High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

024 AV Super problem

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
6:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have had this Stihl saw for many years and is a fantastic saw but I was cutting a stump last week and the saw RPM's were yo-yoing up and down like crazy and has very little power. I took it in to a local Saw repair/sharpening guy and he told me which of the three carb screws to adjust (Top left), screw it in just a little at a time. The choke flapper is functioning as it should.

I tried that at home and still no luck even screwing the needle till it seated. Screwing it out made it just bog down as way too rich.

I know this is an old saw but was not used that much by me and the local small engine shop told me that parts would be hard to find when I asked for a carb rebuild kit. I noticed lately that it was going through fuel like crazy too.

Could the problem be a cracked piston or head gasket? Due to the parts issue looks like I will have to retire this saw (It is the good one with the black and white handle).

Any idea what this would sell for as a parts saw on E-Bay?

Now I am looking for a new saw. and with the same question everyone asks...which is better, Husq or Stihl? Seems the professionals side more with Husk, but I use the saw as a homeowner, maybe 5 hours per year so don't need something big and tough. A 16 or 18" Bar would be what i am looking for, dependable , low maintenance.

One thing i don't want is one built ion China and I saw a post where Husq is now building some saws in China so I NO WAY want whatever model that is built there.

Thanks

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like air leak to me .Could be a bad seal which more times than not is the clutch side .Not likely to be a base gasket .Could rarely be a torn intake boot which is nearly impossible to detect unless it's removed as they tear on the bottom side .
Old red neck trick is to use a little spritz of starting fluid around the suspected leak point and listen to the engine at idle .A tiny little squirt not like trying to start out a large worn out diesel engine in 10 degree weather .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting back to the OP, the 024 can probably be fixed. Parts are cheap and plentiful and Ebay is usually a good source. It may need a new piston and rings if it's
been run with an air leak like Al mentions above.

As far as a replacement unit, there are many good 50 and 60cc saws on the market today. Pretty much all of them have some kind parts made in China even
though they're not assembled in China (except for the cheapest models).

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for fixing my mispost. Yes, I was thinking an air leak also but getting parts might still be a problem and paying a mechanic to fix this old thing might as well apply that $$$ to getting a new saw...

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don’t want that old saw, I’ll take it off your hands! The 024S is a cool saw. Well worth fixing up in my opinion. Would be a good one for you to learn on! Take it apart and post what you find here. I’ll bet we can help get you thru it.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don’t want that old saw, I’ll take it off your hands! The 024S is a cool saw. Well worth fixing up in my opinion. Would be a good one for you to learn on! Take it apart and post what you find here. I’ll bet we can help get you thru it.

This right here ^^^^^^^^

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

An interesting idea but a windstorm knocked down a big tree in my backyard and i need a Chainsaw now. My mechanical skills are somewhat limited. I replaced glow plugs in my Powerstroke and just had my starter rebuilt out of my track hoe and had to take off about 15 things on the machine just to SEE the Starter. Took me an hour just to replace the new starter since it is really a 2 man job, working in the tightest areas blind .

I can take anything apart but putting it together right and knowing what i am looking at (the problem) is somewhat lacking plus being 67 I am forgetful on putting things together unless I write it all down. i think I have that Brain disease, what's it called? Old Timers disease?

So, I can play with this later i guess but in the meantime need advice on what type of saw to get for now? Thanks

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How big is the big tree and what kind of dealers do you have nearby? Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo all currently have good 50-60cc saws and you'll get all kinds of opinions here.

I think dealer support sounds like an important part of your operation.

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How big is the big tree and what kind of dealers do you have nearby? Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo all currently have good 50-60cc saws and you'll get all kinds of opinions here.

I think dealer support sounds like an important part of your operation.

It is a dead Fir tree and maybe 18" in diameter at the butt and pretty rotten. I already lopped off the limbs with my mortally wounded 024 Super. Very seldom would i be cutting down any large trees and it is more for cutting limbs than anything else that is what i really need.

If I ever came across a "Big" tree there are a lot of Loggers here in Roseburg always willing to make a few extra bucks. Roseburg calls itself the Logging Capital of the World.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lived in Roseburg for quite a few years and worked for the Bureau of Land Management there in the mid-90's and the Forest Service there in the early + late 90's. Yep, lots of guys with big saws down there.

I would say if you're gonna do business at Hobi's, I can recommend the Stihl MS-261. If you're gonna go out to Diamond Power, they sell Husky and the 550MKII is a dandy little saw.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lived in Roseburg for quite a few years and worked for the Bureau of Land Management there in the mid-90's and the Forest Service there in the early + late 90's. Yep, lots of guys with big saws down there.

I would say if you're gonna do business at Hobi's, I can recommend the Stihl MS-261. If you're gonna go out to Diamond Power, they sell Husky and the 550MKII is a dandy little saw.

The 545 would be a little less money, and still be plenty of saw I'd say.

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I currently live just a few blocks from the Bureau off Garden Valley but building a house on the South Umpqua. Got about 1 mile of river frontage across from the Fairgrounds. Built a road just to have the fire department and Sheriff be able to drive to the tweaker camps to put out fires and arrest the bad boys. Did a number of tree slaying down there but mostly crap oak trees I just pushed over with my track hoe.

I want to plant maybe 100 Redwood trees along the river and still hauling out trash and meth needles from the camps. There were Hobo jungles down there since the Great Depression between the RR tracks and the River.

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 545 would be a little less money, and still be plenty of saw I'd say.

Yeah, gonna have to do some research on the saws for sure. Don't want to spend too much since I use it so little but want some quality. i noticed Stihl has a lot on Amazon in the $250-$300 range in the size category that would best fit me. My Cousin was a professional logger down on the Coast and when he was younger won the "Bull of the Woods" contest. He started out with Stihl but later went for the Huskies.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably will cost you half of the price of a new saw to have yours repaired.

If it’s in good shape, you can put it up for sale here. There may be some restrictions on the sale section here, as you are a new member though.

Sound like the saw owes you nothing and has done its job.

If you want a quality saw that should last you the rest of your cutting life, I’d go for a Stihl 261CM. Another option, though I feel less reliable, Is an Echo 590 Timberwolf. The saw is available at Home Depot and generally sub $500 out the door. A bigger saw, for certain, but still light enough and easy to start for you. The Echo customer service and warranty is not something people have been happy with though, I must say.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I second the vote for the 261. I have one along with many other saws and it’s the one that is always ready to go. Fuel, oil, bar & chain and away I go. It’s my go to saw.