Trader history (0)

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense but they’re super annoying to mount chains and bars onto.

If working properly there should be minimal heat created as the clutch shouldn’t be slipping and creating heat or am I thinking about this incorrectly?
Super annoying? I mean, maybe the first five times if you're a millennial. After that it's pretty basic.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
4:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Super annoying? I mean, maybe the first five times if you're a millennial. After that it's pretty basic.
Super may be a bit far but I'm sticking to the annoying part when the inboard Stihl design is a lot faster.

I’ve put chains on and off I dunno, a few hundred times, on 041 and 041S and either haven’t figured it out or am just plain ol’ stubborn and don’t like something because I don’t like it 🤷‍♂️

I will say though that that 562XP Mark II was absolutely the smoothest saw I’ve ever held. My carpal tunnel would love running that VS my older Stihls. I may be able to tolerate a more difficult chain/bar mounting process if that flares up less.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Super may be a bit far but I'm sticking to the annoying part when the inboard Stihl design is a lot faster.

I’ve put chains on and off I dunno, a few hundred times, on 041 and 041S and either haven’t figured it out or am just plain ol’ stubborn and don’t like something because I don’t like it 🤷‍♂️

I will say though that that 562XP Mark II was absolutely the smoothest saw I’ve ever held. My carpal tunnel would love running that VS my older Stihls. I may be able to tolerate a more difficult chain/bar mounting process if that flares up less.
Try a Dolmar 6100

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be in the minority here but the outboard clutches annoy the crap out of me. My 041 and 041S have outboard clutches and I hate them. The newer Stihl stuff is so much easier to mount chains and replace sprockets and such.

What is the draw of an outboard clutch?
I agree with ease of bar/chain mounting, but I don't mind the outboard there.

Outboard clutch dissipates heat way better, whereas inboard clutches dissipate less heat.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If working properly there should be minimal heat created as the clutch shouldn’t be slipping and creating heat or am I thinking about this incorrectly?
There's still increased heat under normal operation. Surface area.

But you also have a slimmer body of a saw with the inboard, which also had perks at times.

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think it's more about all the sawdust/bar oil gunk that gets packed in around the break band. On an outboard clutch, it's out in the cover away from the crankcase.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be in the minority here but the outboard clutches annoy the crap out of me. My 041 and 041S have outboard clutches and I hate them. The newer Stihl stuff is so much easier to mount chains and replace sprockets and such.
I agree the outboard clutches are a pain when you need to install a bar/chain or rim sprocket, but it is what it is. I guess what matters is the engine goes vroom and the saw cuts wood.

Another annoying thing is the amount of different clutch removal tools needed to get all of the different clutch types off, I think I am up to 5 or 6 now (just from what I have worked on) with my latest one being the clutch removal wrench for an 075. Some times you can get by with just a hammer and flathead screwdriver, but that doesn't seem to work well for me.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would look at it like a heat sink, with more surface area exposed it can shed heat faster than those inboard clutches like on a MS 271/391 type. I have seen many of these with inboard clutches have melted plastic around the clutch area because of the heat they can generate if something (sticks, twigs, sawdust and oil) is causing the chain brake spring to touch the clutch while running and it all transfers to the plastic and then just compounds from there until failure of the needle bearing and other plastic parts. With these (plastic cases), if the plastic around the clutch melts, if you can't dremel the melted plastic away enough or leave enough integrity, the case will need to be replaced. I have two MS 271s that will need new cases due to this happening.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys missed one of my favorite benefits of the outboard clutch, handling.
The 550 is the best handling 50cc saw ever made, and the clutch has much to do with that.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few Millennial Minnesota farmers seem to do well and I believe @jblnut is one of them.

I have a few buddies out in Zach’s area and they all say he’s a great guy and exactly the same as before his YouTube stuff, just with nicer machinery now lol. He’s admitted that their farm wouldn’t have advanced near as fast without the money and opportunities his YouTube channels have brought into his world.

People like to think having a lot of money wouldn’t change them but it would absolutely change me. In a heartbeat I’d get the 886 restored to its former glory and show it off to everyone I know !! It’s the first tractor Pops purchased brand new and it’ll be around as long as I have a say about it. Other than paying off debt I can’t think of very many things I’d want changed. Life is pretty good around here when you step back and look from the outside in.
IMG_2285.jpeg

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys missed one of my favorite benefits of the outboard clutch, handling.
The 550 is the best handling 50cc saw ever made, and the clutch has much to do with that.
Oh boy I read that and giggled. My mind jumped to the age old saying, “I prefer my saws like I prefer my women, with inboard clutches”

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a few buddies out in Zach’s area and they all say he’s a great guy and exactly the same as before his YouTube stuff, just with nicer machinery now lol. He’s admitted that their farm wouldn’t have advanced near as fast without the money and opportunities his YouTube channels have brought into his world.

People like to think having a lot of money wouldn’t change them but it would absolutely change me. In a heartbeat I’d get the 886 restored to its former glory and show it off to everyone I know !! It’s the first tractor Pops purchased brand new and it’ll be around as long as I have a say about it. Other than paying off debt I can’t think of very many things I’d want changed. Life is pretty good around here when you step back and look from the outside in.

Well there is no doubt it just changes folks and many times for the worst. There is a situation going on right now in the community that will end in a total chit slinging spat. Hopefully it does not end like Rodney Heemstra and Tom Lyon.

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh boy I read that and giggled. My mind jumped to the age old saying, “I prefer my saws like I prefer my women, with inboard clutches”
Wait til you run it, you may want to get rid of those stihls 🤣. At least the more modern stihls have a more ergonomic top handlebar angle, I find it helps me a lot when limbing and felling, not a big deal when bucking or the saws are under 10lbs. Lately I've been running the heck out of my stihls, gotta give them some love too, I like them all :). Give me a saw with a sharp chain and full of fluids(same way i like my women lol), and I'm ready to go; at least for a tank depending on the saw ;).

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wait til you run it, you may want to get rid of those stihls 🤣. At least the more modern stihls have a more ergonomic top handlebar angle, I find it helps me a lot when limbing and felling, not a big deal when bucking or the saws are under 10lbs. Lately I've been running the heck out of my stihls, gotta give them some love too, I like them all :). Give me a saw with a sharp chain and full of fluids(same way i like my women lol), and I'm ready to go; at least for a tank depending on the saw ;).

I bet ole John Wayne Bobbitt wishes Lorena would not have had a sharp knife......

She left him low on fluids

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet ole John Wayne Bobbitt wishes Lorena would not have had a sharp knife......

She left him low on fluids
I come to OPE for the collective knowledge but I stick around for this type of content.

Thanks Bill 😁