Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NASCAR does too
I did not know that. I used to follow NASCAR but they have went downhill over the last 15 years. We went to Indy for the Brickyard 400 from the first year in 1994 until 2002. We had penthouse box seats and they cost and arm and a leg back then. I cannot imagine what they cost today.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not know that. I used to follow NASCAR but they have went downhill over the last 15 years. We went to Indy for the Brickyard 400 from the first year in 1994 until 2002. We had penthouse box seats and they cost and arm and a leg back then. I cannot imagine what they cost today.
Sunoco E15 98 octane

They ruined it with the segmented races. Racing changed when Dale Earnhardt died.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember 1990 when it looked like he was finally going to win his first Daytona 500.......then a half a lap to go and his tire shredded. Dad was down there for that one too......he hated Dale SR

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, on a semi related note, what do you do to preserve the fuel system of a saw or other two stroke that is only used sporadically? I love my saws but don't get to run them as much as I would. So they can go for weeks at a time without being used. What I have always done is, when I mix up a new can of fuel, dump out the old fuel in the saws to burn in my four strokes. Then I fill each one up about half way and run it for a few minutes to circulate the new fuel. This is what works for me at least, of course I always use fuel stabilizer.
Store any 2-stroke equipment with a FULL tank of fuel!
Try and start/idle/blip/pissrew them once a month, at least every two, then refuel.

Works for me on all my Dolmar chainsaws and my 2 supermarket weed whackers.

I can't get E-free pump gas, and I am not paying for that other stuff.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Store any 2-stroke equipment with a FULL tank of fuel!
Try and start/idle/blip/pissrew them once a month, at least every two, then refuel.

Works for me on all my Dolmar chainsaws and my 2 supermarket weed whackers.

I can't get E-free pump gas, and I am not paying for that other stuff.
This!! If you take away the oxygen from the fuel tank (by keeping it as full as possible) you all but stop the fuel from breaking down. Running the saw dry accelerates the carb diaphragms drying up and breaking down as well. Keep your saws and weed trimmers full, and you won’t have near the problems with long term storage.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This!! If you take away the oxygen from the fuel tank (by keeping it as full as possible) you all but stop the fuel from breaking down. Running the saw dry accelerates the carb diaphragms drying up and breaking down as well. Keep your saws and weed trimmers full, and you won’t have near the problems with long term storage.
There!
I knew I wasn't insane.
Well, not completely - yet!

Fill the fuel tank to the brim, screw in the cap, wipe the excess spilling fuel off with a cotton cloth.

Old Sachs-Dolmar chainsaw manuals specifically state to store their saws fueled to prevent carb diaphragm deterioration from dry/wet cycling it!

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fill the fuel tank to the brim, screw in the cap, wipe the excess spilling fuel off with a cotton cloth.
This also helps reduce the amount of condensation that can form inside the tank. In the humidity we get in the summer, condensation can form very quickly.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This also helps reduce the amount of condensation that can form inside the tank. In the humidity we get in the summer, condensation can form very quickly.
What happens when you top them off in cold weather and then it becomes hot outside. Does expansion cause any problems?

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What happens when you top them off in cold weather and then it becomes hot outside. Does expansion cause any problems?
I've never had a problem. Usually tank vents are designed to hold 7-15 psi before they release. As a rule, liquid doesn't expand much with a temperature increase (gas is 1% for every 15* temp change). Now if your tank is half full of air then that can build up a fair amount of pressure which could cause problems if your carburetor doesn't seal well.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, on a semi related note, what do you do to preserve the fuel system of a saw or other two stroke that is only used sporadically? I love my saws but don't get to run them as much as I would. So they can go for weeks at a time without being used. What I have always done is, when I mix up a new can of fuel, dump out the old fuel in the saws to burn in my four strokes. Then I fill each one up about half way and run it for a few minutes to circulate the new fuel. This is what works for me at least, of course I always use fuel stabilizer.
if i know im not going to use something for a long time. i dump the fuel out and start it and let it idle til it dies. then pull it over again until it wont start. i always run e free gas and good oil. i buy gas and put stabil in and put a date on the can so i know how old the gas is. i havent had any issues with any of my equipment. i forgot to dump the gas out of my pole saw one time i hadnt run it in two years and it fired right up and ran fine.
sundays race finish was the closest in nascar history .001 the gap from 1st to 4th was .003 or something like that it was crazy

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if i know im not going to use something for a long time. i dump the fuel out and start it and let it idle til it dies. then pull it over again until it wont start. i always run e free gas and good oil. i buy gas and put stabil in and put a date on the can so i know how old the gas is. i havent had any issues with any of my equipment. i forgot to dump the gas out of my pole saw one time i hadnt run it in two years and it fired right up and ran fine.

sundays race finish was the closest in nascar history .001 the gap from 1st to 4th was .003 or something like that it was crazy
The problem was it was on pay TV

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have pay tv now...but half the season is on broadcast tv

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have pay tv now...but half the season is on broadcast tv
Yes I know Fox broadcasts some of them. Years ago (40 or more years) Daytona in February, Michigan in June, and Talladega in August were on I believe CBS. That was all we got to see. The Indianapolis 500 was on I believe ABC but was time delayed and shown in prime time. I remember watching the June Michigan race in either 1984 or 1985 when Bill Elliot lapped the field.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
now the races are split between fox and nbc. fox gets the first half of the season and nbc gets the second half.