Bar oil alternative

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running straight rapeseed/canola oil for over a decade with no issues.

158005843.P6mZ2nSG.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Just keep in mind that whatever alternative you use, you're going to end up breathing some of it. There was a thread on another forum about
running used motor oil and one guy (accurately) posted that some bar oil ends up "aerosolized", which means it's going into your lungs while
cutting.

Agree. Kind of where I was at with the canola oil comment JJ. I figure 90ish% veg oil has to be better than 100% petroleum. Heck some of the bar oils talked about in this thread smell like used motor oil.

For me this makes sense since I’m using saws frequently near my head/shoulder level while climbing trees. The 50-50 stp atf mixture at 10ish% seems to combat much of the negative attributes of canola oil. If I know I’ll let a saw sit on the shelf awhile I’ll run a tank of just atf through it with a glug of stp to clean things up. It just makes sense to me to take care of the only body I’m likely to have.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a lot of the bar oil that’s inexpensive is made from used motor oil. I’ve seen it on packaging “recycled” oil

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will it gum up the oiler if you leave it in there for say 3 months?

If it is pure rapeseed it won't. However, if you leave wood fibers mixed with rapeseed on a bar for a couple of years, it will gum up. That's how long it took on a bar I had in the shop sitting on a wall once. I freed it with a few drops of mix. I suspect any oil that has oxidized can easily be removed this way. I'm not sure why folks are afraid of it. I also suggest spraying your saws off with a compressor on occasion regardless of what oil you use. Wood has very gunky stuff in it itself.

Since rapeseed contains a monounsaturated acid, and it does not have the polyunsaturated fats like many other oils(and even those marketed as bio-oils), so it tends not to oxidize too much inside the saw, if any.
Outside, it can mix with saw dust and get gunky if you leave it around for a very long time in a cold climate.
Usually more rapeseed will un gunk it, or one could simply use a bit of 2 stroke fuel, the universal ungunker.
I have only had the one bar that sat for years give me any issues. Never had issues otherwise, not even a hint.

We have had many saws sit around for various amounts of times without issues as every saw we use on our 700 acre estate runs rapeseed since 2013, and I have personally been doing so on my own equipment since 2010. Still, our saws don't often sit around for a very long time. We got work to do.

170860333.a94lyyYy.jpg

Here's a bunch of filthy wood left over from a flood.

167381017.m4OxoTrG.jpg

Some of the big stuff gets planked.

168442505.6H5ahXag.jpg

Most turns in to fire wood.

167386662.HqWJdIb3.jpg

And none of our saws are stock:

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might have to just pass that cost along to the customer if you can't find a cheap source. I know that's never a good feeling but, sometimes it just is what it is.
Problem is, at least up here in North Idaho, most everyone is strapped for cash this year, and the customers can't afford a dime more. Diesel just hit 4.72 a gallon today so everyone is broke around here. Even gas is 4.10 a gal

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is pure rapeseed it won't. However, if you leave wood fibers mixed with rapeseed on a bar for a couple of years, it will gum up. That's how long it took on a bar I had in the shop sitting on a wall once. I freed it with a few drops of mix. I suspect any oil that has oxidized can easily be removed this way. I'm not sure why folks are afraid of it. I also suggest spraying your saws off with a compressor on occasion regardless of what oil you use. Wood has very gunky stuff in it itself.

Since rapeseed contains a monounsaturated acid, and it does not have the polyunsaturated fats like many other oils(and even those marketed as bio-oils), so it tends not to oxidize too much inside the saw, if any.
Outside, it can mix with saw dust and get gunky if you leave it around for a very long time in a cold climate.
Usually more rapeseed will un gunk it, or one could simply use a bit of 2 stroke fuel, the universal ungunker.
I have only had the one bar that sat for years give me any issues. Never had issues otherwise, not even a hint.

We have had many saws sit around for various amounts of times without issues as every saw we use on our 700 acre estate runs rapeseed since 2013, and I have personally been doing so on my own equipment since 2010. Still, our saws don't often sit around for a very long time. We got work to do.

170860333.a94lyyYy.jpg

Here's a bunch of filthy wood left over from a flood.

167381017.m4OxoTrG.jpg

Some of the big stuff gets planked.

168442505.6H5ahXag.jpg

Most turns in to fire wood.

167386662.HqWJdIb3.jpg

And none of our saws are stock:

dope! So do you buy it bulk or?

I ran some various veggie oil. Didn’t hurt saws but it gummed up my oiler (After I let the saw sit and the oil was pretty rotten smelling). I doubt it was straight canola

I’ve seen it online sold by the pound. I’d assume for restaurant use. I’ll certainly try a gallon again.

my saws sit more of the year than they get used.

I’m just looking at the current prices.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking of mixxing bar oil & canola oil, 50/50 ……….

2 reasons:
1. 50% of canola mist has to be better than 100% petroleum mist

2. The absolute cheapest bar oil cost about $15/gallon in my area. Aint no farm warehouses or such and those places charge alot for shipping. Canola oil is $6/gallon.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the cost of canola oil & rapeseed oil ?

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s in stihl bio oil? I’m sure you’d be able to closely duplicate it for cheap.

can you buy any of that Chinese gutter oil ?
It’ll make you think differently about street/restaurant food.

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^thats insane, go to Walmart or restaurant supply and buy the cheapest fryer oil you can seams like the best course of action.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^thats insane, go to Walmart or restaurant supply and buy the cheapest fryer oil you can seams like the best course of action.
Regular was $15.99 gal & Winter was $19.99 gallon. I just happened to see the bio stuff. I should of asked how much of it they sell. I’ll ask Syd next time I am there.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a lot of the bar oil that’s inexpensive is made from used motor oil. I’ve seen it on packaging “recycled” oil

The cheapest of the bar oils are usually used engine oil that’s been filtered then had a tackifier added. The main problem with this is, they cannot filter out the sulphuric acid which is a by product of an internal combustion gasoline engine... So think about what you are willing to put into your saw for what you’re paying for the oil - for some it’s worth it, and for others it isn’t..

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cheapest of the bar oils are usually used engine oil that’s been filtered then had a tackifier added. The main problem with this is, they cannot filter out the sulphuric acid which is a by product of an internal combustion gasoline engine... So think about what you are willing to put into your saw for what you’re paying for the oil - for some it’s worth it, and for others it isn’t..

Mile master comes to mind. I thought I got a smoking deal at farm and fleet a few years ago. 2.99 a gallon! Stuff looked and smelt just like drain oil. I had bought all they had. 20 some gal. Was able to take some back and gave the rest away with saws I sold.

Steven