High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Briggs and Stratton help

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I am working on a horizontal engine model 136212, type 0026-01, it has 80 psi compression, has good spark, and a new plug, and it is wet, flywheel key is not sheared, I watched both valves open and close, I spray carb cleaner in the carb and cannot even get a pop, I am baffled and need some guidance, please.. thanks Ed..

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, I can check the valve lash, but there are no push rods, it isn't an OHV engine, and it did sit for a while in a barn.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take it to the nearest lake or river and toss it in! But really, sounds as though it might be valve related to me. 80 psi should be enough to get at least a whimper out of it.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you pulled the carb bowl off and look for junk in there from sitting ?

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you pulled the carb bowl off and look for junk in there from sitting ?

I would be very surprised if it's not all gunked up. Unless it was drianed or ran dry it'll have some crud. How volatile is carb cleaner? I have always used a shot of ether to "test fire" stuff like this. I'm of the theory that sometimes they need "woke up" and will run afterwords.

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No bowl on this one, it is mounted on top of the tank, I had the carb off and ran through the static cleaner blew out orfices and used a tag wire, installed a new diaphragm, and it won't even pop, with starting fluid. I am really scratching my head on this one.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No bowl on this one, it is mounted on top of the tank, I had the carb off and ran through the static cleaner blew out orfices and used a tag wire, installed a new diaphragm, and it won't even pop, with starting fluid. I am really scratching my head on this one.
the 80 psi concerns me some ,sounds like tight valves ,if the valves are too tight it will be hard to start cold

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
80psi is a tad low but its hard to tell with these since they have a auto decomp and that bleeds off cylinder pressure at low cranking speeds. 80psi in the shop here and we pop the head to have a look at the cylinder on the L head engines.

ok so i just looked at the ipl to see which carb that engine has. GOOD LUCK....give hand choking it a shot....palm of your hand over the carb completely and see what happens after a couple pulls. those engines will "run" with almost zero compression but getting them started is the problem and that style carb on top of the tank just adds to the aggravation of getting them started

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
fordf150, thanks for your reply, I have tried the palm over the carb trick, and it does nothing, I have a friend with a leak down tester, should that be my next move?

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
you said you watched the valves....that mean the head has been off and you looked at the cylinder?

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No, I took the spark plug out and shined a flashlight in the hole as I slowly pulled the rope and watched each of them open and close: however I will pull the head off tomorrow and check the cylinder, and go ahead and lap the valves and set the lash

295 tramp

Hillbilly Saws
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
blown head gasket. If it won't start with starter fluid something wrong. some times a bad plug will spark if your checking it off the head. but won't spark screwed in. sounds stupid but I seen it before try a different plug and a new head gasket will probably up the compression.

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tried a different plug, same results, I then discovered the intake valve was leaking, so I lapped the valves, and it still leaked, so I lapped it again, and it still leaked, I did replace the head gasket when I lapped the valves. I am ready to purchase a new valve to see if that seals it, cylinder had a some minor flaws, but nothing serious. I will update ..

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I also set the clearance on the intake valve at .006

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will the coil lead jump a spark atleast 1/4"? Are you using a champion rj19lm plug gapped .030"?
Lamination gap .010"?

The magatron coil on these don't produce good voltage cranking to really fire any other plug but a champion.
80 psi cranking is normal for a 130 series briggs. They hold the intake valve open some of the compression stroke. Easy spin starting.

Ed Prater

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't have it back together yet to check the spark jump, I did order a new intake valve, I discovered this one is bent, question though, with it holding the intake valve open a bit for compression release, I am assuming it would be later in the cycle, not at tdc, correct me if I am wrong but at tdc, I am thinking both valves should be closed and therefor should not have any leakage.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes you are correct. When you get the new valves installed, before you put the head on turn the engine slowly and watch the valves. You will see how it all works. At speed it all happens so fast it doesn't really hurt power.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
re-check the flywheel key