Stihlms

Chris
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure why that would cause the carb to flood the cylinder with fuel
I have seen this before but if there's a bad crank seal even just by a little bit, the crankcase wouldn't be producing enough pressure to run the carburetor therefore he would be overcompensating on the high side of the carburetor to make up for at low speed. I've only seen it once before but since he just built that Chinese copy 660 I wouldn't doubt if it's a quality seal kit that's in those 660s

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen this before but if there's a bad crank seal even just by a little bit, the crankcase wouldn't be producing enough pressure to run the carburetor therefore he would be overcompensating on the high side of the carburetor to make up for at low speed. I've only seen it once before but since he just built that Chinese copy 660 I wouldn't doubt if it's a quality seal kit that's in those 660s
Yeah ok. Saw is sealed for sure. I did pressure test it when I built it and it runs perfectly with the oem carb. Has heaps of power and when not over fuelling runs rings around my oem version. Also, this 3rd china carb is not producing the same problem at the moment, just the other 2. Like I said, it revs up to 13 grand perfectly, then 2 to 3 seconds later just DUMPS fuel into the saw.

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah ok. Saw is sealed for sure. I did pressure test it when I built it and it runs perfectly with the oem carb. Has heaps of power and when not over fuelling runs rings around my oem version. Also, this 3rd china carb is not producing the same problem at the moment, just the other 2. Like I said, it revs up to 13 grand perfectly, then 2 to 3 seconds later just DUMPS fuel into the saw.
No problem I'm just trying to help.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem I'm just trying to help.
Yeah mate I'm not having a go at you that's for sure! I appreciate your input very much. It's just the weirdest thing! I thought welch plug for sure, but that only appeared to work for a short time. The high needle is around about 1 1/4 turns out. Maybe 1.5. Please keep throwing things at me.

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah mate I'm not having a go at you that's for sure! I appreciate your input very much. It's just the weirdest thing! I thought welch plug for sure, but that only appeared to work for a short time. The high needle is around about 1 1/4 turns out. Maybe 1.5. Please keep throwing things at me.
I'm going to follow this thread because I'm always interested in new problems. I'm always willing to learn new things. Social media is difficult to make your point across without expression. It's tough to understand each other without seeing each other and only going by words makes it more difficult.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to follow this thread because I'm always interested in new problems. I'm always willing to learn new things. Social media is difficult to make your point across without expression. It's tough to understand each other without seeing each other and only going by words makes it more difficult.
Very true! I can assure you mate, I'm not a know it all smart arse. I value input of every kind and ain't afraid to say I don't know if I don't. And this one has me stumped.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What did you use to seal the welch plug?
And what are you running for fuel?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My bad. I call all tube type fuel feeds "straws."
They/these carbs have a check valve in the high speed tube bringing your fuel up to the venturi. The blow-off valve might be messed up. When they give problems most times it is missed. They normally just seat shut or get clogged with black death. Oh boy. Black death: The junk in the bottom of an old outboard boat motor fuel tank. Think, tar like muck.

Tap it out and test it. Might just be stuck with machining dust. You can always hope.

Next place to look is in the carb body. People make mistakes in drilling port holes and fuel feed ports. maybe they left out a key air bleed or forgot a welch plug. The only way to fix it is replace or learn the entire carb and fix it. Been there, done that.
Remove carb :bash::b1: :llorona:. Replace with second carb. :cheeseburger: :confundio::loel::BangHead: repeat :icon_tfno::icon_writing::imwithstupid:study the carb :thinking::sleep3: :chuck: :dance1:test :dancer2:

This ^ IS the "Correct" procedure to fix a street raced Holly carb.

Chainsaws are much eaisierer. Smash it. Call DD at CCC, done.
Your Welcome :sherlock:

Last edited:

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could see the original plug had clear varnish on. When I replaced the plug (new plug of course) I used motoseal on it. Fuel is non ethanol 91 octane unleaded. Mix is 40:1 full synthetic Penrite racing 2t.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bad. I call all tube type fuel feeds "straws."
They/these carbs have a check valve in the high speed tube bringing your fuel up to the venturi. The blow-off valve might be messed up. When they give problems most times it is missed. They normal just seat shut or get clogged with black death. Oh boy. Black death: The junk in the bottom of an old outboard boat motor fuel tank. Think, tar like muck.

Tap it out and test it. Might just be stuck with machining dust. You can always hope.

