High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Carb adjustment

SuperHeat

New OPE Member
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Why are some tools only available for purchase by a repair shop when I have been tuning my own 2 strokes for 20+ years. Some tools can be purchased while others are strictly forbidden for owners to purchase. I mean fixing a chain saw, string trimmer, blower....... is not rocket science, why would you pay to have somebody else work on them unless you don't have time.

catfish

OPE Member
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Seriously? Because the EPA says so. Big daddy government knows best, ya know??

It's the same reason I can't just walk in a shop and walk out with parts anymore. Also the reason that almost all the mom and pop parts stores are closed. Specs change mid-year and stocking all the parts isn't economically feasible.

I reckon that's also why my top-o'-the-line Echo backpack blower is a toy compared to the 80s model Green Machine I used to own.

Not sure how much environmental damage could actually be done by adjusting a 2-stroke incorrectly. My thoughts would be that anyone who did so would burn it up and then in frustration switch to electric.

SuperHeat

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well that wasn't the answer I was looking for. I'm aware of the EPA rules but that doesn't explain why I can purchase a set of 4 screw drivers that will adjust certain carbs on a handful of different saws but can't get them for other chainsaws. Just doesn't make sense. Like you said, things are probably gonna get worse for people that can fix their own equipment.

the GOAT

87, k2 40:1
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
No it's more environmentally friendly to throw the saw away and buy a new one.

ArSawMechanic

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's the epa. Big gub'ment, if you will. I paid thru the nose for a walbro long D adjustment driver that fits some rotary barrel carbs. It came with a piece of paper warning that myself, the seller, & the distributor could each be fined 37k if I get caught with it.

SuperHeat

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, it really sucked having to buy a new carb because the pb250 blower has an adjustment screw (the mini double D I believe) that was destroyed by trying to make a simple adjustment. I am confused why the EPA thinks that this is a problem. If you think about it it is counterproductive. From my experience when the carb becomes out of adjustment the machine runs like crap or won't run at all. By adjusting the carb ever so slightly the machine will run like a raped ape. By taking the ability to adjust the carb away from people seems like it would pollute the environment more. The EPA must assume that everybody has extra cash laying around to buy a piece of equipment and then turn around and spend close to a hundred to have some guy turn a screw for you.

SuperHeat

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A Dremel is your friend.
That's what happened to the first carb! It's just ridiculous. You think it's all these chainsaws and two strokes that are polluting the environment? I don't think so! Look at China and their horrible air pollution. You think it's because of all the chainsaws they use over there? It's big industry doing it. Try spending a few hours in San Bernardino, Ca. You will be in pain trying to breathe after a day at the water park Raging Waters. I suppose it's the two strokes. Sorry, I'm venting guys. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, lol

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you can hit the web at the right time and find the carb splined tools you won't be disappointed. It sure beats cutting slots in them with a dremel.

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what happened to the first carb! It's just ridiculous. You think it's all these chainsaws and two strokes that are polluting the environment? I don't think so! Look at China and their horrible air pollution. You think it's because of all the chainsaws they use over there? It's big industry doing it. Try spending a few hours in San Bernardino, Ca. You will be in pain trying to breathe after a day at the water park Raging Waters. I suppose it's the two strokes. Sorry, I'm venting guys. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, lol

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can buy the 4 piece set cheap. Spline around $4

SuperHeat

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can buy the 4 piece set cheap. Spline around $4
Yeah, I found all kinds of combo packs and even ones sold individually unfortunately not the mini double D. I'll keep looking though.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Keep looking , a pain what has changed because of regulations .