.325 Stihl chain?

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got some 18" 325 Stihl 23RS chain for my 550xp.. couldn't find any 23RS-Pro, been a few months since I bought it and haven't used it yet (been running Oregon 72nk semi-chisel w/safety bumpers) I didn't realize until now that the RS-pro was narrow-kerf and the RS was "regular kerf" the chain was $28.
I said that to ask: is the 23RS gonna work? Seems to fit and spin right and really doesn't look any wider than the Oregon chain, running a 18" Oregon Speedcut bar.. I haven't taken it out to try it yet and don't have any wood to put it into at the moment but was planning to try it on a job tomorrow.. any reason to worry?
They went and made things all complicated with this 325/325NK stuff and since all the chain manufacturers seem to wanna call them different names and use different terms it just makes it even more frustrating
Here some RSPro if ur interested, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2351255403...lx6FfZ4S9a&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey that is exactly the seller/item I bought! It says it's 23RS in the listing which is what got me wondering seeing this thread about the RS / RS-Pro.
Yea , if you look at pic of spool it says RS Pro , I bought a couple chains and its the Pro ,IMG_3199.png

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea , if you look at pic of spool it says RS Pro , I bought a couple chains and its the Pro ,View attachment 421362
Yeah I did notice that, but when you get it it's just in the small box and has 23RS wrote on it so it caused a bit of confusion. Thanks! At least now I know I'm good for the job tomorrow. It looks like awesome chain btw, can't wait to see how it cuts vs my own semi-chisel grind.

But just out of curiosity: what would be a potential problem from running standard chain on a narrow-kerf bar? Not fitting inside the clutch cover? I'd think not, as you can run 3/8 with a sprocket/ bar swap.. I can't really think of any potential problems?

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I did notice that, but when you get it it's just in the small box and has 23RS wrote on it so it caused a bit of confusion. Thanks! At least now I know I'm good for the job tomorrow. It looks like awesome chain btw, can't wait to see how it cuts vs my own semi-chisel grind.

But just out of curiosity: what would be a potential problem from running standard chain on a narrow-kerf bar? Not fitting inside the clutch cover? I'd think not, as you can run 3/8 with a sprocket/ bar swap.. I can't really think of any potential problems?
Don’t think you’ll have any issues, Stihl just gives you standard box’s for loops of chain, when you buy a reel , then just label what it is ,