LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been reading a bit about these having a break in period programmed into them and a fail safe limp mode. Maybe I am just running it too hard? After all, I will be topping it off for its 6th tank likely tonight. With all the stops I made yesterday it didn't flinch either.

When it runs good it is a true pleasure to behold. I was letting an old timer make a couple cuts with it yesterday (I think he runs an old 350) and the grin it brought to his face said it all .....

Purchasing Dealer is Meadow Farm Equipment in Lee MA. I would highly recommend them. I got my 550xp through him as well and they have been great to work with.

no way you’re running it too hard. I went through two gallons of fuel my first weekend with it, even letting it idle while moving things around.

Posting to follow thread and see how this develops.

Matt L

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, i just ran it for 50 minutes pretty hard bucking up some beach, mulberry, pine, maple and ash. Only shut it off to tighten the chain up a bit and it fired right back up. Ran until the tank was almost empty then bogged a bit. I leveled it out and revved through it and then cut cookies out of some huge mulberry keeping it level until i ran it out of gas. It outworked me today. That was probably its 5th or 6th tank. A coworker has an ash tree that needs to be cut up so that will likely be its next workout. It needs a good sharpening now too. Ran it probably a lot duller than i should have

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t run it until you figure out the issue imho. You could risk burning it up and have a 850$ paperweight. It’s fustrating when a saw doesn’t work right, but it’s even more frustration to burn it up.

Matt L

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You might be right. It will be at least a couple weeks until i will have the weekend day available to go cut up that ash tree and my 550xp needs to go in for a leaky tank anyway, so may as well just take them both. I will give my servicing dealer a call tomorrow and see what he thinks.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 572 does in fact have a limp mode that kicks in if the saw gets too hot or if you have other issues, like the saw running out of fuel, bad fuel, clogged filter and so on. This protects the saw from burning up and it may be what's going on here.

Last edited:

Matt L

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use only recreation fuel that is always pretty fresh and either a premium or Husky 2 cycle oil on all my saws.

But Andy may be on to something with the limp because of fuel supply. Yesterday when I opened the tank after running it dry there was no pop or pressure of any kind. Not like it always did before. Before even if I only used half a tank there would be quite a bit of pressure in the tank when I opened it. Calling my local dealer in a couple hours to see what they think.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running auto-tune saws dry is not a good idea, as the system will try to compensate so the fuel settings go way out.
I normally agree, but I’ve never really had a problem with the auto tune on the 572 doing that. The 441 I had here it definitely messed with the mtronic running out of fuel. Took a couple cuts to get its act together, then it seemed like it was okay. I think the autotune on the 572 adjusts quicker probably.

Last edited:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running auto-tune saws dry is not a good idea, as the system will try to compensate so the fuel settings go way out.

Can also generate an error code as the carb is sucking air through the fuel filter which is mostly hanging in air. The saw compensates by richening up the hi fuel setting, as Andre states. Excessive idling is not all that great either, cause that could affect the low settings. These settings will return to normal with normal use, so it's not a big deal. Quick solution is plugging it in at the dealer and doing a reset. I'd do that before assuming there's something major going on.

Matt L

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It actually has run a bit more consistent if i let it idle a bit more often, but at only 6 tanks of fuel could just be coincidental.

Just dropped it off at my local servicing dealer. They said by what i described it sounds like a possible coil issue. They are going to plug it in and check things out and let me know.

My 550xp is also getting its tank fixed under warranty.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes me wonder how one would act if it was missing a couple of transfer cover screws and could provide a variable air leak as it heated up.;)

Seriously the most suspicious thing you said is that it used to hold pressure in the tank and you could hear it escape, and now it doesn't. It "sounds" like a fuel system issue. If so, back to the primer bulb or vent or lines. I looked at the ipl and it appears the vent has a hose on it you could get pinched.

Coils don't cause tanks to have different pressures.

Matt L

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Seriously the most suspicious thing you said is that it used to hold pressure in the tank and you could hear it escape, and now it doesn't. It "sounds" like a fuel system issue. If so, back to the primer bulb or vent or lines. I looked at the ipl and it appears the vent has a hose on it you could get pinched.

Coils don't cause tanks to have different pressures.

"Used to" might be a bit inaccurate of a description. I just noticed that it did not appear to have as much pressure when I opened the cap after running it dry. But honestly, it may just not have had enough fuel left in it to spray some out a bit the way it did before.

Last edited:

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgive my ignorance. 5xx saws must have a one way vent? I think the only husky I found a duckbill in was a 137 maybe a 240. It was something small.