High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Aspen Alkylate Fuel

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well trying to figure out how much oil would need to be added to make a true 40:1.

Jug of Aspen is 1.3 gallons
1.3 gallons = 166.4 oz
1 gallon = 128 oz
1 gallon needs 3.2 oz to make 40:1
1 gallon need 2.56oz to make 50:1
3.2 ÷ 128 = .025oz per oz of gas @ 40:1
2.56÷128= .020oz per oz of gas @ 50:1

.025x166.4=4.160oz of oil to make 1.3G 40:
.020x166.4=3.328oz of oil to make 1.3G 50:

4.160-3.328= .832 oz of oil to make what I have into 40:1 mix.

Does this sound right?

Screenshot_20210221-173928~2.png

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently found some for around $18.5/gal free shipping, so I figured it's worth a try being so much cheaper than Stihl Motomix. Looks like they upped the price to $23/gal since my order. I kinda wondered what would happen price wise or if they would cancel considering recent gas prices, and it doesn't seem like they sell much. I think it was out of stock, so it took 1 month to arrive. Says online no benzene or aromatics, but on the bottle it just says "virtually benzene free" and "very low in aromatics". Also has a warning to californians that it can expose them to benzene. Maybe there's a law in the US that requires benzene and aromatics in all gasoline type fuels?
https://www.russopower.com/aspen-2-ethanol-free-2-cycle-fuel-1-3-gallon

Looks 2 years old based on the date at the bottom.

DSC02341 (975x1300).jpg

DSC02342 (1070x1300).jpg

DSC02343 (1128x1300).jpg

Hi, Many people in Sweden get Headache and Cough after using Aspen 2 stroke mix. Thats why many mix The Aspen 4 stroke, With the oil that smells good and make you feel better.
I'll have to ask a pro logger on another forum which he uses, because he says he switched to Aspen, and it doesn't bother his lungs hardly at all unlike regular gas.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if this has been covered or not. But I've had to replace a awful lot of carb diaphrams after switching from pump gas to canned fuel.

Has anyone else had this issue? I used to run canned fuel through all my ope before it was shelved. But anymore I just keep startron or blue stabil in my mix and only run e free rec gas.

Rebuild enough carbs during the week. Don't need to be doing it on my own stuff.

Steven

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if this has been covered or not. But I've had to replace a awful lot of carb diaphrams after switching from pump gas to canned fuel.

Has anyone else had this issue? I used to run canned fuel through all my ope before it was shelved. But anymore I just keep startron or blue stabil in my mix and only run e free rec gas.

Rebuild enough carbs during the week. Don't need to be doing it on my own stuff.

Steven
Here it's not recommended running normal gas if the saw has lived in alky.
Here most run Aspen because its better in every way. We dont have normal gasc thats ethanol free.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven
Haven’t noticed, talked my buddy into canned gas 4-5 years ago and that was the last carb of his I had apart. Was every spring before that even with 91 for some reason.

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Has anyone else had this issue?

That's a Fact if you have run Pump Gas for a longer Time and then you switch to Alkylate Fuel, that we know here. If you run Pump Gas for a short Period and then you switch, there should be no problem.

Last edited:

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been around for quite some time in the uk,, I will find a thread on it.

and there is a but about carbs don’t like being used on petrol first, weather it’s the ethanol in petrol it or not I don’t know, it changes the flexibility of the diaphragm and stuff. The carb will need to be retuned just a little

apparently it’s long lasting stuff ie does not go stale like petrol, burns cleaner, better for health Etc. I will say no more about it than .......

its more than 4x the price of petrol in the uk, that’s why I don’t use it.
I left in a saw for 10 months, started it yesterday, same three pulls on choke,
then one more to start, so in that sense am delighted.
And yes, when I used it first, I put it in a saw that had standard mix, and had
to adjust the carb, big change in saw, sadly I forget whether it was more or
less fuel I gave it, but I would not give anyone a saw that was using standard
mix and allow them to use Aspen mix unless I heard it going, given my limited experience with a low hour EA4300 and Aspen mix, for all I do I use
it now, If I have a lot of cutting to do I will try regular mix again, and note the difference.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about a slow transition, mixing in aspen at increasing amounts over the course of several tanks?
Its would be a chance to take, might pay off, might not.
If standard fuel mix is working I would not change to it,
a lot more expensive to use, I do so little it doesn't matter so I used
in saws that were new, and I can confirm it cleans, as I put it in a saw that
used standard mix, and the soot came flying out the muffler, re-tune was also
necessary, am almost sure I gave the saw more fuel, head like a strainer.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think it's premixed already if I had to guess. It says 2% on the jug which would be 50:1.
Yes the Aspen 2 is already mixed. The Aspen 4 is not, as its used in four strokes.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the Aspen 2 is already mixed. The Aspen 4 is not, as its used in four strokes.
Chicanics, website has a segment on alkylite fuels
She and her Hubby run a parts & repair shop in Arkansas
and she demonstrates it drawbacks

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven’t noticed, talked my buddy into canned gas 4-5 years ago and that was the last carb of his I had apart. Was every spring before that even with 91 for some reason.

