High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Chain Build off RD #3 on CRS

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think some folks are way ahead of me.... But I guess there's only one way to learn.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not sure that long chips equal fast times. I'm also concerned that I may have lowered my rakes too much on the race. Already had a few hours into it and didn't want to start over again. Figured I would just submit it and see how she did. First try, What the heck. That's one huge pile of chips you have there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Also chip length seems very dependent on the type of wood and possibly moisture content as well as other factors. On the Test logs you brought over it was throwing more normal looking chips w/Same chain. I try to pay attention to detail so I can learn how that correlates to the results. Thanks test logs & for the vote of confidence though Mike

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think some folks are way ahead of me.... But I guess there's only one way to learn.
My chains and files haven't even came in the mail yet. Hopefully tomorrow though.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My chains and files haven't even came in the mail yet. Hopefully tomorrow though.
I bought a loop of lpx last week and roughed it in yesterday. It did file pretty nicely, so I'm pleased with how it's looking so far. I have no clue about what kind of chip it will throw.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope I get home in time to file a loop and shorten it down.

exCanuck

FartKnockerForum System Admin
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Cut4fun How many chains do you have so far for the buildoff contest? Will you record (video) each chain in the competition?

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@exCanuck I really shouldnt have any chains yet. But we had one eager beaver. :eek:

Cut off date to receive chains is March 19th

I always film every cut with info on first block.

Like this RD2 video.

This was race chain winner = R and chain type and sq or rd etc.

Work chain winner rd2

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@exCanuck Its a Chainsaw Repair site build off just like the last the last 2 rounds. Before that we were doing them on Competition Saws site in 3/8 chain in 3ci and open saws.

I just try to share with folks so they can join in and try their hand at filing to see where they stand and have some fun.

Also havent been doing 3/8 as it's been done to death already. Everyone can file 3/8.
Thats why we tried 3/8LP picco last time and .325 this time.
Heck looks like it will be .404 next time.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm also concerned that I may have lowered my rakes too much on the race. Already had a few hours into it and didn't want to start over again. Figured I would just submit it and see how she did. First try, What the heck. That's one huge pile of chips you have there.

See what you mean. ;)

Be neat to see what it would have done with the other setting like the work chains. ;)

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heard of it happening on tree guys with 200T's.

Also had it happen on build off chain. But that wasnt the chains fault on that one. Someone got to close to the drive links sharpening.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I may order another RS and keep the rakes high. I still have some time. That way I'll know the difference between the two anyway for future reference.

I was totally kicking myself for taking too much off. The intention was to set them at .022" -.023 like to work chains were set. I realized i was taking them to low about four cutters into the chain. HDG-6 is can be very fast/accurate and is great for making the chain rakers even, however you can also take off too much material real fast if you're not paying close attention. I figured at that point I might as well make them all the same. I did test It in a test log. It cut great with nice chips, however it did bog down the ported 550 a little. Didn't time it. Hoping the extra 12 CC on the test saw makes enough power to overcome this oversight of mine.

Last edited:

exCanuck

FartKnockerForum System Admin
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a Chainsaw Repair site build off
Oh yeah. I forgot which forum I was in when I asked you to post it over here.
I asked 'cause I'd like to pitch in a PRIZE chainsaw t-shirt for this. I'll donate one of the $21.95 short sleeve t-shirts as a prize from http://opewear.com/product-category/short-sleeve-tshirts/ if you want to be able to offer a prize. We can even print "Cut4fun Chain Build Off 2016" on the back.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@bikemike Also now remember repairing a new PS3 that was being run on a little poulan by a firewood cutter. It had broke a drive link while he was pinching the chain and pulling and cutting etc.

@exCanuck Thanks for the offer over in the CRS build off thread and here. :cool::campeon:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@bikemike Also now remember repairing a new PS3 that was being run on a little poulan by a firewood cutter. It had broke a drive link while he was pinching the chain and pulling and cutting etc.

@exCanuck Thanks for the offer over in the CRS build off thread and here. :cool::campeon:
Nah not me. I'm a tree removal guy helping a firewood hack with a tree. It was on a echo not a poulan. That Lil orange thing in the picture. Yeah echoPART_1442409777230_.IMG_20150916_082236.jpg