working on other builders saws

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
at this point all forward progress has to stop. I can fix this with epoxy. but it is up to the saw owner as to what he wants to do.

epoxy fix, port a new cylinder, or send the whole thing back to the other porter.

Thank you Scott for sharing with us a potential problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most firewood cutters don't cut firewood all day most everyday,a pickup truck load can be cut on a tank or 2 of gas but most loggers here burn a couple gallons everyday.
Yes cutting one tree into firewood takes a little longer than falling and topping one.

If a logger gets 2 years out of a pro 90cc saw then most wood cutters should get a lifetime out of it.

40 cuts vs. 4 is a little longer? I'm no mathologist, but that would seem like almost 10x as long, to me.

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My main question is, if the saw never ran right, why did the owner keep running it? I took a build off saw to a gtg for another member one time because he couldn't be there himself. The saw acquired an air leak which I promptly confirmed with several other people there and the saw was put away so it couldn't be damaged. Easy peasy. The second thing I learned about chainsaws was how to tune by ear. I know that's not always an option, but most of the time, it's hard to beat the ole ears.

StandInTheFire

Sheriff of Mad Woman Gulch
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When I worked for a large servicing dealer doing 2-strokes, they flat out required me to purchase a 125 dollar hand held digital tach tool. And personally, I think it's probably a worthwhile tool investment considering it's purchase price. However, I have tuned saws by ear for almost 40 years now. And once I'd purchased the requisite tach, I was left to go back to tuning saws however I liked!;)

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I worked for a large servicing dealer doing 2-strokes, they flat out required me to purchase a 125 dollar hand held digital tach tool. And personally, I think it's probably a worthwhile tool investment considering it's purchase price. However, I have tuned saws by ear for almost 40 years now. And once I'd purchased the requisite tach, I was left to go back to tuning saws however I liked!;)

welcome to the site

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see the jug area under the intake port being too narrow for full skirt support. If the builder didn't chamfer those edges well, they would rub the skirt bottom and rub it up, potentially. I personally woulda left those just past the skirt. I'm not for increased performance at the expense of longevity in a work saw.

I'm not sure how the boot being smaller than the port would cause idle issues other than poor vacuum signal. If the boot was larger I could understand it pooling at the transition. I personally try to keep the intake opening matched or just a tad larger than the boot opening.

I guess, conceivably, there could be a dead spot where fuel could wet the area where no flow is occurring.

I'm all ears for an explanation if you don't mind.

Edit: Looked again. It appears that there's actually a male extension of the boot into the jug? Is that a fig newton of my imagination?

Last edited:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
From my point of view it's a husky.....that's a big part of the problem ... :campeon2:

@drf256 ...I couldn't figure out what was grinding the skirts away so bad...good call.

Ported, not, auto tuned, not....any running saw deserves your FULL attention. Running a saw that's idling , screaming, bogging, bouncing cutting circles ect is not the builders fault...I've had my own saws vary almost a full turn in or out depending on conditions from the last time I ran the saws....temp and climate/altitude changes....tuning changes....
I have a tach but don't see much use for it on a modded saw....book numbers go out the door with mods.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the grinding is prettier than I can do, so ...it wasn't me lol.

Interesting about the puddling at the intake.. ...thats a new tip. thanks.

So, other than having too little oil in the mix, is there a diagnosis here? Any sign of an air leak?

I had one like that, died in 10 minutes. One of the best I ever put together.... carb bolts were too loose. :(

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was always under the impression that it took a lot longer to cut a tree into 40 18" pieces than it did to cut it into 3 20' pieces. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
If I'm cutting 12" stove wood out of a Hedge tree, I can't even get done with the damn thing in one tank. I try to get every thing 4" and over. Takes forever. A few fill up's on an 066, and you've spent a gallon of fuel easy. They're fuel pigs. If ya really want to use some fuel, slap that *b-word on a mill and make some slabs. Worst life in the world for a saw.
So time vs fuel?? It's all relative.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree that the opening to the intake should not have been opened up like that. However, I would not expect that to create pooled fuel. Both gravity and flow/velocity, should prevent that. I would only expect pooling if the cylinder were smaller than the intake boot, the opposite of what you have here. I suspect that if this cylinder is repaired and a new piston installed, that the idle issue will be resolved elsewhere, perhaps even in the tune.