Arguments Over Best Gun Oil Preparations

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use M-Pro 7 oil inside and CLP inside and outside. Also Boeshield T-9 outside only. For cleaning I use Wipeout, Shooters Choice, Bore Tech, Kroil, CLP, and Hoppes #9. I also like to use polymer safe action spray.
Most of the simple problems I have seen come from cheap or bad magazines, lack of cleaning, or too much oil.
Oil on the

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seldom shoot or clean my firearms these days. Once was told wd40 was a no no for firearms. Occasionally I am guilty of using it a bit after drying down a gun that was exposed to rain or snow. Got a couple gun oils I use for a more serious cleaning.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CLP for most chores.
Kroil to get out the hardened crud.
RIG for long term storage.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No one uses used motor oil, like they do in $1000+ chainsaws. Amazing! I use Hoppe's, Tri-Flow, Ballistrol and even have 3 in 1 oil in a metal can.
Yeah, I heard 3-in-1 was great on guns. In all honesty, I use whatever "is around". I have ReelX (for fishing reels, which makes a really mean gun oil) in the kitchen, a can of Hoppes out in the garage, and AeroKroil in my tool box. Does it matter what I use? Hell no, never had a failure.

Last edited:

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, I don't get it. Take my little Sig to the range for a couple 'o boxes and it comes back bone dry inside.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, I don't get it. Take my little Sig to the range for a couple 'o boxes and it comes back bone dry inside.
What was it lubed with prior to shooting?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, but not soaking wet.
What I was asking is what lube were you using at the time that disappeared on the weapon. I used a few things in the past like Rem oil that would flash off after a box of two of cartridges.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I was asking is what lube were you using at the time that disappeared on the weapon. I used a few things in the past like Rem oil that would flash off after a box of two of cartridges.
Yeah, I don't like that stuff. Or anything from Remington lately. The old rifles and shotguns are cool, but their ammo blows. In answer to your question, I think it was Hoppes oil

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a black tip shark in your picture? I just came back from a week of fishing in NC, and we caught 4 and 5 foot sharks all week. Look for lots of shark attacks this coming summer when ever the fisherman are hauling them out in the spring.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I don't like that stuff. Or anything from Remington lately. The old rifles and shotguns are cool, but their ammo blows. In answer to your question, I think it was Hoppes oil
Hoppes oil is not the greatest. I prefer a CLP which meets MIL-PRF-63460F. That would be Break-Free CLP, Radcolube CLP, and G96.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a black tip shark in your picture? I just came back from a week of fishing in NC, and we caught 4 and 5 foot sharks all week. Look for lots of shark attacks this coming summer when ever the fisherman are hauling them out in the spring.
It's a Sandbar shark.
2022-05-08_06-46-08.jpg

Last edited:

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A bench rest shooter told me that he uses a mixture of 2/3's Hoppe's and 1/3 Croil.

He said that you would be amazed at how much crud that it gets out of the bore.

I just use regular Hoppe's and my guns are clean. I decided to try the mixture on a clean gun and I'm a believer. I got alot more crud out.

I am sure there is stuff out there just as good if not better. Just my 2 cents.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A bench rest shooter told me that he uses a mixture of 2/3's Hoppe's and 1/3 Croil.

He said that you would be amazed at how much crud that it gets out of the bore.

I just use regular Hoppe's and my guns are clean. I decided to try the mixture on a clean gun and I'm a believer. I got alot more crud out.

I am sure there is stuff out there just as good if not better. Just my 2 cents.
You'd be surprised how much stuff ( i.e. home remedies ) you have laying around the house to clean your guns. Carb cleaner, mineral spirits, Kroil, ATF off the top of my head. They all work, and you don't have to go out and spend 10 bucks to buy "sucker" syrup - give in to the manufacturers' marketing tricks. BTW, I had an old .45 that was given to me, and it hadn't been cleaned or fired in over 45 years. Just sat in a closet. You know what cleaned it? Kroil bath. I put the barrel in straight Kroil for a couple of weeks. Really cleaned it up good.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use it all the time. I put some CLP on the brass brushes and the fabric area just ahead of the brushes.