Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for your reply. Been 20yrs since I played with a gas engine. I was aware of the FE and 385 series and their differences. I was unaware of the 429 having the Cobra version. I still have my 460 in a truck I'd like to stuff a 6.7l 12v in.

The last "good" 460 heads were in 71. And they weren't great. That's why I'm after the 429CJ heads.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last "good" 460 heads were in 71. And they weren't great. That's why I'm after the 429CJ heads.
You just need a set of the new John keese boss heads that will go on any 429/460 block. These are pretty wild heads and will support a bunch of power. Downfall is they’re not cheap

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While the 670 j-red is a nice saw it’s also a fairly old design and I’d be willing to bet the 400 will take its lunch money. The 562 will be a closer match I bet
Ya but......:D i love my 670 and i love my 562. They both have their own wow factor. Like is this 670 gonna pull me around the tree when im stumping or is the 562 gonna gonna hava a high speed come apart bucking firewood? My 670 turns like 13.9 if i recall. If the 562 was not limited would go 20k:risas3: they sound so violent:D i told myself im past buying $800 saws but this 400 seems like it would be worth it if ya needed one. 2F654086-0B82-4607-B95B-74E40E2CFCF4.jpeg

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya but......:D i love my 670 and i love my 562. They both have their own wow factor. Like is this 670 gonna pull me around the tree when im stumping or is the 562 gonna gonna hava a high speed come apart bucking firewood? My 670 turns like 13.9 if i recall. If the 562 was not limited would go 20k:risas3: they sound so violent:D i told myself im past buying $800 saws but this 400 seems like it would be worth it if ya needed one. View attachment 311523
Killer Saw

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Killer Saw
Thanks Gunner! If i could tie it to my dikto show it off i would:D its not even that pretty. Got a few beauty marks but man it just suits me and what i like in a saw.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TLDR

Did anyone answer the Mag piston question?

My understanding, from a certified Stihl dealer attending a meeting where it was discussed by Stihl USA, was that Mag won’t transfer onto Nikasil plating like aluminum will. My understanding is that a totally scored and smoked slug will still leave a near perfect bore in the cylinder and require only piston replacement and not cylinder in the case of a failure.

I feel it’s akin to M-T, which on some level, decreases warranty claims from poor tuning.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TLDR

My understanding, from a certified Stihl dealer attending a meeting where it was discussed by Stihl USA, was that Mag won’t transfer onto Nikasil plating like aluminum will. My understanding is that a totally scored and smoked slug will still leave a near perfect bore in the cylinder and require only piston replacement and not cylinder in the case of a failure.

I feel it’s akin to M-T, which on some level, decreases warranty claims from poor tuning.
Well if so that would be a major step forward Doc.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why the hell would you go to work prepared? The fugg is wrong with you? Then you actually wasted your time learning something about the tools that feed you so you can rely on yourself vs a repair shop? This is unheard of.

It even has a couple spare decomp valves, starter ropes/handles for the saws I use most..

Little picks to pull a starter rope through the hole..

Couple different size torx to change the solenoid every week..

Donuts..

A few CMR6H/BPMR7A spark plugs..even a CMR5H..

Dalls' senior picture.

A little bag with the most common fastners for saws I use the most..

Oh...a few fuel and oil caps...sometimes I take those out though so the box isn't so heavy..

a small bottle of blue loctite.

I'll see what else is in there and report back at lunch.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
TLDR

The piston is Mag according to all the Stihl press. Randy claims there is an ms300 in the works with a Mag piston as well. I think what you’re saying about magnesium not transferred to nikasil sounds right too. What was the other question about the mag piston?