ATOP Square Chainsaw Filing Guide

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This device has been mentioned in a number of threads, going back 17 years on some forums! But there seem to be limited comments on it (aside from the 'For Sale' / 'Sold' threads). Or, perhaps, they are scattered among multiple square file threads? I was hoping to collect feedback from users in one thread for people who are interested in these.

Screen shot 2021-01-24 at 12.46.30 PM.png

https://www.baileysonline.com/atop-square-chisel-bit-filing-guide-assembly-15280.html

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A key challenge and barrier to square filing is learning how to position the file. So, an effective file guide should be attractive. The comments I have been able to find mention the following.

***Can folks who have used, or at least tried, the ATOP file guide, share their experiences, and maybe address these topics?***

- Cost is expensive.

- Works only on some types of chain (pitch? sequence? etc.).

- Requires use of single bevel files.

- Does not allow variation in angles.

- Makes more of a 'racing' chain than a 'work' chain.

- Helpful to learn how to square file, but not necessary after.

Thanks.

Philbert

nixon

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found it to be a great tool to learn with . If you read the instructions , it is kinda obvious that it is a tool for folks that can already file square ,as the instructions are minimal . But ,it is still great at teach the beginner . One thing it didn’t mention was the need to make sure that the fixture is centered ,and plumb ( level with the bar and chain . If the rollers are not at the same angle on each side , it will change the angle of your top plate ,and the lean on the side plate . Not a biggy ,and likely obvious to and experienced person .

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I reached out to Bailey's, who is the US Distributor for the ATOP guide, with some questions, and have summarized their responses below:

- The ATOP guide is only for full-sized, 3/8 pitch, full comp (standard sequence) chain.

- There is no special kit for using a 'goofy' file; they suggest using it with the standard file guide if preferred.

- The 'Racing Kit' was a separate set of rollers (no longer available) that changed the top plate angle by 5°.

- Some of the support documentation (PDF) is outdated.

- They did not appear to be familiar with square filing .325 pitch chains.

Philbert

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s too bad these aren’t a little more universal.
I’ve looked at them a few times, thinking it looks handy. But sadly I’ve got to many different types of chain, you know for science.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
- The 'Racing Kit' was a separate set of rollers (no longer available) that changed the top plate angle by 5°.
If someone had one of those rollers they could be copied!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are pretty simple rollers / tubes. Would be simple to make.

You could build up the current ones with tape to determine a specific diameter for your preferred angles, file, chain, etc. Maybe even to compensate for wear.

111FC530-DAD2-4258-8038-AFB01F9DAF4C.jpeg

Philbert

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I had a more eloquent post written but I went to grab a old photo and lost all of it.

I own an Atop jig and for the cost I don't find it worth it.

For a few reasons.

A. Only works with standard 3/8

B. File can flex against roller if you get careless. Causing a roundish on top of cutter.

C. This may just be personal preference. But the angle the tooth is on is very shallow. Which I find way different from what I see normally taught on here.

If you are looking for an alternative I went to a dealer and picked up some 3 sided files to try in place of my double bevel.
I can see if they work in a granberg style jig.

Edit: it's been a few years. But I want to say I think the racing rollers ended up going into the kit. Or you could use a layer electrical tape to achieve it. I can't remember which.

Screenshot_20210202-093606__01.jpg

Last edited:

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up the box of files on the way home. Been messing with them for the parts 30 mins.

So far I'm liking the shape more than the double bevel and seem very easy to free hand.

I also pulled out my granberg jig but didn't use it. However I did find a site that talks about modifying it to work.

http://treefalling.com/

IMG_20210202_145616.jpg IMG_20210202_144526__01.jpg IMG_20210202_144140.jpg

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More feedback from Bailey's:

Hi Philbert, Sorry for the delay, I reached out to the manufacturer to get accurate answers to your questions.

"- Was there ever a version for .325 pitch chains?
Yes there was a .325 version made at early stage, but never taken to the market as we found along the work of development that 3/8 fullchisel is the most common chain for pro user and speed cut users in the US.

- Some early photos show different diameter guide rollers: are these still available?
The "small" diameter rollers was found out at early stage to give a better top plate angle for speed cutting. The small rollers have been on the jig from day one in the US market and will most likely be so going forward.

- The instructions mention a 'Racing Kit', and some comments refer to a 'Goofy File' version: can you clarify if these are just different rollers, or completely different tools, or . . . ?
This is due to the old instruction where we wanted multiple versions of rollers to cover the need on the markets. So the so called Racing Kit is the same rollers that come with the jig from Baileys today. Spare rollers are available but none have yet asked for them in the US. About 100 blanks are still avaliable,and then no more units will be made. The market is limited and the unit is complicated to make, what make us pleased at the moment is non (zero) complains or any warranty claim. Next project is to go to the US market with our 3/8 fullchisel chain. "

Philbert

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More feedback from Bailey's:

Hi Philbert, Sorry for the delay, I reached out to the manufacturer to get accurate answers to your questions.

"- Was there ever a version for .325 pitch chains?
Yes there was a .325 version made at early stage, but never taken to the market as we found along the work of development that 3/8 fullchisel is the most common chain for pro user and speed cut users in the US.

- Some early photos show different diameter guide rollers: are these still available?
The "small" diameter rollers was found out at early stage to give a better top plate angle for speed cutting. The small rollers have been on the jig from day one in the US market and will most likely be so going forward.

- The instructions mention a 'Racing Kit', and some comments refer to a 'Goofy File' version: can you clarify if these are just different rollers, or completely different tools, or . . . ?
This is due to the old instruction where we wanted multiple versions of rollers to cover the need on the markets. So the so called Racing Kit is the same rollers that come with the jig from Baileys today. Spare rollers are available but none have yet asked for them in the US. About 100 blanks are still avaliable,and then no more units will be made. The market is limited and the unit is complicated to make, what make us pleased at the moment is non (zero) complains or any warranty claim. Next project is to go to the US market with our 3/8 fullchisel chain. "

Philbert

It's been awhile since I messed with it but I was like 90% sure on the rollers being the "race kit"....... Would you like me to send you mine to see if you like it. You may have to order a new file, But I swear to god it's not a good investment.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought about buying one years ago, never did. Expensive, only works with one size and sequence of chain and only with single side square files. A lot left to be desired.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you like me to send you mine to see if you like it.
Thanks. Very generous of you. I have one now to try, that is headed off to another member when I am done. I appreciate your input, photos, comments, etc.

Do you think that changing the diameter of the rollers would address the shallow angles that you mention?

Philbert

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Very generous of you. I have one now to try, that is headed off to another member when I am done. I appreciate your input, photos, comments, etc.

Do you think that changing the diameter of the rollers would address the shallow angles that you mention?

Philbert

I just don't even bother with it anymore. I just do my square by hand.

However, I have some work down in Florida coming up and with the per diem I'm going to be buy a square grinder.

Plus I don't have that many 3/8 most of my saws run 404.

Last edited:

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dug my atop out of the tool box....Started playing with it and made bigger rollers for it....Got angles more for race chain but it cut a cherry tree pretty good
13643f7d892b7552c5336bdaddafc9fd.jpg
323b085fac787a1d9e11db54a8ee1891.jpg
4c5004fe6d8bd1681f56dd97cf921355.jpg
e51b91aebeceed252e90e55515e505f6.jpg
de01e93147f3e492bee334a0a8a5aef6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dug my atop out of the tool box....Started playing with it and made bigger rollers for it....Got angles more for race chain but it cut a cherry tree pretty good
13643f7d892b7552c5336bdaddafc9fd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
@spencerpaving : Some details on the mounting jig shown here?
Thanks