• Total voters

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally you should thin out some mini Mac’s first! Lol it s tuff call, I haven’t ran any good hybrids or ported 372’s, I know I haven’t lived. I think a good builder could get good power out of both, the 44/46 seem to be peakier, but I also haven’t ran a nasty 372. It also seems to Matter what you prefer the feel off too. And maybe what other saws in the family you have to complement it, if you have a 390, I would keep the 372, some things like drums and clutch covers can interchange and bar interchange is nice. Same for thr Stihl, is you have an 036 or 066 then the hybrid makes sense too

Last edited:

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally you should thin out some mini Mac’s first! Lol it s tuff call, I haven’t ran any good hybrids or ported 372’s, I know I haven’t lived. I think a good builder could get good power out of both, the 44/46 seem to be peakier, but I also haven’t ran a nasty 372. It also seems to Matter what you prefer the feel off too. And maybe what other saws in the family you have to complement it, if you have a 390, I would keep the 372, some things like drums and clutch covers can interchange and bar interchange is nice. Same for thr Stihl, is you have an 036 or 066 then the hybrid makes sense too
The only other mag-case Stihl I have is an 026, but my dad has a 372 and my brother has a 365SP and another XPW so there is that. Oh yeah, I put my only Mini Mac out at the curb yesterday once I pulled the flywheel and recoil pulley off so I can update my PM6.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And, my keeper fleet is a 562, 272, 181, 2100 x 2, and my family only runs Husky saws so for b/c swapping I’d stick with D009 mounts.

Where's the fun in that? A guy needs at least 4 different bar mount saws, various pitch and guage mixed in just to add to the fin in figuring out exactly which chain fits which bar on which saw. Keeps it interesting.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where's the fun in that? A guy needs at least 4 different bar mount saws, various pitch and gauge mixed in just to add to the fin in figuring out exactly which chain fits which bar on which saw. Keeps it interesting.
I had that. D176, D196, D009, D025, 3002, 0.050 x .325 and .354 and 3/8, 0.058 x .354 and .404, 0.063 x .325 and 3/8 and .404 and 1/2 and 9/16, 3/4 x 0.080, a huge oddball 1 7/16 chain I was gifted.... Yeah, I've had a few gauges and pitches. At one point I had 20-30 bars without saws and 3 five gallon buckets full of mystery chains, but I've started sorting it out and simplifying. My 056's and maybe an 066 will be the only Stihl saws larger than an 026 that I'm planning on keeping.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A ported XPW is typically stronger than a ported 44/46 hybrid. I’ve sold 2 44/46 Hybrids, but kept my 2175. It’s not about rarity or anything, some saws just feel uniquely good. I’m not a fan of the 51.4 platform, but that saw makes power and somehow I feel more connected to it.

Wiseco pistons are available for XPW. Jugs are increasingly rare. Basically all other parts of the saw are abundant and cheaper than Stihl.

The 46 hybrid is super cool though. Excellent power:weight, the guaranteed personal touch of a builder and slightly better handling. Mine just didn’t fit me exactly right.

Take them each into the woods for a day. You’ll know which one you like better. You’ve got enough saws the rest doesn’t matter.

Or keep them both!

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i will add that it also has an 8 pin rim for faster chain speed and i cut down an old oak tree that had 64" trunk and the main support limbs of that tree were about 28 - 30 inches and i had the bar buried for most of the cuts. I was in another state and didnt have access to a grinder for my chains so i used stock oregon grind with the rakers filed down to where i like them and it cut pretty fast considering. it probably would have cut faster with my grind and probably would have cut faster with a 7 pin but i forgot to take the 7 pin with me as i shipped my saws and climbing gear ahead of time.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has @Red97 put this debate to rest yet? Think a stock 372oe is stronger than 372xpw 51.4mm. IMHO. Yes, I have owned and cut with more than one of each.
What debate? I happened to find a builder XPW before I found a 50mm builder, and I want to see if the 372 I have is better than the hybrid. So far I think the 372 has the edge, but as soon as I get a few recoil parts I’ll run the hybrid against the 372 and that will be the final determining factor.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Such "debate" could be settled by whichever saw feels better in the hands of the person using it. Gyppo loggen, for instance, was a 8 month a year gig for me, due to spring breakup season here in ideeeho. A guy can get rusty on his felling cuts and aim after being idle for 4 months. The feel of the Stihl handles, felling sights and such was just more natural for me to get into rhythm and lay timber out the way it needs. With the huskys, especially 372 family, I find myself constantly pulling my trees to the right, about 20 feet or so at the top. I could correct this, but when the brain gets in a groove and yer rocken along putten trees on the ground, I would forget and start Pullen them to the right again. It always takes a week of felling with a husky for me to be confident with my aim when cutting trees near lines or houses. A Stihl, I can just grab and go.
That said, I am a die hard Husqvarna fan for life!

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sold a CFB 046 and a 2175 WWS I believe and kept the CFB 2171 and CFB 460.
All 4 saws were a different feel.
2175 was a WC setup, which I don’t care for cutting hardwood so I sold the first two to fund the 500i.
The 2171 will always be a favourite and the 500i has now taken the place of the 460.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tree Sling’r 372XPW vs MS460:

The 372 I ran from him was nasty. His MS460 was great.

I really like the way a 440 handles. Moreso than the Husqvarna, but the 372 feels better with a long bar with its handles being farther apart, and the Husqvarna 3/4 wrap is much nicer on the PTO side. And Jasha’s XPW was faster, so I’ll take it.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO, this choice is in part your personal preference, and in part how the saws have been ported.

The Husky will run smoother and have better air filtration.

The Stihl will be lighter and have better power to weight. Various people will have a preference for the feel of one or the other.

As stated, many of the Hybrids can be peaky with the power, and they like high RPMs, but some of them have real good grunt. (This is partly due to the smaller case volume with the larger cylinder). The porting of the lower transfers can but used to modify this.

My MOFO Hybrid recently pulled a 28" B+C fully buried in dead, dry Ash even with the dogs dug in, and even when cutting the angle on the notch. I have no doubt it would pull a 32" no problem.

I also ran 4 Hybrids belonging to other folks at a GTG not too long ago. They all cut well, but one seemed to have noticeably more torque than the others.

Like I said, part of it will be personal preference, and part of it may be the porting. What is impressive with a 20" bar may not be as impressive with a 32".

Also, selling both to get a ported 500i may not be a bad idea! Better power to weight than either of the above, and smoother operation than the Hybrid!

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO, this choice is in part your personal preference, and in part how the saws have been ported.

The Husky will run smoother and have better air filtration.

The Stihl will be lighter and have better power to weight. Various people will have a preference for the feel of one or the other.

As stated, many of the Hybrids can be peaky with the power, and they like high RPMs, but some of them have real good grunt. (This is partly due to the smaller case volume with the larger cylinder). The porting of the lower transfers can but used to modify this.

My MOFO Hybrid recently pulled a 28" B+C fully buried in dead, dry Ash even with the dogs dug in, and even when cutting the angle on the notch. I have no doubt it would pull a 32" no problem.

I also ran 4 Hybrids belonging to other folks at a GTG not too long ago. They all cut well, but one seemed to have noticeably more torque than the others.

Like I said, part of it will be personal preference, and part of it may be the porting. What is impressive with a 20" bar may not be as impressive with a 32".

Also, selling both to get a ported 500i may not be a bad idea! Better power to weight than either of the above, and smoother operation than the Hybrid!
Local folks are trying to sell 500i's for 2500 new, used ones are getting 1800 to 1900. Crazy I tell you