

dgb84

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can speak to this a little bit. My dad was afraid for me or my brother to run a saw when we were growing up. We heated with wood, but he did the cutting and my brother and I did the splitting and stacking. When I started out with saws a few years ago, my hand filing was terrible. I understood the gist of it, but couldn’t keep my angles consistent. Part of the problem was that I would also rock a chain pretty regularly because I didn’t know where the tip of my bar was at all times. A rocked chain and a novice filer is a recipe for inconsistent chains. As I got better with a saw and kept my tip out of the dirt, my filing became better because the tooth angles from the factory gave me a guide to go by. I tried the husky guide and the cheap clamp file guides out, which also helped me learn the proper angles. I got a grinder earlier this year for my rocked chains, but prefer to hand file to touch up a sharp chain every couple of tanks. It all just really depends on how new someone is to running a saw. A lot of people don’t have someone to show them the ropes and have to learn from trial and error. I still use a flat clamp on file guide and take my time, but my chains cut really well.

These sites have really helped me with my filing. I don’t think it’s something most people pick up right away. Even if you get the top plate sharp, it won’t cut worth a damn with a dull or uncleaned gullet.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you know what you are looking for, and you know how to get it, the file and grinder are the same thing, one just takes less time.

I'll bet you a case of XXX that I can duplicate anything a silvey puts out with my Simington or file, and you wont be able to tell the difference.
I have a grinder and I'm finally getting better at using it. By better, I mean producing the shape that I want.

But what about the argument the grinder heats the cutters? And that even if you don't burn them you're still changing the cutting behavior of the chain. Is there any truth to this?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a grinder and I'm finally getting better at using it. By better, I mean producing the shape that I want.

But what about the argument the grinder heats the cutters? And that even if you don't burn them you're still changing the cutting behavior of the chain. Is there any truth to this?
Depends on the steps you take to avoid or transferr the heat.

Burnt cutters are bad ....... don’t burn them !

2F8F34D8-1FB7-4681-8524-823F4FBE5A90.jpeg
Thats a misting spray setup, even when converting round filed or taking back rocked cutters, the chrome doesn’t see any heat at all. After grinding it, you can lay your finger on the cutter and it’s actually cold

D8CE75D9-E442-41FD-AC32-DC90FC5106B6.jpeg

See ??
No heating whatsoever
404 RS ground to square

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on the steps you take to avoid or transferr the heat.

Damn.

That's cool and all, but has little relevance for normal folk deciding whether to use a grinder.

Is there any information available on whether proper use of a grinder (tap tap tap) actually hears the cutters enough to negatively impact their cutting performance?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The end user is most responsible for heating the cutters or not with a grinder. A good diamond or CBN wheel on a round grinder can take a ton of material off fast enough it doesn’t get real hot. A gray waxed wheel on a square grinder can take 1/16” a pass without heating them up.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ecopesy showed me how to square file after Rick and Cliff H showed him .Obviously without all the little tricks but good enough .The only thing I use it for is a race chain which mine usually end up about the middle of the pack .Except for a friendly competition on RS for a 200T Stihl .Adam Clark and myself ended up dead last and you would have thought we would have been higher .It was all in fun any way.no big deal .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep reading "a couple tanks of fuel before touching up a chain".
You guys must really have fresh felled non skidded clean logs.
I am envious of that as I mostly deal with skidded logs.

In my 30-ish years of bucking firewood, I encountered ONE occasion where the firewood load of fresh beech was so clean that I used 7 tanks of fuel in my Dolmar PS-550 without the chain getting noticeably dull.
For reference, the chain was semi chisel 3/8", and I hate utilizing my saws spikes.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dull chains cut wood poorly.
Dull files cut (sharpen) chains poorly.
Dull grinder wheels cut chains poorly (and over heat them).

Sharpen your chains.

Replace dull files.

Dress your grinder wheels frequently.

It helps if you start with good quality chains, files, and grinding wheels. Then it takes a little practice.

Philbert