Next place to look is in the carb body. People make mistakes in drilling port holes and fuel feed ports. maybe they left out a key air bleed or forgot a welch plug. The only way to fix it is replace or learn the entire carb and fix it. Been there, done that.
Remove carb :bash::b1: :llorona:. Replace with second carb. :cheeseburger: :confundio::loel::BangHead: repeat :icon_tfno::icon_writing::imwithstupid:study the carb :thinking::sleep3: :chuck: :dance1:test :dancer2:

This ^ IS the "Correct" procedure to fix a street raced Holly carb.

Chainsaws are much eaisierer. Smash it. Call DD at CCC, done.
Your Welcome :sherlock:
Have cleaned it so many damn times now! I really think that something has been messed up in the manufacturing stage. I have no idea what valves and other goodies are hidden deep inside but it sure seems that something in there just isn't right. And to have 2 do exactly the same thing is the weirdest part.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dig up a carb IPL that might match yours. No guarantees there either. AM carbs use what "they" think will work. I see cross breed stuff in them. Some Zama, some Walbro, some wtf... If you understand your basic workings of the carb type, high and low speeds, your light years ahead in finding the glitch or mistake if one was even made. They can be under manufactured, skipped steps and things just left out.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing would appear out of the ordinary on the example I have here. Have not tried to run it though either. As curious as I am to know the outcome, I think the reality of a final ride in the recycle bin will win out in the end. Sometimes stuff just ain't worth the time and frustration. One thing I do know about AM parts though, if you have a failed one, order again, maybe from a different source and the outcome is usually different.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing would appear out of the ordinary on the example I have here. Have not tried to run it though either. As curious as I am to know the outcome, I think the reality of a final ride in the recycle bin will win out in the end. Sometimes stuff just ain't worth the time and frustration. One thing I do know about AM parts though, if you have a failed one, order again, maybe from a different source and the outcome is usually different.
I think that is exactly where this carb is heading!! The first one was the kit one from Huztl. The second from an Ebay seller, which came in a white box and has Walbro written on it (dodgy pricks), and the 3rd is a different Ebay seller who sent me another Farmertec one from Huztl but branded HLiC. The 3rd one works ok, but idles a bit *s-wordty. So after all this "fun" I found 2 used genuine WJ's and they were cheap, so I bought em both. My biggest fear now is that I will install one and the problem will still be there, although that shouldn't happen as my genuine 660 carb works perfectly. But that is what these aftermarket parts do to you. They make you question everything, including yourself!

No more kit saws for me I don't think. Only fun part is the build.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a Walbro manual just in case you did not have one and need something in the future. Best of luck to ya.
Thank you Sir. I do have a number of carb manuals. Will definitely check this one out if I haven't already.

It is 4am here. Might have to call it a night. Cannot sleep when I'm thinking chit like this over! Will get back to this later. Thank you for your input.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It Might be time for me to start building kit saws and use almost all AM parts. You guys have pretty much ironed it all out at this point. Been following along on all the AM builds. The kitchen is the hold up right now. It have a perfect storage area and work shop coming this summer :) moving home.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The AM carbs really are a cluster fck lately. I just got through diagnosing a carb that would flood the engine within two pulls of the recoil so its not doing like the OP`s saw is but I had the owner mail me the carb, I tried online to diagnose and have him fix it but couldn`t figure it out til in my hands. I did a methodical teardown looking at each part very closely. This is what I found on this particular carb, the little nub on the metering diaphragm that presses on the metering lever was .010 longer than an OEM one, the metering lever offset was way off, couldn`t bend it far enough to make it work, tossed both aside. Opened up the pump side and found the pump diaphragm was totally incorrect for the carb, it left the impulse port and bowl completely open to incoming fuel, the fuel just ran straight down the impulse line into the crankcase. After installing a completely new OEM kit with proper adjustments I first tried a pressure test and the carb failed, there was an air leak in two places between the pump side cover and the gasket. No matter how tight I turned the holdown screw it still leaked. I could have just swapped the cover for a spare OEM one but instead flattened out the leaker using a couple of machinist files, voids could clearly be seen after just a couple strokes of a flat single cut file, several more strokes brought the cover flat/true enough for it to seal easily with just the gasket. Installed the carb on one of my test bed saws and it then ran just fine, will tune and hold a tune, reinstalled it on one of my work saws and it ran 4 tanks of fuel through it without further adjustment or problems. Long story but it just goes to show how bad some of this AM stuff is getting. Couple years back the AM carbs seemed to be way better and far less problematic.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Have changed metering lever spring. Renewed all gaskets

The last post reminds me about the aftermarket kits I've seen. The alignment of some patterns are slightly off and will never work.
If you haven't tried replaced the spring and kit with oem then you should do so. If you've already tried both at once then start inspecting the metering pin and shaft for clearance issues. The metering passage may have a bad seat connection which can cause intermittent flooding.