Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know you or BBR. I do know what went down with Iron horse.
I have a question about this BBR deal. If you knew there could be an issue because of the Iron horse fiasco, why not present yourself as a fellow YouTuber, which you are, and that you were trying to get this project off the ground? Not an ope guy. This without the "this saw will eat your saws lunch" comment. I'm not sticking up for BBR but that challenge you presented, even meant as normal ball busting, appeared to rub BBR the wrong way. Even his body language shows it in that last vid you linked here. Another thing to consider, he's friends with this iron horse fellow. He knows none of us left here on ope most likely. I firmly believe IH is a lying thief and many of us helped that fella get a properly built saw after IH ruined his saw and stole the Master Mind ported cylinder off of it. Unfortunately the people in his circle believe him, BBR included. The BBR well is poisoned against any ope members because he had / has people reporting to him. To IH as well. Kensie was one of those people. It's a bummer it went sideways but as a guy on the outside looking in, it could have turned out differently if presented in a different manner.

Again....there was a note included with the saw that was never read .... so....

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back atcha, normally don't weigh in, but this one was interesting.

Was just what was needed. An outside perspective. Us "forum guys" had a issue with ol Iron Horse.....and he is a big buddy of Buckin Billy. So....herd mentality sorta dictates that we all sorta dislike that guy too.

You know how it works.

Thanks for the clear eyed dissection.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you bought a girl you never met a wedding ring and sent it to her with a note does she owe ya anything?

Interesting. But the perspective here is that she entertains all kinds of other suitors random gifts and veys for attention.... You know this and have seen it. Then you send a thoughtful gift and it gets pushed aside.

Does she owe me anything. Nope. Do I have some base level expectations....yes I do.

And yes...I like nice conversations too. Im fully aware that I've made mistakes here.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, an actual productive conversation in the world today. I appreciate that more than you know.

Good on ya for being interested in a different perspective.

It helps us grow 'n stuff.

You know me.......I speak my mind. Too much in all honesty.

I appreciate that quality in others as well. What I can't tolerate is rudeness, or thievery.

But a different perspective? We need more of that.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a semi-parallel track, Tim Khadzi with JK Boots sent BBR a set of boots a while back. I think he was pretty objective with them. He really liked the quality of them and the fit, what he didn’t care for was how wide their, like most of the Spokane area boots, stitchdown flare is compared to the Vibergs he was used to wearing that are still stitchdown but are trimmed much closer. There are advantages to both, and it’s broadly a personal preference.

I’ll also say this: I have a hard time believing any 288 will beat a good running “tickled” 394 or 395. A good running 394/5 should walk on about anything in its size class and it will just become more obvious the bigger the bars and wood becomes.

What I do believe he’s being genuine about is that few people ran the 288 in B.C while he was production falling. The 394 was a smash hit when it was introduced and was the natural replacement for the 2100. Coastal B.C & Vancouver Island were & are full of big wood when the guy was production falling and the 394/5 was, the saw du choix and broadly still is 25+ years later. I buy it from the guys I’ve met who were there in the 1980s & 1990s. From there the 262 was a common thinning saw up there, much like the 562XP is now, and the 266/268/272/371/372 were very common as the next step down. The 288/390 size saw is much more common in second growth where the trees were smaller. The 066 never really caught on in BC like it did in the US mostly because BC still had big wood and the 395 smoked it with long bars.

Still don’t like the guys’ schtick, can’t handle the editing style, he cuts & works a little “loose” for my liking, and what I can’t stand is splitting wood with such a short handle. 32” with a Michigan head is asking for a lot of bending at the back and mine couldn’t take it, I’m not even sure my 16 year old back would want to split wood with it. I’ll take your word on the other guy, I don’t have the time to pay attention to all of this.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a semi-parallel track, Tim Khadzi with JK Boots sent BBR a set of boots a while back. I think he was pretty objective with them. He really liked the quality of them and the fit, what he didn’t care for was how wide their, like most of the Spokane area boots, stitchdown flare is compared to the Vibergs he was used to wearing that are still stitchdown but are trimmed much closer. There are advantages to both, and it’s broadly a personal preference.

I’ll also say this: I have a hard time believing any 288 will beat a good running “tickled” 394 or 395. A good running 394/5 should walk on about anything in its size class and it will just become more obvious the bigger the bars and wood becomes.

What I do believe he’s being genuine about is that few people ran the 288 in B.C while he was production falling. The 394 was a smash hit when it was introduced and was the natural replacement for the 2100. Coastal B.C & Vancouver Island were & are full of big wood when the guy was production falling and the 394/5 was, the saw du chois and broadly still is 25+ years later. I buy it from the guys I’ve met who were there in the 1980s & 1990s. From there the 262 was a common thinning saw up there, much like the 562XP is now, and the 266/268/272/371/372 were very common as the next step down. The 288/390 size saw is much more common in second growth where the trees were smaller. The 066 never really caught on in BC like it did in the US mostly because BC still had big wood and the 395 smoked it with long bars.

Still don’t like the guys’ schtick, can’t handle the editing style, he cuts & works a little “loose” for my liking, and what I can’t stand is splitting wood with such a short handle. 32” with a Michigan head is asking for a lot of bending at the back and mine couldn’t take it, I’m not even sure my 16 year old back would want to split wood with it. I’ll take your word on the other guy, I don’t have the time to pay attention to all of this.
It was never REALLY about a 288 running down a ported 394, Matt suggested that as a rubbin' like all folks do prior to a gtg talking about saws. It was an excersise in promoting a new to the market product that supported a much loved vintage saw...the infamous 288. Now how Matt got bucked was right off the bat bbr canned 288's and told his audience how chit they were as a falling saw, then he proceeded to explain why and how much he hated Hi-Tops which was the product Matt was wanting promoting. Then After his questionable comparison where he totally down played his 'old worn out' 394 that was 'basically stock' he proceeded to claim this hot massively worked on 288 'should' put a beating on his old worn out 394 knowing for well he was never going to let that happen. Then to top it off after being generously gifted a rare desirable saw that considerate money and time were spent on he gave it away to his son. Matt may have made some judgements that we all agree were a little poor, but that BBR is a total POS.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe he’ll have second thoughts on the 288 too? Lmao. What a *B-S.... artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.