ATOP Square Chainsaw Filing Guide

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a homemade chain vise....Holds chain secure for filing with no movement....Just happens to be roughly the same width of a saw bar...The atop jig fit right on it

Any details you can offer? Or a few more pictures from different angles?
Thanks

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got mine out and tried it. Should have started with an already square chain I think. Helps to remove the shoulder of the link on the down side before hand. It is not idiot proof like a husky roller. Corner to corner
and feed pressure are tricky to modulate, at least starting out with a messed up round chain. A setup with two rollers like a husky would be cool. Different rollers for different angles.
I ended up with a little side beak as others pictured and a very shallow=fast inside top plate angle. I ended up with a blunt top plate angle witch translates to a blunt side cutter…I think this is contradictory. The aggressive hook makes it want to feed and grab a big bite but the blunt side cutter struggles to shear it.
I ran it 24” on a ported 2156 with an 8 pin. Should have gone 7 but was in a hurry. I tried it in dry hard pitchy Aleppo pine first…probably the most difficult thing I have to cut here…not as hard/dirty as eucalyptus but tougher, especially if there are knots. It was on/off bite/grabby/slip. Rakers soft setting with husky progressive. I need to try it with a 7 and a different bar, I have had this bar slip/grab like that before with cowboy skip.
However, I also tried it in some soft ponderosa pine. It seemed to haul pretty good! I just made the two cuts real quick so as not to irritate the neighbors too much. I suspect it will be good in clean softer wood. Madsens article points out that most get a beak when filing and that combined with the ATOP inside angle makes for a fragile cutter…a ground chain with closer to stock angles would be better for most of the junk I cut.

My background with square: a while back I got a 3/8” square ground from @chiselbit and didn’t do very well resharpening it freehand. Last night I resharpened some factory square .404 successfully. Lot easier with the bigger chain. I may try to do this .375 chain again freehand with angles I think are more appropriate. I have a square ground by @Armbru84 and another by @Benwa I can compare to, should be fun.

I have an old Granberg and just ordered some 3 sided files to try in it…I think that will be a better setup. More flexibility on angles, do skip chain, etc.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Little too much off the rakers, ha! Interesting how it settles with the dogs. In larger, harder wood, it wants to stall with dogs. The ported Dolmar 6100 pulls it thru 24” soft stuff. I should try a 7pin…I think it’s a 70cc plus chain for bigger wood though. Really should try it on the 3120…2F189C3B-FFD9-4CD5-A2C3-5C3A4F69FDED.jpeg522A009B-E4FE-4973-9F99-7F79A44174C3.jpeg1EA31B24-328F-43A4-8273-22DEBF9B4368.jpeg