Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was a updated version of the 288xp , in between the 385 and 395 ,
I had a 288 but it was hard to compare it to much as I bought it used and it was already beat to snot. I do know folks like the 288 and it still available outside North America. That says a lot for it's quality.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 288 but it was hard to compare it to much as I bought it used and it was already beat to snot. I do know folks like the 288 and it still available outside North America. That says a lot for it's quality.
They are great old school saws ,

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a chance to get the top end off this morning. I think plug looks good. Wash is good. No noticeable bearing issues.
I'll clean it up and see if the vibration is still there.

Is the intake side schmeered as well? Usually low or no mix oil will wreck both sides. Exhaust only is typically a lean seize. Could be something else though. Looks like the corner of the skirt dug into the exhaust side.
Sweet wash pattern. Hope she cleans up. Hyway plating is usually very durable.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have used a good bit of Husky & Echo stuff out of cans with no issue for almost ten years. Anecdotal. I roll my own as well, but do use the canned stuff if I can catch a deal on it. Trimers, pole saw and blower always fueled last time of season with the premixed stuff. I got nothing bad to say about it other than the price. My tools seem to love it.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have been selling VP and Echo canned fuel for 10+ years without a hitch. I did once have an Echo CS-590 come in badly scored while running Trufuel. However, we had not sold the saw so it's possible it was running too lean for the ham-fisted operators. If everyone ran canned fuel, I would nearly be out of a job. Even if every consumer was guaranteed to buy an improperly mixed can of premix in their lifetime, it would probably still be worth it because of the decrease in fuel system repair bills. And I have more confidence that a good brand of premix can mix oil right than some random homeowner.

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could 1 tank of Stihl 50 to 1 oil cause a perfectly good running (almost new saw) to seize up?
My saw was running excellent as of this morning. Was doing some big tree work for a company and he said he had a can of stihl premix 93. Damnit I know better than to not bring my own fuel but only had a few trees to buck up. Last Thursday I topped it off with the premix and burned most of a tank. Today I topped it off with the premix again and made about 8 cuts in some 16 inch cedar.
Next I pushed a 50 inch fir over and proceeded to buck it at the stump.
When I started the saw I felt a vibration at idle that was new but went away with a little throttle. Half way through the first cut it died and is locked up solid.
I always run 40 to 1 VP and never had issues.
This saw has about 2 gallons through it so barely broke in.
Could it be the 50 to 1 premix?
Did you shake up the can of fuel before filling the saw? Possible the oil was separated from the fuel from settling and you got mostly gas in your saw ?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
40:1 for all chainsaws, imo. The 50:1 BS is just the government morons’ way to help end oil.
Agree 100% !
Mine was too....like hammered dog potty.
IMG_20240221_004208418.jpg
They are great old school saws ,
With just minor porting I'm impressed what it'll do with a 28" and 8pin.

Jake Dykstra

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have been selling VP and Echo canned fuel for 10+ years without a hitch. I did once have an Echo CS-590 come in badly scored while running Trufuel. However, we had not sold the saw so it's possible it was running too lean for the ham-fisted operators. If everyone ran canned fuel, I would nearly be out of a job. Even if every consumer was guaranteed to buy an improperly mixed can of premix in their lifetime, it would probably still be worth it because of the decrease in fuel system repair bills. And I have more confidence that a good brand of premix can mix oil right than some random homeowner.
I agree 💯. If the VP 40:1 was $10 per gallon I'd never mix my own fuel again.
I've burned hundreds of gallons of VP race fuels over the years and found it to be very consistent.

Jake Dykstra

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the intake side schmeered as well? Usually low or no mix oil will wreck both sides. Exhaust only is typically a lean seize. Could be something else though. Looks like the corner of the skirt dug into the exhaust side.
Sweet wash pattern. Hope she cleans up. Hyway plating is usually very durable.
No noticeable signs of leaning out before it seized. Hard to here it on the top as its on the limiter at wot no load. Still waiting on unlimited coils from the dealer. Sounded fine off idle. Only oddity was the vibration at idle.