newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello from newguy#2!

I am starting my refurbishment project of my 20-year old saw, a Jonsered 2050 Turbo. It's my first chainsaw and it has sat in my garage un-fueled for the last 10 years. It's mostly original, save for it's 3rd chain and a spark plug. I bought it new at a dealer for $249 in 1999 with 3 spare chains. Became 'sold' on Jonsered's after seeing a local logger who used nothing but!

My plan is to disassemble & clean to the point where I can get it running reliably again. I'm a homeowner who uses the saw for yard maintenance and deadfall removal, plus some firewood.

I'm also considering a new 16" bar & chain (currently 18" roller-tip), and would appreciate suggestions for those items. I plan to remove all plastic & spray the plastic with citrus cleaner, then scrub with nylon brush & rinse / dry. The metal engine will get sprayed with degreaser and / or carb cleaner then brushed & wiped. New plug & reassembly, possibly carb cleaning & air filter too.

I'm hoping that knowledgable members will provide suggestions & guidance to help me see this project through - Thanks in advance! :)

I must be coming down with chainsaw fever because I'm ready to go buy myself a Husqvarna 543XP! :eek:

tempImageR3EaVR.png tempImagewqPXwC.png tempImagehxqNTR.png tempImagevF8D2b.png

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Alex!

Chain selection is another issue I was interested in researching; I had considered an Oregon bar & chain set (16") but wanted to learn more about different chain types before final decision making. So far, my limited research indicates I need to know how to select a chain that has the right number of drive links, cutting tooth style, width and length. Best performance is the driving factor here; I don't anticipate heavy use with the 2050 once refurbishment is complete.

Just visited a dealer to get a look at a Husqvarna 543XP, but they had none in stock (even at their other 8 locations) so I'm now wondering if the 543XP might be in the process of being 'phased out', which seemed to be the case with the 2050 Turbo when I bought it in '99 :(

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Alex!

Chain selection is another issue I was interested in researching; I had considered an Oregon bar & chain set (16") but wanted to learn more about different chain types before final decision making. So far, my limited research indicates I need to know how to select a chain that has the right number of drive links, cutting tooth style, width and length. Best performance is the driving factor here; I don't anticipate heavy use with the 2050 once refurbishment is complete.

Just visited a dealer to get a look at a Husqvarna 543XP, but they had none in stock (even at their other 8 locations) so I'm now wondering if the 543XP might be in the process of being 'phased out', which seemed to be the case with the 2050 Turbo when I bought it in '99 :(
If you only cut a little firewood and other small jobs a semi chisel chain would be good enough. The Husqvarna SP33G is a very good semi chisel chain, idk if it exists in 16" though. Otherwise the Oregon 95TXL is more or less the same. 15" has 64 drivelinks.

Stihl 23RSP is also a good option if you want a full chisel chain.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
4:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I very much like these. My first saw as well...I now have about 3 of them waiting for me to go thru. thanks for the reminder ;-)

I'd replace all the hoses, maybe carb kit. As I recall there is a goofy little short piece of hose between the carb and cylinder that is the impulse hose. I liked the speedcut on it, better for dirty wood, but RSP would be faster.

Davidwyby’s 2050s | Outdoor Power Equipment Forum (opeforum.com)

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago I lost a screw for mine and went to the local small engine shop to scrounge a screw. Didn't find one but came home with 4 projects saws, ha!

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found the Husqvarna sp33G in 16", looks like a matching bar is HVA HLN250-66 'Pixel' bar.

This should be a nice upgrade! The original 18 bar is still serviceable but after owning an electric chainsaw with a 16" bar, I like the handling of that size saw.

Can anyone offer their ideas about the Husqvarna 543XP? It's a bit smaller but should work nicely for the limited use it would get at my place.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
543 is simply backordered at the moment. (like half of the models in the catalog) No need to fill in the blanks with your imagination. Just need Husky to fill some backorders. The 543 was supposed to be the overdue successor to the old 242XP. Not quite, but pretty close. Got some guys turned on to it who are way too young to remember the old 242 anyway. But the price is closing in on $600 territory now, ($580), so that limits it to people who really zero in on that saw and gotta have it.

For saws this size, and your 2050, the narrow kerf chains are just fine. Especially for your stated use.

For the 2050 project, be careful on disassembly as parts for them are scarce. Internal parts that were shared with the Husky 40/45/49 models might be a little easier to find. It's worth doing, cause these saws are cool in their own odd way. Very smooth AV on those saws, and quite ahead of most everything else that was on the market at that time.

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I concluded that myself, it's made in Japan...But it's nice, it'll work well here...

Sti(h)ll gonna finish up the Jred though....:) Just picked the HVA today, ran it a little, wanted to show it off a little...

Any ideas on who actually makes it? Echo??

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I concluded that myself, it's made in Japan...But it's nice, it'll work well here...

Sti(h)ll gonna finish up the Jred though....:) Just picked the HVA today, ran it a little, wanted to show it off a little...

Any ideas on who actually makes it? Echo??
Zenoah makes it, heard it's very nice saw when ported.

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't started cleaning....yet :(

Four long bolts came out of the bottom, I think they hold the motor into the case (I removed them thinking the case would separate - it didn't).

I'm contemplating attempting to remove the electrical component then wash the rest with some type of mild degreaser.

Air filter cleaned up nicely with diluted dish detergent & hot water.

Advice / comments welcome! My first chainsaw refurbish:eek:

@Spike60, thanks for the advice on parts handling; I could hear that post ringing in my ears every time I removed a screw or part! :D

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I’d leave the cylinder bolted down unless you really think there might be something wrong in there. IIRC, there may be a trick to hooking the throttle cable back up.

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I figured that about the throttle cable; actually re-connected it during disassembly to verify I had it right.

I'll reinstall those long bolts before proceeding tomorrow - Thanks :)

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started up with about 15 or so pulls....Runs fine (forgot how powerful this saw is), but there may be an 'oiling' problem.

Chain doesn't seem to be getting any oil, although there is plenty leaking out from the clutch area. Any suggestions on how to fix the chain oiler? The bar (which I cleaned up with a file) gets pretty warm from a 1-minute run; I loosened the new HVA SP33G 'X-Cut' chain a little, seemed to help. Very little (if any) oil coming off the chain while pointed at a cloth on the ground.

The family:

Attachments

• tempImage0edAEl.png
    tempImage0edAEl.png
    859 KB · Views: 25

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, I cannot remember a thing about the oilers on those. I may not have ever messed with them. I’d just pull it apart…check out an IPL for the saw.