Are 395 parts obsolete?

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My friend Travis and new member here @avisagiIs trying to rebuild a 395 for my friend and neighbor. My saw shop was able to get piston and cylinder, it took months. Now waiting on gaskets and seals. Nobody had any of these parts to begin with. Baileys told him gasket sets for 395s are discontinued. Any word or advise Amigos?

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did a 395 earlier this year. Had the same issue and it took 4 months for all the parts to come in. Husky is a wreck right now with parts. You have to order the gaskets separately.
Cool thanks. Even trying to order separate or anything still no go. And husky gives no answer or time frame any advice? Also is it due to it being a 395 and no longer supported. Or just saws in general?

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So still have a question is it due to being a 395?

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not just the 395, it took a month and a half to get a 562 brake flag at my local dealer. Think he mentioned that they lost their computer records for orders and the system was screwed up? But idk about that.
I have had a 346 brake flag on order for about 6 weeks now.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...My saw shop was able to get piston and cylinder, it took months. Now waiting on gaskets and seals. Nobody had any of these parts to begin with. Baileys told him gasket sets for 395s are discontinued. Any word or advise Amigos?
My understanding is Husqvarna implemented one of the Japanese parts delivery systems like Kanban (similar to Just-In-Time) at the same time much of the previous U.S. manufacturing was shifted to China, with the two systems being incompatible. Basically you order the part which gets subtracted from inventory and the computer system adds it to the next the Chinese factory run for those parts, the problem being distributor inventories were depleted during COVID so there was no existing stock to act as a buffer. Distributors are concerned the increased issue rate with the most recent saws coupled with higher saw and parts prices will negatively impact demand for OEM saws and parts driving people into buying aftermarket parts and saws and therefore "not necessarily restocking parts inventories to previous levels." (I think that means "not restocking.")
Aftermarket Example: Holzfforma/Farmertec = Jinhua Farmertec Import&Export Co. Ltd, 2500, Liyu Road, Jinhua City, Zhejiang, China

I'm hearing Husqvarna is trying to adjust the computer variables to add parts to the distribution pipeline therefore shortening delays but it's tricky because they could wind up with parts on the dock but no orders to fill, therefore creating excess inventory and no place to warehouse it.

STIHL shut down at least two U.S. plants due to decreased demand after COVID (actually a near complete stall in demand) amidst a global worker shortage, leading to an unsolvable supply shortage. STIHL has chosen to focus on new saw demand figuring current owners will either wait on parts or buy a new saw, whereas saw unavailability might shift current customers to another manufacturer. So STIHL customers are facing a similar problem as Husqvarna owners for a different reason.

Echo is doing great though, prices of saws and parts are just above cost and Echo is gaining market share. Echo has a great parts program and if we know anything from car manufacturers it's: the money is in after-sale parts purchases (in this case chains, oil, bars, repair parts). Adding icing to the cake, whereas STIHL and Husqvarna have new product development costs, Echo is using twenty-year-old proven technology and doesn't have that overhead to pay for.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My understanding is Husqvarna implemented one of the Japanese parts delivery systems like Kanban (similar to Just-In-Time) at the same time much of the previous U.S. manufacturing was shifted to China, with the two systems being incompatible. Basically you order the part which gets subtracted from inventory and the computer system adds it to the next the Chinese factory run for those parts, the problem being distributor inventories were depleted during COVID so there was no existing stock to act as a buffer. Distributors are concerned the increased issue rate with the most recent saws coupled with higher saw and parts prices will negatively impact demand for OEM saws and parts driving people into buying aftermarket parts and saws and therefore "not necessarily restocking parts inventories to previous levels." (I think that means "not restocking.")
Aftermarket Example: Holzfforma/Farmertec = Jinhua Farmertec Import&Export Co. Ltd, 2500, Liyu Road, Jinhua City, Zhejiang, China

I'm hearing Husqvarna is trying to adjust the computer variables to add parts to the distribution pipeline therefore shortening delays but it's tricky because they could wind up with parts on the dock but no orders to fill, therefore creating excess inventory and no place to warehouse it.

