High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Bad cylinder on a brand new 346XP, what's the best thing to do?

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
1:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys,

A few days ago I removed the cylinder of my brand new ported 346xp. I bought this saw a few years ago, and I was keeping it for later. Saw was never started.

And no, I didn't remove the cylinder to look at the builder's work, I did it to replace the original intake boot with a 357 one.

Here's the overview,

DSC_0965.JPG
As you can say, it doesn't look nice. I took a closer look,

DSC_0970.JPG

And here's the most scary part, there's notches between the uppers, on both sides. Looks like it will catch a ring:

DSC_0971.JPG

The intake is barely touched, but the shiny part is the worst, it just looks like it was done with a hammer and a chisel:

DSC_0968.JPG

And the exhaust is just done the same way, extremely rough and irregular :

DSC_0974.JPG

I paid $900 for this saw, I can't say how bitter I am. This saw was supposed to be my "precious", and right now, I'm just glad I didn't start it first.

I didn't make this thread to stir crap on the builder, he don't post here and I didn't see on AS for a long time, and I don't think he port saws anymore. Plus it's a guy I usually appreciate, I know he had some health issues when he built this saw (it's not an excuse, I know), but I don't want to start a fight, so please, don't ask more about him.

I made this thread to get your advices, I honestly don't know what to do. At firt, I was thinking to ask another builder to fix this, but with these notches between the uppers I'm afraid this cylinder is just a piece of garbage. But I'm a newbie at porting, so I don't know, maybe it's just fine to run it like this?

So here's the options:

-Running the saw with this cylinder, hopefully it will be ok...
-Trying to clean this mess by myself with a few carbide burrs
-Sending the cylinder to someone else to have it fixed if this still can be saved
-Buying a new cylinder and have it ported by someone else (IMHO the best option, I really want to make a great runner with this saw).

I won't send it back to the original builder, it's too hard to communicate with him and I don't want to start a fight about this.

So what would you do?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be getting a new cylinder and have it ported.
The intake looks like it has the dreaded flat spot from too much being taken off of the base.
I don't have a clue as to why the transferrs have notches, I dont like them.
Seeing the squish wasnt touched, the clearance has to be in the piston as a popup.
With so much taken out of the base, I'd be concerned about the crown to ring land thickness

Any pictures of the piston, and any chance of measuring the land to crown distance ?

In the picture below, you can see that there is still some material for the clamp to hold the intake to the neck.
Thats 0.035 off of the base
IMG_4160.JPG

Last edited:

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The amount of carbon suggests it's had some run time since the build? Is that right? Not by you, but by the builder?

Probably tried by the builder I suppose.

I'd be getting a new cylinder and have it ported.
The intake looks like it has the dreaded flat spot from too much being taken off of the base.
I don't have a clue as to why the transferrs have notches, I dont like them.
Seeing the squish wasnt touched, the clearance has to be in the piston as a popup.
With so much taken out of the base, I'd be concerned about the crown to ring land thickness

Any pictures of the piston, and any chance of measuring the land to crown distance ?

As you can see, I replaced the intake clamp with a Stihl one, never had an air leak on any of my 346's like this.

Attachments

• DSC_0963.JPG
    DSC_0963.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0964.JPG
    DSC_0964.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 113

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 if the builder won't replace it judging by what you're saying.
Buy a new oem and have it ported.
The cost may have went way down since you bought the saw for cylinder kits.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd try and smooth out some of the shoddy port work and mistakes and see how she runs. Its pretty bad when you trust someone with a new expensive NLA saw & they do that stuff, he would have been well aware of what he did. Put a few hours run time on it then remove & inspect P/C to see how its going. But that work looks real rough, I hope you end up with a good saw after parting with your hard earned $$ & end up with the saw you deserved. At this stage I bet you wish the saw was stock & not damaged. Grrrh....

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I just bought a few burrs, but I ordered them before seeing these notches. The way I see them, it's accidental, he slept with his grinding tool, and that's it...

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will send a new cylinder kit to any builder that wants to do this saw.

I really appreciate, but don't do this for free, just let me know how much I must send you. A new OEM cylinder is crazy high priced in France, so I'll be happy to buy one from you for probably half the price!

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Captain, you will probably get a better deal not only ordering from the US but from one of our fantastic members. The generosity of this forum baffles me on the regular.

Get a top end and send it to one of the fine gentlemen here who love a good little husky!

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't believe how great this forum is. I talked with Onan18, he'll supply a brand new cylinder for me.

Actually, he did even more for me, he just asked some well know builders to port it for me if they have the time.

Thanks my friend.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will send a new cylinder kit to any builder that wants to do this saw.
Holy Batman wowzers!! That is one generous gift. In countries like France & Australia if you walked into a husky dealer and ordered a new P/C it would be somwhere between $350-$550!! Now if Captain decided to send his cylinder he'd be up for a decent bunch in shipping both ways and the cost of repairs. Your offer to help him gives renewed faith in a world where we often loose confidence in humanity. Outstanding to say the least!

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sware, If I hadn't a wife, a kid, lots of good friend and a nice house, I'll love to find a logger's job somewhere in the USA. Not only for the saws prices, but for your f-in' great craft beers!

And I'll love to cut one of these giants tree in Oregon or California!