024 AV Super problem

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't sound like you use a saw much. More just home owned type use. For that reason I vote echo 490 or 4910...or a 590 as mentioned above. Most bang for the buck and quite reliable. And simple.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you own any quality cordless tools...dare I even say cordless? No gas/oil mixing, fumes, etc. Milwaukee, Makita? I have a m18 Milwaukee and it's actually pretty impressive.

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I missed out n a used echo but it was too small, 14". You are right, I don't need a big saw for just a few hours a year use. I went on Amazon and checked out a few of the Husqs in the $300 price range but I am concerned about a post I saw where some of the Huskys are now made in China. I don't care what how low price it is, will not buy any tools made in China.

For some unknown reason, I never got comfortable with anything battery operated when it comes to heavy use tools, like lawnmowers so probably not going that route but I do have a Dewalt battery drill . Trouble is the batteries are so worn out they don't last long but it more than paid for itself, juat like my old Stihl saw.

I might take the advice here and rebuild it and see what i can find when I tear it apart, but I really don't know what I would be looking for if i see the problem in front of me. I only ran it for about 10 minutes with it doing the yo yoing throttle problem so hope the piston is not shot like an earlier post warned about.

Right now will narrow my search to a 16 or 18" Husq in the $300 range if it is Made here or Europe.

The little echo saw that I missed out on was according to the seller "assembled in the USA" So many products have parts made from all kinds of different countries these days.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I missed out n a used echo but it was too small, 14". You are right, I don't need a big saw for just a few hours a year use. I went on Amazon and checked out a few of the Husqs in the $300 price range but I am concerned about a post I saw where some of the Huskys are now made in China. I don't care what how low price it is, will not buy any tools made in China.

For some unknown reason, I never got comfortable with anything battery operated when it comes to heavy use tools, like lawnmowers so probably not going that route but I do have a Dewalt battery drill . Trouble is the batteries are so worn out they don't last long but it more than paid for itself, juat like my old Stihl saw.

I might take the advice here and rebuild it and see what i can find when I tear it apart, but I really don't know what I would be looking for if i see the problem in front of me. I only ran it for about 10 minutes with it doing the yo yoing throttle problem so hope the piston is not shot like an earlier post warned about.

Right now will narrow my search to a 16 or 18" Husq in the $300 range if it is Made here or Europe.

The little echo saw that I missed out on was according to the seller "assembled in the USA" So many products have parts made from all kinds of different countries these days.

If you ain't comfortable rebuilding it, there are folks here who can do it for a fair price. Just a thought.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Myrtle Creek Saw Shop is just South of Roseburg and has all the major brands as well as repairing them. Been a long time since I've been there, seemed like it was just off the I5 not too far. You could pick between the different saws and get old Bettsie fixed up if you wished.
As far as saws go I recommend the Husqvarna 550xp mkII for firewood guys. They've got enough snot to get you through the occasional large tree as well.
Now I'm recalling taking some of the equipment out of Roseburg Lumber years ago, everything was overbuilt 5-10 times from normal. Real nice country around those parts.
Good luck saw hunting and enjoy your wood cutting.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 024 which is not a redwood slayer is a nice little 3 cuber ,firewood type of saw .Light as feather ,sips gasoline .It was the smallest of the so called pro series in it's day .
I captured mine from the "dead " pile at a dealers, trade in $50 .It had little scorch on the piston caused by two things .Highly restrictive muffler and probably being stingy with the oil ratio in the fuel .All I did was gut the muffler, retune the carb .Never have had one problem with it after .I never tore it down not even a carb rebuild .
Unlike a majority of people I'm not impressed with a shiny new saw you have to lay out 6-700 bucks for .I can save them and I do . That 6 bills I saved would keep me in beer for a long time.:)

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup, I have driven by the Myrtle Creek saw shop a few times. Gotta be careful in that area if you get too far out of town up in the "Hollers" where they still make moonshine and if you go walking alone in the deep woods keep in mind what happened to that one guy in the movie "Deliverance".

They are permanently shutting down the big Plywood plant in Dillard, building a high tech one somewhere in the Southeast of the Country. I think I read that Roseburg Lumber just bought 30,000 acres of timberland back there.

I could take the saw down there for an estimate but again, it is an old saw and parts are dicey to find . I am not into shiny new stuff either....My "Newest" truck is a 1995 Dodge 2500 Cummins. , got close to 300,000 miles on her and the engine still starts everytime in about 1 second. That 12 Valve 5.9 is IMHO the absolute best pick up engine ever built...same class as my Stihl 024 AV Super..

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the offer but got to go to Eugene several times for some minor medical treatment for my hand so might be hard to get a schedule . I think I will go to Myrtle Creek and get an estimate and then make a decision. Diamond Power here told me they do not make parts for this saw anymore but maybe they were just trying to sell me a new one.

Cantankerous

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, i will take it to the saw repair shop in Myrtle Creek tomorrow and see what they have to say

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of Myrtle Creek that is where my avatar saw came from .Fact I e-mailed Rich after I finished it with a picture .