661 question of the day !!!

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should look like this Angelo, the earlier version has a bellows in the middle, and within the bellows are a couple of rubber stiffeners that can become dislodged and create some funny running characteristics.View attachment 196091

If you’d be so kind as to snatch a picture of the coil so I can see the numbers like so ....... View attachment 196092

We can see about getting her to idle !
What you said about the rubber stiffener, i wonder if that's what happened to the first 661 I had. I had every trouble imaginable. The dealer ended up sending the saw to stihl and giving me a new one. Never heard anything back about it.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or 2......

The new one (white) is made with stainless steel components rather than nylon. It seems to last. But.....if my memory is to be trusted, it needs the correct coil and fuel filter to work correctly. I'm lucky to have a dealer who helps me with upgrades on these newer models. If I have a problem saw, he gets me parts to upgrade under warranty in most cases. Of course, I buy a hell of a lot of saws.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new one (white) is made with stainless steel components rather than nylon. It seems to last. But.....if my memory is to be trusted, it needs the correct coil and fuel filter to work correctly. I'm lucky to have a dealer who helps me with upgrades on these newer models. If I have a problem saw, he gets me parts to upgrade under warranty in most cases. Of course, I buy a hell of a lot of saws.
All this silly *s-word on a chainsaw that gets beat through the woods and used like a rented mule if a logger has it. I personally only know 1logger that's still using 661s. Everyone else switched to huskys.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All this silly *s-word on a chainsaw that gets beat through the woods and used like a rented mule if a logger has it. I personally only know 1logger that's still using 661s. Everyone else switched to huskys.

Well......that's one solution.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What you are describing are symptoms of a bad solenoid. I'd get a new one.....
got two coming.

always kept the black spares on hand and its always been the solenoid in the past.
the new "white"one was $100+ so I had to search some and Ryan @sawmikaze hooked me up with some " repair" kits numbers that my dealer never heard of or was able to find... :(

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious. Separate and apart from the solenoids, is their ever a time that you have to kit the mtronic carbs? Diaphragms, etc...

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gives you that warm fuzzy feeling when you go into dealership and educate them on their products. lol
my guys are pretty good. I try not to be a dick( not easy as it is genetic with me) and understand its a "job" to them and a hobby to me. So I kindda care more...its funny when I tell them how cool it was to run the 462 and the 500i side by side, and they look at me and say "what saws ?" ..."oh we got a few buddies in Europe that send new stuff to is in the states..." and they get the puzzled dog ears look ...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got two coming.

always kept the black spares on hand and its always been the solenoid in the past.
the new "white"one was $100+ so I had to search some and Ryan @sawmikaze hooked me up with some " repair" kits numbers that my dealer never heard of or was able to find... :(

All the black solenoids are the same. One from an MS261 will work fine on a 661.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just curious. Separate and apart from the solenoids, is their ever a time that you have to kit the mtronic carbs? Diaphragms, etc...
jeff. any carb should be taken down and cleaned periodically as saw fines will pass through almost any filter. what that period is...well that seems to be operator mandated....like just after the saw stops operating seems to be the most common time period.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All the black solenoids are the same. One from an MS261 will work fine on a 661.
roger that sir...I did swap a 'known" bad one just for chits and giggles and the problem stayed with saw. but the former issue did not stay with solenoid. ( former issue-known black solenoid was a non-start)

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have the V3
Did you do the V3 reset ?

Recap:
1. Place lever to start and let run 30-45 seconds
2. Hit wide open throttle and hold
3. RPM's will vary, increasing.
4. Once rpm's drop release throttle and turn off.
Completed !

If saw doesnt start and run properly after this procedure, I'd do as Randy suggested and swap the solenoid

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 196103
Problem saw. Black solenoid originally. Since replaced with white .
View attachment 196104
White coil donor. Note. Donor white coil is from blown top end. Do not believe related to saw. Believe operator caused death.

Which one gives you the problems now? The 4701 control unit with white solenoid valve? If yes, you have the wrong configuration. Please read here:

http://opeforum.com/threads/stihl-solenoid-fuel-filter-and-coil-info-called-stihl-march-2019.16083/

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You have the V3
Did you do the V3 reset ?

Recap:
1. Place lever to start and let run 30-45 seconds
2. Hit wide open throttle and hold
3. RPM's will vary, increasing.
4. Once rpm's drop release throttle and turn off.
Completed !

If saw doesnt start and run properly after this procedure, I'd do as Randy suggested and swap the solenoid
saw will not run for 30 sec on "start" ...hence the question of if it can be reset at dealer . :(
But thanks Kev. I'll try to swap v3 coil to match v3 solenoid for kicks over the weekend.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
saw will not run for 30 sec on "start" ...hence the question of if it can be reset at dealer . :(
But thanks Kev. I'll try to swap v3 coil to match v3 solenoid for kicks over the weekend.

That's because the solenoid is bad and flooding it out. It's really a simple system......