High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Worksaw vs Playsaw

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think you can have quite a lot of crossover, unless you're working a saw hard for 8 hours a day id say most play saws could work, and most work saws could play.

I think a work saw needs the best filtration, not as high revving, more emphasis on torque porting rather than a revvy play thing. And perhaps not quite as loud as a play thing

Just my .02

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me I like a saw I can depend on, rather mundane, does not have to be flashy for a work saw, just has to do a good job. I think of Frankensaw or hotsaw for saw for playing. I'm attempting to assemble a play saw out of a junk 1100cd and some 2100cd parts and stuff that never belonged on either. I could see all the work was played out of this poor thing, so making something to play with seemed like a fun idea. A guy has to have some fun too, and is a lot more economical than building cars or motorcycles.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Having worked in the OPE industry I'm old school and usually leave mine stock , maybe a muffler mod .
I'm not worried about how fast I'm working , as long as the chips are flying and the saws running good I'm happy .
I do have a ported 346xp that was done by my Husky dealer otherwise I would not have bothered .

I guess I'm just a plain ol work saw type of guy .

Last edited:

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For me I like a saw I can depend on, rather mundane, does not have to be flashy for a work saw, just has to do a good job. I think of Frankensaw or hotsaw for saw for playing. I'm attempting to assemble a play saw out of a junk 1100cd and some 2100cd parts and stuff that never belonged on either. I could see all the work was played out of this poor thing, so making something to play with seemed like a fun idea. A guy has to have some fun too, and is a lot more economical than building cars or motorcycles.

If you're struggling for parts I have a 298 complete aside from piston and cylinder, I'd be happy to strip it for parts of you need something

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Should be able to take your work saw and turn it up for play.
13.5k for work and 15.5k for play
The loggers here are running basically the same saws I build for play with a little less ignition and a smaller muffler opening.
^^^This right here^^^^

Although mine don't "turn up" quite as high as his... ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My work saws ARE my play saws!

I love the sound and power of my merely MMed PS-7900.
I love the tameness and fuel economy of my PS-6400.
I love the size of my Sachs-Dolmar 105 & 108.

I wonder what I'd like about the PS-5000 that I've been eyeballing for at least a month.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're struggling for parts I have a 298 complete aside from piston and cylinder, I'd be happy to strip it for parts of you need something

Not even sure where I am at with it right now, I found a couple things I could remember that I needed. Will have to drag it out of the box it has been living in and see. I think I'm getting close, will keep it in mind though. Need to get back at it, when some of the "work" saws get done.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If a saw still has all its oem parts then all it can be is a "work" saw. Some stronger and faster than others but still the same saw.
Compression and excessive sustained rpm and bad tuning is what kills saws,o and skidders,not how strong it is.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
work saw

ease of starting. would you want to start that saw 50 times in a day?

tuneable not finicky if its foggy or 10 degrees warmer or cooler

driveable well mannered saw.

im looking for a good idle I squeeze the throttle it goes wot. let of it goes to idle and set it down it idles for as long as I want.

I can cut continuous and not have to fatten it a little because of heat.

would you hand the saw to any saw runner?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
work saw

ease of starting. would you want to start that saw 50 times in a day?

tuneable not finicky if its foggy or 10 degrees warmer or cooler

driveable well mannered saw.

im looking for a good idle I squeeze the throttle it goes wot. let of it goes to idle and set it down it idles for as long as I want.

I can cut continuous and not have to fatten it a little because of heat.

would you hand the saw to any saw runner?
Are you looking for a saw or a wife? Lol

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's mostly to do with running temperature, whether a build can keep its own heat level in check. Then the filter modifications and improvisations can let a saw down very quickly when put to work...and generally do.

As far as the second part of the question David Young has about a good a answer as you'd expect to hear.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's mostly to do with running temperature, whether a build can keep its own heat level in check. Then the filter modifications and improvisations can let a saw down very quickly when put to work...and generally do.

As far as the second part of the question David Young has about a good a answer as you'd expect to hear.

Bad filters definitely kill saws! My 090 died because the top cover came loose from milling vibrations (should have used thread lock) and the saw sucked in dust straight through the carb. Noticed it just as she went pop

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
90% of a tuning problem is the muffler mod.
A fast wicked saw with a wide open muffler isn't going to stay tuned well but more pop off pressure definitely helps but take the same saw and remove the dp cover or put the screens in and it won't run as good but it will stay put better and not be as loud.
The strongest saw I've have will idle all day as long as the screens are in and it's tuned sharp.
If there even a little bit fat they won't idle long.