$1000 to drop this Shagbark Hickory?

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That seems pretty high. Our “show up” minimum is $375 and that buys you 3 people for an hour and a chipper. I understand driving costs could be a lot more and infrequent work means your carrying costs for longer between jobs, but I still think $700 would cover everything and then some.
Heck I would drop that sucker for travel expenses and the rights to video for YT. :susurro: :meparto::squezer:

David Boyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've dropped a lot of trees on my ~40 acres the last 11 years I've lived here. Only had one that hung and didn't go the way I wanted it to.

I'm not taking a chance on my house.
that's the bottom line

Pretty much anybody can cut a tree down if there's no chance of it hitting anything
If you aren't very sure of that and it's in range of your house, 1000 bucks is cheap

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My feeling as well.

I’ve resorted to using cable on trees and pulling with a bobcat after getting it as high as possible. Slingshot or extension ladder. Make a slip loop with some clamps. It’s pretty foolproof provided you stay on it with tension and have a helper.

If it’s next to and over a house, $1k sounds reasonable for a climber and helpers to drop it piece by piece. To notch and drop it, it seems overpriced.

Pulling on just the top of a tree isn't a good idea, I pull on as much of the tree as I can. I try to pull on as much of the spar as I can and either tie a clove hitch or a bowline around it.

I'd bid it for 5-700 dollars. I'm the one taking the risk. 1000 might be a little steep, I agree.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pulling on just the top of a tree isn't a good idea, I pull on as much of the tree as I can. I try to pull on as much of the spar as I can and either tie a clove hitch or a bowline around it.

I'd bid it for 5-700 dollars. I'm the one taking the risk. 1000 might be a little steep, I agree.
I try to tie the cable to the highest leaf on the tree. Sometimes I’ll just poke a hole in the leaf and thread the cable through.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds about right to me.

500.00 to mobilize equipment and move to the site
500.00 for the work (take out insurance, bonding, etc; taxes; equipment depreciation; etc)

Depending on the person and their company, could be making a minimal amount and that's the least they would quote a job for.

Maybe add a second tree and see what the cost increase is. My thought is the price shouldn't go up much since "already there".
This. Distance to the site and access plus overhead. They’re not in it to lose money.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rent a trailer lift and get high for the weekend? Would be around $350 for a weekend rent where I am.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I try to tie the cable to the highest leaf on the tree. Sometimes I’ll just poke a hole in the leaf and thread the cable through.

With some of the advice given in these threads sometimes that really wouldn't surprise me.

Does that work with square ground chain ?

DP MUFF or not ?

If we're gonna throw suggestions at a situation we all know nothing about let's really get this dude set up.

I think before he takes another step in this situation he needs to find a 30 year old saw and have it powdered

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i love it!
i have had no success finding a anvil.
So my dad is making me one.
I made my first anvil over 20 years ago. If you were closer, I'd give it to you. Let me see if I can find a pic. ~150 lbs +/- IRC.

Horn was started but not finished (life intervened). Made out of 2" plate; welded the living crap out of it with my then-brand new Lincoln SP-175Plus welder*. I wanted to see what the operating cycle was, so I ran it hot until it gave up.

* That would make it 1999 or early 2000, so longer than 20 years ago. ;)

ETA: As promised, here's some pics:

IMG_0254.JPG_s.jpg_s.jpg

IMG_0255.JPG_s.jpg

See the shop press behind it? Made that as well. Same with the adjustable jack stand.

Anvil stand came from cut offs from a house(s) being built in my then-new neighborhood subdivision. The builders let me scavenge their dump piles.

Last edited:

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that's the bottom line

Pretty much anybody can cut a tree down if there's no chance of it hitting anything
If you aren't very sure of that and it's in range of your house, 1000 bucks is cheap
Yea, a thousand is gonna hurt. But not nearly as much as telling my wife I forked up and now she has to live in a motel for the next 2-3 months. That close corner is our bedroom. :(

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made my first anvil over 20 years ago. If you were closer, I'd give it to you. Let me see if I can find a pic. ~150 lbs +/- IRC.

Horn was started but not finished (life intervened). Made out of 2" plate; welded the living crap out of it with my then-brand new Lincoln SP-175Plus welder*. I wanted to see what the operating cycle was, so I ran it hot until it gave up.

* That would make it 1999 or early 2000, so longer than 20 years ago. ;)

ETA: As promised, here's some pics:

View attachment 422187

View attachment 422188

See the shop press behind it? Made that as well. Same with the adjustable jack stand.

Anvil stand came from cut offs from a house(s) being built in my then-new neighborhood subdivision. The builders let me scavenge their dump piles.
love it! i miss the days when steel was cheap…. then again that was when i was too young to know…. hahha

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, a thousand is gonna hurt. But not nearly as much as telling my wife I forked up and now she has to live in a motel for the next 2-3 months. That close corner is our bedroom. :(
Move Your bedroom first (make up a reason), then drop the tree Yourself?! :thinking:

Nah, rather safe than sorry.
Unless someone in the know from here can and will come drop the tree have it downed by a tree service.
Though, at that price make sure they have insurance.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With some of the advice given in these threads sometimes that really wouldn't surprise me.

DP MUFF or not ?

If we're gonna throw suggestions at a situation we all know nothing about let's really get this dude set up.

I think before he takes another step in this situation he needs to find a 30 year old saw and have it powdered
Just bustin balls. You know a lot more about tree work than most, including me.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get calls often to remove trees. I always entertain the idea, because sometimes it’s quick, easy cash. That being said, I ask for pictures whenever possible before seeing them in person, to get a rough idea of the situation… Most trees that the owners tell me are fellable, are not. And their pictures usually only tell part of the story..

O.P. - there’s a reason you were quoted $1k to have that tree brought down. My advice would be to get multiple quotes from trusted, insured tree services. Each person may see the task differently, or have a different, more efficient method, to get the job done.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get calls often to remove trees. I always entertain the idea, because sometimes it’s quick, easy cash. That being said, I ask for pictures whenever possible before seeing them in person, to get a rough idea of the situation… Most trees that the owners tell me are fellable, are not. And their pictures usually only tell part of the story..

O.P. - there’s a reason you were quoted $1k to have that tree brought down. My advice would be to get multiple quotes from trusted, insured tree services. Each person may see the task differently, or have a different, more efficient method, to get the job done.
Yes for providing pics first, and from the OPs own pics the first looked like maybe and with each subsequent pic the odds went down.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

DP MUFF or not ?

thus my post of doing it for expenses plus YT rights, the potential for YT gold might be spectacular.

Reactions: Lnk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag