Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
3:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if it were me...

- Id make sure I had a "straight" intake boot. see attached pic. and make sure it's on. I've done it where it's loose...taken these 661s apart so many times.

- I'd check the spark screen wasn't clogged up and then put a wider weave screen in.

- I'd take the top plate and bottom plate off the carb and just clean up the insides a little.

- I'd just get a kit (v3 coil, white solenoid, orange fuel filter) - 1144 007 1801. dealer is apprx $50. Stihl doesn't show a retail price. Reality is it should be covered under the emissions warranty. If you want to fight that battle.
anyway I'd put that new coil, solenoid and filter in. Don't even bother fcking with other stuff. Just get the kit, replace all 3 and be done with it. Run the CALIBRATION. Reset is for 4700c, 4700d, 4700e 4701a coils. v3 coil = 4702a and v3 = CALIBRATION NOT RESET. The coil determines calibration or reset not the solenoid.

- I'd check the indexing of the spark plug. I'm anal. I'd replace spark plug with new NGK.

replace coil -

replae solenoid

replace fuel filter

Attachments

• 661 Intake Boot-L.jpg
    661 Intake Boot-L.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 16

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Update.... Long story short....new solenoid was the fix. Finally got a "new" white solenoid with the upgraded "kit"( red filter, 4704 coil and white solenoid) I replaced them one at a time (bottom up- filter, coil, solenoid) to see if one was the issue and the last installed (white solenoid) let it idle and then. "Reset"

Thanks all.

Frankly

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
if it were me...

- Id make sure I had a "straight" intake boot. see attached pic. and make sure it's on. I've done it where it's loose...taken these 661s apart so many times.

- I'd check the spark screen wasn't clogged up and then put a wider weave screen in.

- I'd take the top plate and bottom plate off the carb and just clean up the insides a little.

- I'd just get a kit (v3 coil, white solenoid, orange fuel filter) - 1144 007 1801. dealer is apprx $50. Stihl doesn't show a retail price. Reality is it should be covered under the emissions warranty. If you want to fight that battle.
anyway I'd put that new coil, solenoid and filter in. Don't even bother fcking with other stuff. Just get the kit, replace all 3 and be done with it. Run the CALIBRATION. Reset is for 4700c, 4700d, 4700e 4701a coils. v3 coil = 4702a and v3 = CALIBRATION NOT RESET. The coil determines calibration or reset not the solenoid.

- I'd check the indexing of the spark plug. I'm anal. I'd replace spark plug with new NGK.

replace coil -

replae solenoid

replace fuel filter

This is the direct answer I have been seeking. The repair kit? Where can I order it from? No Stihl Dealers in Michigan have it? A google search shows o vendors? Got $ / need kit = lets make a video?

Creaky limb tree care

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I have learnt from my own personal experience of fixing these things is normally, if a Husqvarna mtronic saw fails to tickover its a compression issue and if a Stihl mtronic saw fails to tickover its a solenoid issue.