Case Compression, Let's Talk About It

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think about case compression in degrees of crankshaft rotation rather than in psi.

I do too.

So what is the optimal number of degrees for optimal transfer velocity? Depends on a lot of variables. But a case pressure ideal would be relatively the same across many models, port geometries, etc. Then we tweak the variables to get there.

I think pressure is only +-4-5 psi. Likely can’t be measured accurately at running rpm

Doesn’t 500i sense case pressure? Anyone know 500i stock case compression duration?

But we still don’t have a way to measure the PSI while running.

Better questions:

Do we want to maximize case pressure?

What would we do if we didn’t have to change port timing to raise case pressure?

How many degrees of transfer duration do we get before case pressure goes to ambient?

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do too.

So what is the optimal number of degrees for optimal transfer velocity? Depends on a lot of variables. But a case pressure ideal would be relatively the same across many models, port geometries, etc. Then we tweak the variables to get there.

Doesn’t 500i sense case pressure? Anyone know 500i stock case compression duration?

Better questions:

What would we do if we didn’t have to change port timing to raise case pressure?

How many degrees of transfer duration do we get before case pressure goes to ambient?

I would think the 500 measures fresh air coming in more than pressure it’s holding towards the injector.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do too.

Better questions:

On the piston port, ambient pressure would be variable ratio between intake and transfer timing.
Lower transfer timing would alow more intake timing, or more transfer timing would need less intake to create the same pressure, per given case volume. That’s given to an oem platform, and still doesn’t answer any questions! And a spacer and longer rod, case pressure would drop? Dose that change the formula?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think the 500 measures fresh air coming in more than pressure it’s holding towards the injector.

That’s what I originally thought but as I have learned more about fuel injection I have begun to think the 500i senses barometric pressure, not Oxygen.
But I still haven’t looked into it that deeply. Please explain your thoughts. I’m happy to be wrong.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s what I originally thought but as I have learned more about fuel injection I have begun to think the 500i senses barometric pressure, not Oxygen.
But I still haven’t looked into it that deeply. Please explain your thoughts. I’m happy to be wrong.
I thought that sensor was a crank trigger for the spark and ignition. I was wrong...

Next time I hook one up I'll post some shots from the program.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case pressure would be relative anyway, because it still has to go through the transfers. More exhaust vacuum and better transfer flow would make case pressure peaky. A lazy exhaust and less flow would make it flatter and wider.

How much air can you pack in there effectively AND put in the cylinder without losing it out the exhaust? Little changes can do a lot.