huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I first started messing with saws, one of our porters quoted me $100 for bottom end rebuild. I think that’s too cheap, but even doubled….
He was giving you a deal because of multiple port jobs. It’s not much of a job once the carb, cylinder, flywheel, and clutch are already off for port work. If someone were to send a saw for just a rebuild, the cost would’ve been nearly double

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easy saw to start learning how to rebuild on. Pulling it apart is easy, determine parts needed, get a splitter (cheap and can be used on many saws), order parts, get manual from here, take your time putting it back together, help is here if you ask. Something took out that bearing, air leak, lean, bad mix, you need to find cause. Everyone here started with a first rebuild. After rebuild, run it fat and adjust from there.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello Amigos a friend of mine from Church. I will absolutely vouche for. He's as honest as they come. Was cutting with a low hour 395, he bought brand new. 2019 SN 3438799. Other numbers 965 90 27-00 husqvarna ltda San Paulo Brazil. It was cutting normal, and not over use or anything weird. And instantly quit. He was visiting a friend in redding CA. There was a licensed husqvarna dealer, official dealer. They pulled jug, it was under warranty and registered. Found it had a failed crank bearing. This friend stays up on maintenance, sharp chain all that.dealer said oh its gotta be u, you must have over reved it. First I thought aren't they limited? Second he would never mess with carb screws. Something failed. So they told him to come up with 1,300 to repair it. So it's been sitting in his garage. Before I say this, let me let all know, I absolutely love bailey's. But he never got any calls back from them. I told my friend bailey's is legit, I'm sure it's an easy explanation. Once again bailey's you are loved here. And I'm just looking for direction and help by.my experienced Amigos and friends here. I'm not a trash talk guy, and there is nothing I would put down about anything or anyone, regarding this. Just need help, and he needs his saw back. It stopped his cutting. On a ranch he maintains. The have a 84inch oak, needs to be finished. Thanks in advance.
Call and talk to someone important
Manager whatever
Act professional gets you a long way
And explain thoroughly the issue
I've gotten replacement parts for customers at my local Husqvarna dealer this way for saws long out of warranty
Never as big a problem as that though.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Call and talk to someone important
Manager whatever
Act professional gets you a long way
And explain thoroughly the issue
I've gotten replacement parts for customers at my local Husqvarna dealer this way for saws long out of warranty
Never as big a problem as that though.
Thank u. Maybe a good idea. Worth a try

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easy saw to start learning how to rebuild on. Pulling it apart is easy, determine parts needed, get a splitter (cheap and can be used on many saws), order parts, get manual from here, take your time putting it back together, help is here if you ask. Something took out that bearing, air leak, lean, bad mix, you need to find cause. Everyone here started with a first rebuild. After rebuild, run it fat and adjust from there.
Thank u

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think many of these dealers see “can of worms” and waive the white flag immediately. Conversely, they see “take candy from baby” (replaced fuel and air filters, adjusted carb $99.95) repairs and gallop on down the road to the bank.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A dealer said 556.00 to rebuild a Stihl 291
He brought it to me
I couldn't find another cylinder at the time
So he said screw it
And bought 2 new echos

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

An excellent post.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A dealer said 556.00 to rebuild a Stihl 291
He brought it to me
I couldn't find another cylinder at the time
So he said screw it
And bought 2 new echos
I rebuilt a friend’s husky…450? I think a while back. Long of a pain in the butt, and couldn’t find a cyl for it because they are disposable. Finally did but got ripped off by some kid on FB in the process. 266s much easier. :D

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He was giving you a deal because of multiple port jobs. It’s not much of a job once the carb, cylinder, flywheel, and clutch are already off for port work. If someone were to send a saw for just a rebuild, the cost would’ve been nearly double
makes sense…other thing is I don’t know what you guys’ hourly rate is vs. a shop, but I’m sure it’s less. Customer gets a lot better deal using a forum builder vs. most shops IMO. Someone who enjoys and cares about their job vs. someone who is just an employee. Years ago I called about my 395 and had the lady on the phone…I could hear the guy in the background complaining about how it needed this and that and the other and I should just buy a new saw. My employees do the same. Fixing it was half the cost of new so I had them fix it…and then fixed it again myself later…now for the second time.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've done a *s-wordload of bottom end rebuilds for 150.00 if included in the porting job.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of some shops that will not replace the top end unless the bottom end is refreshed at the same time.
For the price asked I suspect that they are crazy busy and that is one way to deter more work flow coming in, without flat out refusing it.
With new stocks being low, lots of folks are looking at repairs over replacement these days to keep them going.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 395 melted a piston years ago when I let my guys use it. Shop rebuilt it. Sat for years. Milled with it a bit but didn’t abuse it. Big end of crank got loose, it’s black as if from heat.I suspect the shop should have replaced it.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think many of these dealers see “can of worms” and waive the white flag immediately. Conversely, they see “take candy from baby” (replaced fuel and air filters, adjusted carb $99.95) repairs and gallop on down the road to the bank.
I agree, sad some are getting that way.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of some shops that will not replace the top end unless the bottom end is refreshed at the same time.
For the price asked I suspect that they are crazy busy and that is one way to deter more work flow coming in, without flat out refusing it.
With new stocks being low, lots of folks are looking at repairs over replacement these days to keep them going.
Good points