STIHL shut down at least two U.S. plants due to decreased demand after COVID (actually a near complete stall in demand) amidst a global worker shortage, leading to an unsolvable supply shortage. STIHL has chosen to focus on new saw demand figuring current owners will either wait on parts or buy a new saw, whereas saw unavailability might shift current customers to another manufacturer. So STIHL customers are facing a similar problem as Husqvarna owners for a different reason.

Echo is doing great though, prices of saws and parts are just above cost and Echo is gaining market share. Echo has a great parts program and if we know anything from car manufacturers it's: the money is in after-sale parts purchases (in this case chains, oil, bars, repair parts). Adding icing to the cake, whereas STIHL and Husqvarna have new product development costs, Echo is using twenty-year-old proven technology and doesn't have that overhead to pay for.
I don't really know where you heard that, but the first paragraph is incorrect and it sounds like someone is just filling in details with guesses. Gotta love the internet, though. Anyone can type anything and then it can be parroted in perpetuity until people think it's real. This reads like you put whatever you wanted to say into ChatGPT, spiced it up with some generally incorrect agenda and let it spit out a bunch of nonsense. Then you copy and pasted it here.

And no one is more disgusted with Husqvarna in the past couple years than I am.

Anyways:

Sometime in '22 or '23 Husqvarna moved warehouses, they went from a mainly manual picking system to an automated picking system for their main warehouse in South Carolina.

The new automated system had a number of failures early on, as parts orders continued to pile up. So, it's a compounded issue of backorders ('21-'22 funny money excess demand) + the new shipping system in Blytheville failing.

@Normzilla

The parts for the 395 should be supported for sometime into the future. They stated this year they were going to discontinue the production of the 395, but that doesn't mean the parts would go away any time soon, especially because they are still producing the saw for other markets. Moreover, they said they were going to quit production on the 372 numerous times since 2019-2020 but they keep "bringing it back." Honestly, I think it's just a sales tactic. The announcement of discontinuing the 390 and 395 was right in the midst of a huge push for chain sales, OPE discounts, tractor discounts, oil discounts and more. Soon followed by a social media campaign and announcements of it. Then followed by a bunch of phone calls and messages about it. Only time will tell on that, but just like the 372, they are likely some of the most profitable machines to produce. The R&D costs have already been realized a long time ago.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like Duke stated above, it was a supply chain issue.There was a topic of Husqvarna parts shortage and price on Chicanic recently. She was talking to the VP of NA Operations and he stated that they made a big mistake by implementing a change in their supply chain which caused an interruption in the delivery of parts. It was supposed to make it better, but the results were the opposite.

Kelly Dodge

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My friend Travis and new member here @avisagiIs trying to rebuild a 395 for my friend and neighbor. My saw shop was able to get piston and cylinder, it took months. Now waiting on gaskets and seals. Nobody had any of these parts to begin with. Baileys told him gasket sets for 395s are discontinued. Any word or advise Amigos?
I bought a piston cylinder kit for my 394 I converted at Little RedBarn. Online

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything sucks to get parts for I actually work on stihl crap more than anything and seldom does my local 50+ year stihl dealer a very good shop
come through with oem parts i need.
He simply will place orders and fire and forget and be surprised when something shows up.
My Husqvarna dealer tries to get stuff for me but i do better getting parts from
Hl supply or other oem retailers online.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I'd love to read the links, if you have them.

I've read mainly from internal docs.
I respect that. I'm on a phone without a good connection so can't easily look up and link my previous posts, that's where they can be found; when I found info I posted it with the source links.

---
Separate from that, thank you for supplying feedback, insight, and saw parts. Running a business isn't easy and still you've taken the time to help people understand and keep their saws running.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I respect that. I'm on a phone without a good connection so can't easily look up and link my previous posts, that's where they can be found; when I found info I posted it with the source links.

---
Separate from that, thank you for supplying feedback, insight, and saw parts. Running a business isn't easy and still you've taken the time to help people understand and keep their saws running.
I don’t see source links in any of your posts.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything sucks to get parts for I actually work on stihl crap more than anything and seldom does my local 50+ year stihl dealer a very good shop
come through with oem parts i need.
He simply will place orders and fire and forget and be surprised when something shows up.
My Husqvarna dealer tries to get stuff for me but i do better getting parts from
Hl supply or other oem retailers online.
Wow crazy. Good to know and thank u.