That's a Fact if you have run Pump Gas for a longer Time and then you switch to Alkylate Fuel, that we know here. If you run Pump Gas for a short Period and then you switch, there should be no problem.

The issue I have found is equipment that has it's fuel type changed several times back and forth. I have one saw, a auger, a hedge trimmer and a pole saw that have only had vp canned fuel from day one. Have never had a issue. But the saws I would run canned fuel into for summer storage. When I pulled them out in the late fall. Was a 50/50 chance they would need a diaphragm replaced. They would turn crispy.

So I've been telling people to stick with one fuel and don't switch back and forth. I now only run rec fuel through my saws and the canned fuel through my less used equipment.

Steven

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The issue I have found is equipment that has it's fuel type changed several times back and forth. I have one saw, a auger, a hedge trimmer and a pole saw that have only had vp canned fuel from day one. Have never had a issue. But the saws I would run canned fuel into for summer storage. When I pulled them out in the late fall. Was a 50/50 chance they would need a diaphragm replaced. They would turn crispy.

So I've been telling people to stick with one fuel and don't switch back and forth. I now only run rec fuel through my saws and the canned fuel through my less used equipment.

Steven
I have seen crispy hard diaphrams on saws that ran standard mix, is there a chance it was just the age of the diaphrams that resulted in them being crispy.

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chicanics, website has a segment on alkylite fuels
She and her Hubby run a parts & repair shop in Arkansas
and she demonstrates it drawbacks
There are legit no drawbacks. 100% better fuel. You just cant run in a saw which has ran 600 tanks of the garbage from the gas station.

Here if you come into my shop and say you only run the station gas i just give up.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are legit no drawbacks. 100% better fuel. You just cant run in a saw which has ran 600 tanks of the garbage from the gas station.

Here if you come into my shop and say you only run the station gas i just give up.
idk what ur pump gas isn like, but i run strictly 87 octane regular gas. i go through probly 150 gallons of mixed fuel every year. for the last 10-12 years anyway. not one single carb kit in a machine i use regularly. yeah, if u leave ethanol fuel laying around for months, you could encounter problems, but i think its honestly an overblown thing.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
idk what ur pump gas isn like, but i run strictly 87 octane regular gas. i go through probly 150 gallons of mixed fuel every year. for the last 10-12 years anyway. not one single carb kit in a machine i use regularly. yeah, if u leave ethanol fuel laying around for months, you could encounter problems, but i think its honestly an overblown thing.

He's not in the states. Even here our fuel varies greatly. Gas bought in metro areas is horrible for ope. It goes beyond ethanol. Different additive packages and what not. Luckily some of us can get rec fuel in 87 regular and 91-93 premium. But if you cannot get e free, run all the regular 87 you can. So long as it doesn't sit, you will be fine. Saws are forgiving about detonation. Atv's generators and the like are not. I get a good quantity of questionable fuel from the shop. Nobody will take it anymore. So I bring it home and run it through my wood/plow truck. Have to mix it 50/50 with fresh or the knock sensor retards the timing to the max :risas3:

Truth is three months and any E fuel will have dropped greatly in quality. 100% Fact.

Now if you can seal it in a old school steel contaner completely sealed...... You can squeek a year out of it with a enzyme treatment.

Steven

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's not in the states. Even here our fuel varies greatly. Gas bought in metro areas is horrible for ope. It goes beyond ethanol. Different additive packages and what not. Luckily some of us can get rec fuel in 87 regular and 91-93 premium. But if you cannot get e free, run all the regular 87 you can. So long as it doesn't sit, you will be fine. Saws are forgiving about detonation. Atv's generators and the like are not. I get a good quantity of questionable fuel from the shop. Nobody will take it anymore. So I bring it home and run it through my wood/plow truck. Have to mix it 50/50 with fresh or the knock sensor retards the timing to the max :risas3:

Truth is three months and any E fuel will have dropped greatly in quality. 100% Fact.

Now if you can seal it in a old school steel contaner completely sealed...... You can squeek a year out of it with a enzyme treatment.

Steven
yeah, wasnt trying to hate on whatever fuel people run, just that painting all gas that has some ethanol in it as BAD is a little broad. i have fuel around for maybe a few weeks when stuff is slow. often times i fill cans two or three times a week (2.5 gal cans). a few months and that stuff starts to stink tho haha

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah, wasnt trying to hate on whatever fuel people run, just that painting all gas that has some ethanol in it as BAD is a little broad. i have fuel around for maybe a few weeks when stuff is slow. often times i fill cans two or three times a week (2.5 gal cans). a few months and that stuff starts to stink tho haha

Bingo. Have to keep it fresh. Do that and no issues.

Steven

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to fix around 50-100 lawn mowers each spring due to old garbage fuel. We have E10 95Ron. If it was ethanol free it would be fine. But even our 98RON ia E5.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only run ethanol fuel if it’s gonna be a heavy cutting weekend. Then I switch to E-Free for the last few tanks. Never had an issue.

E-Free isn’t available in my area. A few of my buddies keep an empty can with them when they go upstate and grab me E-Free when they can. It’s more of a lack of availability than being cheap thing for me.