Stihl 024

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a running 024 for €100. It idles fine but won't rev up properly, it sounds really rich and gurgly, even with the high jet all the way out. I tried two different carbs and two different fuel filters, same result. The saw floods itself when being revved and dies shortly after the throttle is released. There was a really thick spurious fuel line fitted, I think this may be part of the problem.
Any ideas how old the saw is? Older and newer 024s have different fuel lines.

IMG_20240203_203929.jpg

Sauen

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you taken the carb apart and checked the needle and membranes?
And just to be sure, have you turned the H screw al the way out or in?
For me, the easiest way to check the age of the saw is to look at the molding markings on the plastics or the tank for instance, there is a letter in this marking which can be referenced to find the year that part was made (and thus likely the entire saw if the part is original).

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you taken the carb apart and checked the needle and membranes?
And just to be sure, have you turned the H screw al the way out or in?
For me, the easiest way to check the age of the saw is to look at the molding markings on the plastics or the tank for instance, there is a letter in this marking which can be referenced to find the year that part was made (and thus likely the entire saw if the part is original).
I took the carb apart, cleaned it with compressed air and carb cleaner then put in new diaphragms and gaskets.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if the H screw is all the way out it's going to be extremely rich. I would run both your high and low in softly till they stop and back them out 1 full turn and adjust from there.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on which 024 you have. They were made from 1982 until 1994. Have you taken the spark arrestor screen out and checked it?

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on which 024 you have. They were made from 1982 until 1994. Have you taken the spark arrestor screen out and checked it?
Yeah the inside of the exhaust was completely Red rotten with carbon build up. I swapped it for another exhaust which I know works.