What oil is best? and what ratio?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard of people running it in cars like that. I run it in small gas engines. Seems to help carburetors flowing between uses

not sure what I’m running now I think I’m out of the raisman full synthetic. I respected it. I’d buy again

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually I run my gasoline vehicles on it too. With very good success. Good orl
So, gas oil is no good in a diesel, but diesel oil is just fine in a gas engine? Different additives in them, I think, so it would be nice to know what is and isn't good to do.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert on this, but from what I've read, you should use diesel oil in a diesel and non-diesel oil in gas engines.

The additives are different for a reason, and what is good for one is not always good for the other.

That does not mean you cannot get away with doing the wrong thing, it is just not the best thing to do.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run Rotella 15-40 in older gas engines, and high performance engines. I usually add a pint of Lucus oil stabilizer as well. Some don't have hardened valve seats, and others have high valve spring pressure. The added zinc at least makes me feel better.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert on this, but from what I've read, you should use diesel oil in a diesel and non-diesel oil in gas engines.

The additives are different for a reason, and what is good for one is not always good for the other.

That does not mean you cannot get away with doing the wrong thing, it is just not the best thing to do.
The only problem with running Rotella (T4-T6) in a modern gasoline vehicle is the zinc can ruin your catalytic converter over time...this is only relevant to those who have to pass emissions. Shell has reduced the zinc content in recent years, which is why @Mastermind is on the right track adding zddp for his older flat tappet engines. If you don't have a cat, or care about passing emissions, then Rotella is great to run in a gas engine.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used the Rotella t4 15-40 for years. The cleaning properties are quite substantial. Wife had 250k on her Tahoe and started burning a quart every oil change. 3k miles on t4 15-40 and oil consumption stopped. It’s all my 02 Duramax has seen since new. Had to get fancy and run the t6 5-40 synthetic in the Ford

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At 20F or below seems synthetic oils are easier on equipment. Switched hydraulic/trans to conventional new Holland oil, took tractor too long to warm so pump squealing stopped. Drained that day and filled with synthetic, problem solved. Tractor is mainly used for firewood and snow removal. Warmer climates would be different, I am sure.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm listening. T6 is better for cold weather then?
Yes, in the one that has winter duty, I run the T6 5W-40….then I don’t have to drain oil before winter….handles hot weather just fine too. The 15-40 is a pain to deal with when it gets really cold.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, in the one that has winter duty, I run the T6 5W-40….then I don’t have to drain oil before winter….handles hot weather just fine too. The 15-40 is a pain to deal with when it gets really cold.
I guess we both need to move, so we can use cheaper oils!;)

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only problem with running Rotella (T4-T6) in a modern gasoline vehicle is the zinc can ruin your catalytic converter over time...this is only relevant to those who have to pass emissions. Shell has reduced the zinc content in recent years, which is why @Mastermind is on the right track adding zddp for his older flat tappet engines. If you don't have a cat, or care about passing emissions, then Rotella is great to run in a gas engine.
Don't they put a cat on diesels too? My dad's 1996 dodge 2500 had one.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I bought a NOCO 2500A booster. Holy hell....that sob spins the old 2640. Might not need to worry about oil viscosity. LOL

Screenshot_20221026-171009_Amazon Shopping.jpg