Arguments Over Best Gun Oil Preparations

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back on topic, I shoot mild loads in all my guns and never have fouling that plain old Hoppe's won't take care of. I've never seen a need for cleaning the bore down to bare steel unless it is leaded or has baked on copper from hot rifle loads. Of course, with good fitting bullets and mild loads that is mostly a non-issue for me. My lead bullet center-fire rifles only get the bore cleaned every 100 rounds or so.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just used Hoppe's copper solvent and finished up with a couple passes with the bore snake. Clean as can be.

MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hoppe's 9 or brake parts cleaner depending to clean. Whatever is on the bench to lube. I usually use ATF. I can dip the P-08 in anything from chicken fat and turbine oil and it runs just fine. All else I own is much less fussy.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kroil is some good chit for cleaning bores and such. It was expensive....before chit got expensive....Quality synthetic motor oil is good lube....it used to be cheap...i hate politicians...they suck balls

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find little dark gray streaks in the bores of my guns that use lead bullets upon cleaning. I'm thinking they are bits of lead/powder/lube fouling that gets caught on rough spots in the bore. They never get worse or seem to cause problems so I don't worry about them.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
11:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m going to activate this thread again and say that I have had really good results from Gunslick Foaming Bore cleaner. It breaks down layers of lead in my shotguns after deer season very well (some of our slug guns shoot 25-40 slugs a season depending on the amount of drives we do, and it layers up the bore). Also does well in my rifles and pistols to remove copper and powder fouling.

Hoppe’s 9 is always on my bench, and for my varmint rifles that see high volume shooting at PDogs I have BoreTech Cu2 Copper Remover.

As far as oil to protect/lubricate the bores, I use Amsoil Metal Protector.

I otherwise wipe all my guns down with Fluid Film sprayed on a rag cloth and wipe barrels, stocks, and scopes down with it - it provides some serious protection against moisture and the elements.

Cheers!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I switched to the synthetic blend 10w-30IMG_20221215_150909125.jpg
For gun oil

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I switched to the synthetic blend 10w-30View attachment 358235
For gun oil
I have read, if that oil is in large cap container it's made by Exxon. If small cap Warren petroleum makes it. Right or wrong have used it in lawn mower, log splitter, leaf vacuum without an issue.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have read, if that oil is in large cap container it's made by Exxon. If small cap Warren petroleum makes it. Right or wrong have used it in lawn mower, log splitter, leaf vacuum without an issue.
No idea if it's better than gun oil
I shot idpa for over 25 years
I've used most everything out there
Rem oil,hoppes,ballistol,c96,frog lube
A bunch I don't remember
But I remember how stupidly expensive that stuff was getting
But in the 90s I talked to a ipsc guy shooting thousands of rounds a week using motor oil on some kind of 2011
I'm talking a very heavily used pistol
Still looked great
Since then I've never had a issues
But nearly all my guns are parkerized,cera coated or stainless
I have no idea how it would work on very nicely blued guns.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As for gun oil I always use to use Hoppe's. One year I was out hunting and it was below 0. Some doe came out and click, bad primer maybe? Nope cycled through the whole magazine click on every round. There was barely a dent in each primer.

Stripped the bolt de-greased it and have been using rem-oil ever since on all my guns inside and out. It's thin and leaves a teflon coating. I've never had an issue since with freeze ups or rust.

Again just mt 2 cents there may be better stuff out there.