Flippen Briggs

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know anything about this easy spin business or the solid state coil .I doubt that after market cheap coil has a built in spark advance like a real magnetron type. It starts fine and seems to run fine .I would not doubt that engine dates back to the 70's and it's a replacement by the fact it
has a that second shaft which they used on some machines .That's all I want out of it .It might get used a half hour a year if that . Fact I've got two more tillers .Another exactly like this and "Yellow Bird " which is a rear tined tiller .Add to that a little junk yard full of riding mowers abiding in my woods . I'm up to my hip pocket's in small engines plus may be 35 chainsaws that run out of 50 I'm sure all

ran at one time.:)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a similar thing, small engines I discovered another thing which I never knew and found it by accident .The Kawasaki on my Toro zero turn has a low oil pressure switch .I was using it at idle speed ,hot engine to spray Round Up on my driveway .It either shuts off the spark or the carb solenoid valve .Let it set for a few minutes and it starts right up .I guess I'll need to speed the engine up a tad on hot oil . Might be the filter which because I only put at best 30 hours a year on , I only change it once every two years .The oil, full synthetic once a year .7 years old with 170 hours .

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a similar thing, small engines I discovered another thing which I never knew and found it by accident .The Kawasaki on my Toro zero turn has a low oil pressure switch .I was using it at idle speed ,hot engine to spray Round Up on my driveway .It either shuts off the spark or the carb solenoid valve .Let it set for a few minutes and it starts right up .I guess I'll need to speed the engine up a tad on hot oil . Might be the filter which because I only put at best 30 hours a year on , I only change it once every two years .The oil, full synthetic once a year .7 years old with 170 hours .

Air cooled engines are not meant to be babied. They need some rpm to push air volume over the fins to dissipate heat. Too much heat will cause excessive valve guide wear. And then... you'll have a low hour oil burner.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can attest to that as fact .It was just so easy to squirt weed killer in front of the machine running slow .A lot easier than carrying a heavy sprayer down a 600 foot driveway then back again .That's damn near a quarter of a mile .
On a side note that last Harley I owned was a souped up iron engine 900 .In heavy traffic it would boil the engine oil in the tank . TT special .A stop at a bar would take two beers before that SOB would start again and that thing was a kicker to boot . That one had to go before it killed me .

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can attest to that as fact .It was just so easy to squirt weed killer in front of the machine running slow .A lot easier than carrying a heavy sprayer down a 600 foot driveway then back again .That's damn near a quarter of a mile .
On a side note that last Harley I owned was a souped up iron engine 900 .In heavy traffic it would boil the engine oil in the tank . TT special .A stop at a bar would take two beers before that SOB would start again and that thing was a kicker to boot . That one had to go before it killed me .

I had a kicker too. I figured it was safer. If you're too drunk to kick it, you're too drunk to drive it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the Harley it was a chore .I weighed about 230 then and it was a chore .At 195 now it might be impossible .--that one was not stock .BTW I could flat foot a '53 pan '74 .I sure wished I still had that one, the sport was a widow maker .The '74 always started hot or cold .Had to give them up :(

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're not going to get an accurate compression reading unless you disable the decompression system on the camshaft. You'll then have to turn the motor over with a large drill, as the recoil won't be enough. without damaging it.

It slightly bumps open a valve, then when the engine gets up to idle speed, the centrifical force disengages the decompression system.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Briggs and strapon, don't even get me started with that Wisconsin junk

9050lx

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Known around these parts as briggs and scrapiron, still wouldn't trade my 30-40 yr old Briggs pushmowers for a new Kohler or Honda. they keep going with just a yearly oil change.Keep them out of the rain and run E-free gasoline.